Do you read "His Dark Materials"?
  Yes! Love it!
  SOme of it.
  Never.
  Never even heard of it.
View Results

Mara Jade Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:00 pm
great trilogy. I don't agree with the author's views on the church, but the story was superbly done. I can't wait to see how they portray the daemons.
does anybody else think Nicole Kidman is a terrible choice???  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:00 pm
Man, my Old World History teacher and I got into a huge argument over the books today. He's one of those people with a stick up his a** about all of the religious stuff, and he won't even listen to me when I try to explain to him how it is more anti-authority than anti-religion. He actually explained to me what an athiest was. I was really insulted, considering I AM an athiest. It really pissed me off.

I've never liked him mad

Draug Heltikana

Excitable Counselor

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:10 pm
Weeelll--I'd say it is anti-authority-in-general, yes, but it is also very specifically anti-religion & even more specifically anti-Christianity.

Pullman's interviews, the ones I've read anyway, seem to bear this out.

(And, yes, I have read the trilogy--thought it had some brilliant moments, some ok moments, and a couple of clunky bits).  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:19 am
My school personally sent out a letter to our parents on how they recomment us not reading the book or to watch the movie. (I go to Christian school) I thought it was the dumbest thing to waste so much paper on something as stupid as that. It's just a movie. But on my opinion, I am truely interesting in it all. I'm going to read the book before I watch the movie thoguh. xp That's if I even watch the movie at all...Whenever they make movies from books it completely ruins the book. Just like they did with Eargon. The most horrible movie I've ever seen...  

Deadly Tea

astrum202

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:49 pm
Wow schools these days really take everything to seriously. The should lighten up. I mean we have religious freedom for a reason! even though atheism isn't really a religion. It's not like Pullman is pursecuting the people of the christian religion or anything like that.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:52 pm
i think the movie was horrible, they left out alot of parts but the parts they did leave in were great.  

cordyz23

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Flitterbye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:50 pm
I liked the movie, but I haven't read any of the books and I would like to. However, it seemed to me that there was quite a bit left out of the movie that was probably in the book.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:53 am
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I read the books, a long long time ago, and I consider the trilogy one of my favorites.

I want to go and try out for the part of Will. He's supposed to be 15, I could fit that, only being a little off.  

The Vorpal Tom

Da_Nuke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:18 am
I'm reading The Subtle Knife right now (Northern Lights was out of stock crying ), and so far it seems like an interesting book. I'm kinda worried about how preachy against the Church is this book going to be, but that's OK, I don't believe in Christianity or in the Church anymore. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:33 pm
I didn't quite agree with how extremely religious it got in Amber Spyglass, but I do concur with the author's portrayel of how negative it is for the church to have too much power, especially considering acts like the Crusades and Spanish Inquisition.

I thought that the movie was fantastic! I never liked Lyra in the books because I value honesty and her best skill was lying, however, in the film I felt myself warming up to her. True, they ended the movie before the cliffhanger ending in the novel, but I think that for film-plot purposes that works out better. I can't even complain about Mrs. Coulter's hair not being the right colour because I like Nicole Kidman so much! I have high hope for the Subtle Knife movie since Will is favourite character in the series.

MinervaEvenstar

ninja_lord76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:16 am
I just got the trilagy for Christmas and Im halfway through the first book I really like it so far but Im not sure I want to see the movie. I never do after I read a book. I hope its good though because my mom is draging me allong too see it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:32 am
The movie did the book justice. I liked it.  

LuNaTiC_aNd_PrOuD_oF_It

danniqi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:59 pm
The movie was horrid.

I love, love, LOVE the series == I preach it to everyone "read it or die!"

but the movie made me really upset, I don't understand why they did the things they did ~ it was made too much for "children."

It will be interesting to see how they start The Subtle Knife (if they make it) though ... since they messed up a lot of the story.

Anyway, I love the books ~ everyone should read them. Don't watch the movie first though, it will ruin a lot of the plot for you.

Sorry, just what I think.

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces