Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
When different traditions mesh (Extended discussion)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ForeverandAlways

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:07 pm
Do you think a pagan home of mixed traditions can raise children with an effective religous structure?

Say a Kemetic and someone who practices Asatru get married/hand-fasted/ect. and have a little one on the way. Could they be able to run a single standard of belief structure or would the child be bounced back and forth between one belief to the next, depending on who the child is with? If you found yourself in this kind of situation where you were a [blank] and your life partner of choice was an [option] how would you handle this? Or if you don't have a partner to put this in perspective how would you think a couple would go about this? Or on the flip-side do you find that it would be impossible to do such or thing?

((This is my first topic, sorry if its been done before, I'm new here. Hope to here lots of wonderful responses.))  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:25 pm
Welcome welcome!

Here's the good news with the example provided.

Neither are closed traditions within their texts. That means the partner can opt in if they so choose.

As long as the individuals know their boundaries and are able to be respectful to their partner- it should work out fine.

Other traditions that have conflicting mandates and prohibitions might have a harder time. ~shrugs~  

TeaDidikai

Starlock

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:22 am
Hate to put this out there, but I just have to.

We could almost ask the question: can ANY Neopagan parents can raise their children with an effective religious structure? There are no churches. No governing bodies. No unifying doctrines. Mostly just a bunch of scattered practitioners doing whatever in various parts across the globe. Doesn't sound too structured at all, at least when compared to more organized alternatives available. All they would have is an internal structure provided by the family; no community support unless the family was involved in a local circle or something.

In the end it's the parent's decision though. Some parents will choose to have the child raised in one of the two faiths and that's something they have to work out together. Others will leave the book entirely open and do nothing at all. Others still might educate their child in the world's religions and give them the possibility of choosing one completely different from their own.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:30 am
Starlock
We could almost ask the question: can ANY Neopagan parents can raise their children with an effective religious structure? There are no churches.
Quick! Someone send a letter to the ATC! They aren't a church!
Quote:

No governing bodies. No unifying doctrines. Mostly just a bunch of scattered practitioners doing whatever in various parts across the globe.
For neo-paganism in general- yes. But surely you aren't suggesting that all pagans everywhere fail at having religious communities.

Actually, the woman who puts SummerStar together was commenting last time that it was wonderful watching some of the children grow up attending the festival.  

TeaDidikai

Starlock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:54 am
TeaDidikai
Starlock

No governing bodies. No unifying doctrines. Mostly just a bunch of scattered practitioners doing whatever in various parts across the globe.
For neo-paganism in general- yes. But surely you aren't suggesting that all pagans everywhere fail at having religious communities.

Actually, the woman who puts SummerStar together was commenting last time that it was wonderful watching some of the children grow up attending the festival.

There are religious communities out there, definately. Seems that by and large they're pretty scattered and that solitaire practices make up the overwhelming majority according to surveys by people like Berger. There are some good communties out there, but if the parents aren't part of one, what implications does that have for the religious structure (or lack thereof) they grow up with? I know some multireligious households have decided to raise the child in the faith with the most external structure in their local area so they have that sense of broader community outside the family unit. Connecting with a larger base of people is one of the important functions of religious groups, though it isn't the only one considered.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:48 am
Starlock
Seems that by and large they're pretty scattered and that solitaire practices make up the overwhelming majority according to surveys by people like Berger.
Couldn't have anything to do with the quality of the sample.
Quote:

There are some good communties out there, but if the parents aren't part of one, what implications does that have for the religious structure (or lack thereof) they grow up with?
Well, let's ask Christian Parents who are able to raise their child in Christ without going to Church, shall we?  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:52 am
Starlock

We could almost ask the question: can ANY Neopagan parents can raise their children with an effective religious structure? There are no churches. No governing bodies. No unifying doctrines. Mostly just a bunch of scattered practitioners doing whatever in various parts across the globe.

I have structure in my practice. I don't just do things on a whim, and I practice a set tradition.
Contested.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 pm
all religious practices have structure. It may be a comunity structure, or just a home structure, it depends on the people practicing. As Tea said, some christions don't go to church and still raise their children in their relgion. It stands to reason that pagans could do the same with their kids.

It will be itneresting when I have kids.....I'm very witchy and my fiance is leaning tword gnostic. (sp?) (hes not sure yet, he says hes just pagan) Thankfully we agree on most things.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Secret Of The Moon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:02 pm
I think it'd be wiser to let the child(ren) pick their own path, let the read up o whatever... I think this should be the option of ALL children whose parents belong to a religion, or claim to have none.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:01 pm
Poetic_Nightmare
I think it'd be wiser to let the child(ren) pick their own path, let the read up o whatever... I think this should be the option of ALL children whose parents belong to a religion, or claim to have none.

As humans we have a need to teach our children what we know and believe. I was raised by an atheist. Growing up my mother taught me that magic, the gods, and the supernatureal don't exist. lol....clearly I didn't believe her. ^-^ I will teach mine what I believe, but I will not force it on them. They will have a choce of what they want to believe and what path they will take.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Starlock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:55 am
patch99329
Starlock

We could almost ask the question: can ANY Neopagan parents can raise their children with an effective religious structure? There are no churches. No governing bodies. No unifying doctrines. Mostly just a bunch of scattered practitioners doing whatever in various parts across the globe.

I have structure in my practice. I don't just do things on a whim, and I practice a set tradition.
Contested.

I wasn't intending to imply Neopagans has *no* structure, moreso that Neopaganism as a movement on the whole has no unifying structure and generally lacks the strong, established communities of more organized faiths. I was speaking more of the broader community level than the individual or familial level; sorry for the confusion.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:56 am
I imagine in my house hold our faiths would be practiced in private, and would be taught to our children as their interested brought them to it. If my daughter were to say to me "Why does mommy do X" I would say to her "Go ask mommy, she will tell you all about it.

If they get to that awkward stage where they ask "which one is true?"; My answer would be simple...."Which one do you think is true?"  

Ethermus Prime

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:51 am
Ethermus Prime

If they get to that awkward stage where they ask "which one is true?"; My answer would be simple...."Which one do you think is true?"
I would personally be more inclined to ask "Why does one have to be false?"  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:31 am
TeaDidikai
Ethermus Prime

That's the second one. But Long diatribes of mine are best left ad-libbed.  

Ethermus Prime

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:03 am
Ethermus Prime
TeaDidikai
Ethermus Prime

That's the second one. But Long diatribes of mine are best left ad-libbed.
Ah. I'll remember that. wink  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff