Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Ritual format

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:01 am
Something I read at another forum got me thinking today.
A girl said that she does not like the style of many generic neo-pagan rituals as they seem rather playful and almost like a fairytale.

If I am interpreting her correctly, I am inclined to agree with her.

So I was wondering: what are your favourite and least favourite 'styles' of ritual?

I'm a pretty matter of fact person, so I love rituals that are very simple, with minimun 'tools, yet formal and structured at the same time.
I'm not a fan of rituals that are elaborate JUST for the hell of it, or to 'add effect', especially if the actions of the ritual end up distracting one from what the ritual is supposed to be about.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:24 am
The only ritual I have which is full of much pomp and circumstance is the Eucharist; very "Read this, do this, explain that".

Every other ritual I have is far more......Utilitarian? Very strait down to the point of what I'm doing and why.

Some times, instead of doing the traditional method of grounding I howl. The Howl is supposed to let out what ever emotion I have that is pent up and as I empty that space the Positive Lunar Energy files it up.  

Ethermus Prime

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:52 am

I never got on well with modern neopagan Wiccan-influenced craft ( xp mouthful) for that same reason. I much prefer the simple yet effective methods of more traditionally inclined witchery, mixed with the evocative symbolism and technique of shamanic craft. Some call me Hedge for it, and I take it in my stride. biggrin I was doing it before I even knew what Hedgewitchery and shamanic based practices even entailed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:52 pm
I'm fond of well done psychodrama, but one time I was given bad directions on Yggdrasil and got completely ******** up.

I dislike overly flowery things and mixing of traditions.

I dislike when people sound too officious. There's a quality of hollow connection which grates on my nerves.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Starlock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:51 am
Fairytale huh? I suspect that a great deal of what Neopagans do strikes outsiders as 'fairytale.' xd Anyway, without having an example of that generic ritual (I think I know what you mean, but I hate to assume, Patch), I won't comment on that statement further yet.

Personally, I've yet to really write out any ritual in advance. Part of that is because if you have developed your own system of working well enough, you really don't need to. It flows freely and naturally. I'll think about what I'm going to do in advance (such as 'oh, what incense do I have that'd work well for this Solar Festival?') but beyond that, I mostly work on the fly. Out of that, a typical structure for what I do developed all on its own, which is nice because it makes it more personal.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:59 am
My personal style is very very very different than pop-pagan styles. Not sure many looking on would even call it "ritual". sweatdrop But that might have something to do with the fact that most of it is non-verbal, or at least what most would consider "mumbled". (Really closer to whispered)

I can enjoy pop-pagan ritual. But I do so more with friends than for myself.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:16 am
Starlock
Fairytale huh? I suspect that a great deal of what Neopagans do strikes outsiders as 'fairytale.' xd [/quoite] There's a drastic difference between being non-falsifiable while powerful and being fluffy.

Quote:
Personally, I've yet to really write out any ritual in advance. ... I mostly work on the fly. Out of that, a typical structure for what I do developed all on its own, which is nice because it makes it more personal.
Which is great when doing personal ritual. Not so hot when working with others- some of whom might not have a similar tradition to your own.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games