Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Benfactors: Helping you learn the hard way! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:10 pm
TeaDidikai
Deo, might it simply be a cross cultural description of a relationship?

I mean- one could argue that a Catholic Mystic has the Cloud of Saints as Benefactors- right?

If you presuppose that each person is a hero in the drama of his or her life on an objective level, yes. I'm not sure I agree with that assumption.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:36 pm
Deoridhe

If you presuppose that each person is a hero in the drama of his or her life on an objective level, yes. I'm not sure I agree with that assumption.
Or if you acknowledge that certain benefactors exist in almost every culture for the population at large.

The definition is broad enough.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:41 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Or if you acknowledge that certain benefactors exist in almost every culture for the population at large.

Watch me twitch. *twitch twitch* wink  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:22 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Okay- so why the twitch?

How unreasonable might it be to consider say- the Disir to be such a creature  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:54 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Okay- so why the twitch?

How unreasonable might it be to consider say- the Disir to be such a creature

I think it would be really out of character for them to interfere in such a way... Disir are less concerned with individuals in the family and more with the family as a whole - it's growth, luck, and continuance.

I have big problems with the whole idea that a single person can or should have the attention of scores of individuals who seek their growth. It seems really, really self-indulgent. It also reminds me a lot of contemporary neo-pagan influenced fiction, where the perfect main character has a whole bunch of people all concerned with their growth and development and dedicated to supporting them.

It makes me twitch.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:36 am
Deoridhe

I think it would be really out of character for them to interfere in such a way... Disir are less concerned with individuals in the family and more with the family as a whole - it's growth, luck, and continuance.

I have big problems with the whole idea that a single person can or should have the attention of scores of individuals who seek their growth. It seems really, really self-indulgent. It also reminds me a lot of contemporary neo-pagan influenced fiction, where the perfect main character has a whole bunch of people all concerned with their growth and development and dedicated to supporting them.

It makes me twitch.
Strikes me that within the example of the Disir, the Landvetter etc- helping the guardian of certain elements of familial life is in their best interest as well.

Also- within Ancestor Traditions from around the world, unless the blood has gone bad on either part, many would argue that the Ancestor does act as a benefactor for their line.

What if it is not "self-indulgence", but team work.

If a spirit or god has motivations to help someone- how would one tell if it was not for their own interests as well?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:32 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

It makes me twitch.
Strikes me that within the example of the Disir, the Landvetter etc- helping the guardian of certain elements of familial life is in their best interest as well.

Also- within Ancestor Traditions from around the world, unless the blood has gone bad on either part, many would argue that the Ancestor does act as a benefactor for their line.

What if it is not "self-indulgence", but team work.

If a spirit or god has motivations to help someone- how would one tell if it was not for their own interests as well?

This is all rational. My twitch is not, but it perseveres - probably due to something inherent in my psychology. I've got some gleanings of it, but it's nothing I'd want to get into in a public forum. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:38 am
Deoridhe

This is all rational. My twitch is not, but it perseveres - probably due to something inherent in my psychology. I've got some gleanings of it, but it's nothing I'd want to get into in a public forum. ^^
If you're up for it, can we take it to PMs?

It would appear the monkey and the cat have slipped their cages again.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces