Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
TOS and TNG

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HagarenFanGirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:41 am
In the original series, Kirk said something before the theme song. Picard said the same thing before The Next Generation, but with some changes. What were the changes?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:12 pm
T`prini
In the original series, Kirk said something before the theme song. Picard said the same thing before The Next Generation, but with some changes. What were the changes?

Kirk: "This is the Starship, Enterprise. It's 5-year mission : to explore strange, new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has before."

And I think the only difference is that Picard didn't say "5-year mission"  

Takori

todpury

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:34 pm
Picard replaced Kirk's limited time ot "on-going". My guess is the producers realized that they'd have a hit and weren't expecting to cancel the show like with TOS.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:11 pm
Also, I think TNG changed "no man" to "no one", right?  

Ginga

Lord Spyderguy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:14 pm
Ginga
Also, I think TNG changed "no man" to "no one", right?

3nodding that whole equal rights thing. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:18 pm
The two changes:

"its 5-year mission" became "its continuing mission"

"where no man has gone before" became "where no one has gone before".

Oddly enough, the NextGen DID have a 5-year mission,
since they brought the Enterprise in to spacedock for a tuneup
when the 5 years expired.
(That was a single episode.)  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Rigu Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:35 am
Kirk
Space- the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise, her five-year mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Picard
Space- the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise, its continuing mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:46 pm
Takori
T`prini

Kirk: "This is the Starship, Enterprise. It's 5-year mission : to explore strange, new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has before."

Picard also changed the words "...where no man has gone before" to "...where no one has gone before." This was the most distinctive change, and really an unfortunate one. Kirk was quoting word for word the famous words of Zephraim Cochrain, the man who made it all possible.

Picard (or at least the writers) were trying to be more inclusive, implying that "no man" was equivilant to saying, "Men only, no women." This is of course another PC absurdity since "man" has universally been the word to describe humanity, such as "mankind", and Tolkien also described the Human Race as the Race of Men. Star Trek has taught us that there is only one Human Race.

To change Cochraine's grand words, which Kirk and Spock repeat with such admiration, is just plain wrong.  

Wind-Whisper

TPila

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:35 pm
Wind-Whisper
Takori
T`prini

Picard also changed the words "...where no man has gone before" to "...where no one has gone before." This was the most distinctive change, and really an unfortunate one. Kirk was quoting word for word the famous words of Zephraim Cochrain, the man who made it all possible.

Picard (or at least the writers) were trying to be more inclusive, implying that "no man" was equivilant to saying, "Men only, no women." This is of course another PC absurdity since "man" has universally been the word to describe humanity, such as "mankind", and Tolkien also described the Human Race as the Race of Men. Star Trek has taught us that there is only one Human Race.

To change Cochraine's grand words, which Kirk and Spock repeat with such admiration, is just plain wrong.

Actually, Spock actually said "no one" as well, at the end of the Wrath of Kahn, signifying that the change wasn't really to include women, wrather to include other alien species. Next Gen using "one" instead of "man" symbolizes that the humans are growing as a race, and are making their place in the galaxy-- that they are in league with other species. I don't think it really has to do with gender equality so much as racial euality with other alien beings. But that's just what I got from it.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games