Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
ICBXx'x sketchies/drawings (new here...be nice....)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

VineTabris

Dangerous Man-Lover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:16 pm
Hey, what's shakin'?
I'm new here, so don't slaughter me if I do something wrong, I read through the rules best I could.
Anyway, this is where I'll keep my sketchies/drawings for you guys to critique and such. I don't have too many new things now, so I guess I'll post up some of my WIPs along with some older stuff.

Stuff about me: Well, I'm currently a 17 year old male, and I've been drawing since before I could remember. I have a passion for art, and hope to get a career in art (specifically, as a digital illustrator). Right now, I have a job mentoring middle school kids in art at an after-school art program (and I'm getting paid well, if I do say so myself). Uhhmm, what else? I love peanutbutter...like....love. Whenever I get mad at my boyfriend, he just gives me Resses peanutbutter cups and I forgive him instantly. Uhh....I also like anime....I'm interested in the more mature and well written/drawn animes. I HATE Naruto, it's one of the most overrated animes of our time. Anyway, what else can I say?.....Eh....uh.....mmhh......kay, I'm out of stuff.
That's me, I guess
~fin

(BTW: here's my Deviantart page if anyone cares to take a look. (I really need to update it, though x.X;; ))

WIPs

User Image
This is one of my current WIPs. I've been moody lately, so this is the result. I think I'm done with the guy, but if someone feels otherwise, don't be afraid to say anything. All I need is the background, then I'll claim this as done. He's going to be standing in the rain, btw.

User Image
Another WIP. I haven't worked on it much, but eh....Anyway, this is my elf OC, Lin, and my friends elf, Cobalt. So, yeah, it's yaoi. You got a prob, stop lookin'.

ARCHIVE

11/22/07

User Image
This was a drawing I did of my elf OC, Lin. He's not very original, but I like him. Anyway, I just wanted to play with colors, as I usually do, and I enjoy drawing girly men, so meh.

User Image
This one was for an OC contest. I don't know if I won yet, but I'm hoping for the best. Either way, I enjoyed making this one, especially the horns. I should draw horns on people more often...eh....

User Image
This one's from my sketch book. I need a lot of help with these. My drawings lose serious quality when I try to do it on paper. I'm helpless without a tablet and photoshop. So, yeah...lots of mistakes....Anyway, this is my naga. I love nagas, don't know why. :shrug:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:35 am
You're on the right track. I see two things you really need to pay more attention to though.

Actual anatomy vs style: You have to find a level between the two that work right for you. When you're going to use real lighting, the crappy anime anatomy doesn't work. A blazingly perfect example is how the skull is lopped off by the hair.

I would say take a look at how much of the head the skull really and how much of it is covered in hair. You can even lay one of your drawings over a photo of someone oriented the same way. You'll see that the top and backs of the skull are missing and you're putting hair on the flat sides.

Highlights in shading: You've holding back in shading the faces. Before working in color, make a layer that is greyscale. (Or use greyscale swatches only.) Lay out the values FIRST. Then you can go back and build your color on a new layer. This way, you'll already know where your highest value should be. Right now, everything is falling back a bit.

You have an awesome sense of color. It's great you add colored light, however, it looks a bit strange that you use color in your higher tones but your shadows are black. Use color to build your shadows too. It will look more natural.

These look good.

About the last one:

Watch the proportions. Hands are the size of your face. It helps to use the head to measure other parts. Then measure other parts against each other. His shoulders aren't broad enough for his neck and head. Instead of sizing up the torso, I'd size down the head and neck.

What I recently did was use my easel and mount the paper on it. I used 18x24, but it was really just to practice. Your arm is more free when you're standing. (Helps me out.) It will help you a lot to stop relying so much on digital versions of the same tools. All it takes is practice. Right now, I'm trying to get used to drawing in PS. It feels different from opencanvas. Just go back and forth. Sketch every day on paper just to get used to it. You'll be fine.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:54 pm
Hmmmm. your art is pretty much amazing.
But I noticed in the lineart one that the eyes looked a bit funny, the location of them I mean.

Some of them looked a bit stiff in the way that you posed them.

but it's still pretty much amazing.

3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:55 pm
I really love your work.

Aside from what everyone else has said thus far, what I really noticed in your pictures was that the nose was often too far off to the side, or the angle was bad. In the second picture, it looks to me that the character on the right, his nose is a tad bit too far to the left (but it may be me). His eyes are also angled/slanted too downwards. Perhaps level it off a bit. His ear is also curved impeccably high; I think you need to lessen than curve a bit.  

I.P.Freely

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff