Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Frenchcat53's sketchbook *first digital drawing added*

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Frenchcat53

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:39 am
Welcome to my sketchbook

A bit about me:
I'm 16 and live in England.
I like fencing, ju-jitsu, rowing (sometimes), drawing, reading and spending time with my friends.
I really enjoy drawing but I'm never satisfied with the outcome so if anyone wants to comment and help me with anything it's greatly appreciated.
I'd like to get the actual drawing to a good standard first before I colour them in but if anyone wants to give me some tips for when I do start they'll be greatly appreciated.

My drawings:
Best of Friends
Whiskers and Mischief
Whiskers and Mischief COLOUR
Cristos_Sister
Whiskers and Mischief TABLET DRAWN
HBC2 COLOUR
Cad_The_DJ COLOUR
Goholin TABLET DRAWN  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:22 pm
That's not bad, but do you think you can make the picture a little bigger? It's hard to give a good critic when I can't see what's going on, exactly. >>

From what I can see, though, the arms on both girls look too long, and the legs on the upside-down girl's bent funny. I'm don't think human legs can bed like that, maybe try making it look like the torso's also twisted? Um...I think the hands are feet are both too small, but I do love the designs on both girls. The composition isn't bad either! =D

Pann-yu

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:43 pm
I really like this piece the concept is really cute and kind of reminds me of a few ying and yang pictures I have seen around.
Another thing I really like about this is how clean it is.
For some reason, no matter how hard I try, I ALWAYS end up dragging my hand across pictures and smuggling them up so great job on the crisp look.
Wile I do see where you where going with this picture there is some room for improvements mostly anatomical wise.
Anatomy is a very important thing to practice and perfect when drawing in any style so defiantly work on that aspect.
Some things I can point out are:
- Watch your head size, both girls heads look slightly to big
- Really pay attention on how the neck and shoulders flow into the arm
- Arms should stop at the hips
- Hips should be as wide or wider than the shoulders
- Hands should be big enough to cover the face
- Legs should be as long, if not longer than the top half of the body - I hope that makes since. (This depends on style I think, in general anime girls have longer legs than most)

Ummm... Besides that and the feet witch I can't help you with, I can't draw feet to save my life, I really love the concept and the fun loving nature of the picture.
Keep up the good work and I'll defiantly check back to see more of your stuff.

PS: Try using a reference as Water Sorceress suggest but make sure that it’s an actual person not someone else’s picture and never, NEVER use an anime picture for anatomy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:38 am
Thank you very much. I shall think about what you've said when I do my next drawing. biggrin  

Frenchcat53

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:11 pm
Mhmm. And pay attention to where the joints are.
Esp with the wrists... there really isnt one in this picture. It just goes from forearm to hand...

Pay attention to hand structure as well. There's the base of the hand, and then everything flows from that. From what I can see from your picture, you seem to draw them a bit too short. Try lengthening them.

And, as always, if you still have trouble, go to a picture reference.
hope it helps. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:50 pm
Great job! I do agree, work on the hand strucure. Remember that the thumb is lower than the other fingers, the pointer and ring finger are about the same size, middle finger is longest, and little finger is..well..the littlest.
That is what I try to remember when I draw hands.  

3_twisted_roses

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:40 pm
Mmmmm There are a great many things that need a little tweaking.
I'll do a readline once I get my tablet out. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:18 pm
Could anyone give me some help on how to use my tablet. Whenever I try to draw using it, my pictures come out rubbish. My hand drawn pictures look like a masterpiece compared to it.
Can anyone give me some tips or something please? smile  

Frenchcat53

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:44 pm
mmmm... well, the only way to get better is to keep using it. Thats how I did it.
And dont press too hard. I find that my lines come out better when I do that.

soooo just keep on using it and get used to it.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:15 pm
Frenchcat53
Could anyone give me some help on how to use my tablet. Whenever I try to draw using it, my pictures come out rubbish. My hand drawn pictures look like a masterpiece compared to it.
Can anyone give me some tips or something please? smile

If you could see my drawings when I tryed a pad for the first time a year ago... it was just like I get back 4-6 years ago in drawing. But now I draw better with a pad than with a pen most of times so keep trying. It's hard in the begining, you see the others on the net make so beautifull drawings and you think "I can't even not draw a simple square good" but keep keep drawing. And when your hand will get the good movement then in less than 1 week you will be able to draw on a tablet like if you where drawing on a piece of paper.

The time to lurn to draw with a tablet depends also of the person. Before in my CG class there where ppl who get it in 1 week and other who get it in 6mounth. Everyone is different but don't give up it will come and you will be happy to can do a lot of things with it.

Try aslo different programs, I lurned fast with Corel Painter 8 (who is a program who give you a traditional effect and feeling) but in the other way I got difficulties with photoshop CS2. Like said above all depends of the person, try and look around. And then I'm shure you will like us all do it great soon. wink  

Sora Mayku

KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:48 pm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AllvQc90lq1OndwKQLjqFwLty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20071123195435AA7MgST

I asked it on Yahoo for you. xD Hope some of those help. Mainly, though, it just takes practice. I know it feels sucky when you can't draw anything decently at first, but try it on a program you know how to use. (I used MS Paint! xDD)

And just doodle fun things. ;D  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff