Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
I DRAW! D: - `Famire (Updated 9/11)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

`Famire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:06 am
User Image

Uh, hullo O:
My name is Kat, I'm 16. That's the useless bit.
I've been drawing for about four years. I took an art class once but hated it and have generally been self-taught. I'm completely unable to do anything realistic and regret it, but am planning on working on that!
I have problems with wonky faces and clothing folds. The faces are just wonky because...Iunno, my hand is weird or something. But with clothing folds I tend to try to make it too detailed and end up making a complete mess of things because I don't know when to stop D:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:07 am
Something more or less complete. My faces are wonky D:
User Image

Something rather less complete. Ditto to above comment. Legs aren't cut off because I can't or am afraid of drawing them, but because I have a terrible habit of drawing too far down the page and then running out of room. This is what happened D:
User Image

Something that I hope will be complete eventually. Once I learn to stop making random scribbles and pretending they're clothing.
User Image

Aand just some silliness:
User Image

Please begin tearing these apart! 8D

`Famire

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:57 am
I am super envious of you! I can't do folds worth anything. Yet yours look so awesome!

I don't find anything wrong with your faces. They are just stylized. So beautiful!

The second one seems like the eyes are a little close together. Other than that, they look so awesome.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:24 pm
They actually look pretty good. One thing to watch out for though is the shoulders. They're a bit too broad to be girl's shoulders. Especially in the second pic. In the first one, the legs are cut off at the knees basically (which I'm pretty sure you are aware of), but it'd be nice to see the calf off to the side or in the middle.

For the faces, the only issue that I have with them are that the eyes aren't aligned right.

That's all that I really noticed right now. Perhaps later, I shall do a drawover to make my points more clear (and see if I can't spot any more mistakes).

I like your art though. It has a nice style to it.  

I.P.Freely

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 pm
Teehee, I loved the fishie xd

You have a really nice style! You have just (like the great majority of us XD) to pay more attention to the anatomy, as it was already mentioned. ^^ And I actually like your folds, although they aren't much realistic.

About the first picture: avoid making cuts in the very joints... it gives a weird feeling, like if the character really had their limbs cut off. Of course, you don't look at the picture and literally think she lost her legs, but the sensation is kinda like this. Try to make your cuts between joints. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:59 pm
I'm aware of the wonky faceness. They're actually not so wonky in my sketches but I rush inking D:

I'll keep the shoulder thing in mind! I knew something looked off about the hip/shoulder size but couldn't really place it. Thank you!

Oh dear, I wouldn't want people thinking she had her legs cut off xD That's definitely something I will keep in mind. Cuts between joints - got that. :3
Thank you all so so much! <3

User Image
On another note, here we have an attempt at a full-fledged project just so that I have better examples of backgrounds to give (the only other one I have is some weird lavender clouds - not a good reccommendation)
Also pleasepleaseplease any help on the outfit D: It's supposed to be somewhat sci-fi, she's a mechanic and young and barefoot and weird.

`Famire

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:31 pm
whee I'm pretty much in love with your style.

The face thing? Your eyes might be a bit close together, it doesnt look like the nose has qute enough room...

and the hands looked a bit small on one of the pictures.

And in the last oen? for the clothes, you could give her a sleeveles tanktop/wifebeater type shirt, and then have a button up overshirt type thing over it? or mechanics gloves might bring the look together.... shrug.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:37 pm
I dids a redliner!

Shrug. just an idea? I'm sorry if this wasnt the pose you were going for...it's what it looked like to me. sweatdrop  

Yuri Mono

`Famire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:32 pm
Oh, that's not really the pose I was going for x3 I was just trying to cut it off at the knees without leaving a big blank space (which, in hindsight, I suppose I should have done...)

Thank you! :3 Yeah, I do have problems positioning the eyes D:

The hands, I will keep that in mind! I often make hands too small, I think.

Ooh, thankyou! That sounds like a much better alternative to what I have xD; I just doodled some random clothes on her so that she would actually have soe.

Thank you for all the advice! <33

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:06 pm
mrgreen
glad I could help.  

Yuri Mono

`Famire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:22 pm
Hummm background practise...thing.
User Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:03 pm

OMG, give the girl a white beater tank top thingy with over alls on... one strap hanging off so she's sexy looking without her even knowing it... with huge boots, maybe one pant leg tucked in the boots, and one out. Have her have big mechanic gloves on, and holding a wrench. Make sure the over alls are like "carpenter" pants, with the whole hammer holder... maybe a tool in the holder... Oh it'd be so wicked!

Edit: Scratch out the boots since you want her barefoot.

Call Me Stephanie

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff