Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

laaalalalalalalalalas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:19 pm
OMG i thought that wwas SO funny  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Ok, went from the book to the movie, The movies were really good, from what I understand story wise and graphically. And it was nice to hear people clap in the theater when the orc head got cut off by Eomer (or whatever his name was)

Now the story/book, have yet to get through. It is dry as old tinder and hard for me to read. it doesn't help that I was first introduced to tolkien by an essay he wrote about english. (the only essay to put me to sleep literally) And he is a linguist and only did the story as a practice of his skill. Heck they weren't even allowed to do a movie till he died.  

CastleAlyts

MinervaEvenstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:44 am
The Hobbit is one of my fave books ever! Lord of the Rings has a great storyline, but the way it's written makes it difficult to get through certain parts. And the Silmarillion? Practically impossible to read. I skipped big chunks of chapters to reach the end of that one, which is something I ALWAYS avoid doing as a rule.

I know what you mean about liking a lesser work. Roverandom is a short children's story Tolkien wrote, and I really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:32 pm
Has anyone read The Children of Hurin? I just finished it and it was incredible!  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

murphyad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:33 pm
most of the people I have talked to about these books say that they are long boring verbose and heavy. His descriptions, though beautiful become boring. One of my friends actually had points in all of the Lord of the Rings books were the person would loose interest and when they would start caring about the book again.

there is a hoobit cartoon movie, and they are going to make the Hobbit with people but there are going to be two movies  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:36 pm
I find trying to read LoTR like trying to read Charles Dickens. Too much extraneous descriptions to keep an interest in the story. Some here have mentioned the language usage differences, but this had nothing to do with my dislike. (I do dislike people who insinuate that not liking Tolkien means you're a moron.)

Another thing about Tolkien I've never understood is how many discussions and papers and academia he's inspired. I find talking about his works almost as boring as reading them. No offense.  

Wissakins

Lunar Kissed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:57 am
I've started reading The Silmarillion and am really liking it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:27 pm
I can see why some people wouldn't like Tolkien's style (one of my best friends with whom I share a lot of literary taste doesn't like Tolkien), but personally I adore The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I have several other books of his that I plan to read after rereading those two.

Slightly relevant and amusing note: I read Lord of the Rings before I saw the films, and I imagined Aragorn as black (I have no idea why), so Viggo Mortenson was rather a shock at the time. rolleyes  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Nimue_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:37 pm
Maze353
Has anyone read The Children of Hurin? I just finished it and it was incredible!

I've thought about getting this book---glad to hear that someone liked it. I absolutely loved LOTR. My 2 grown children both loved it as well. My son is re-reading it.

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff