Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YoukaiLuvr

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:05 pm
Has anyone else other than me read the books that suceed the Next Gen movies or the DS9/Voy series?

I have and they are really good. I think I saw one other person that obviously had due to the comment they made on one of their posts, but other than that....

Here's the list of the books, in case you're wondering what they are:

For TNG:
- A Time To.... heart
--------- a set of 9 books beginning with 'A Time To' fleshing out the story inbetween the movies First Contact and Nemesis.

- Titan
--------- revolves solely around Will, Deanna, and the crew of the U.S.S. Titan. (One of whom, btw, is Voy's own Tuvok!)

- Death in Winter heart
--------- suceeds Nemesis; incredibly good! I suggest reading the book Reunion first - a few characters are brought back from that, besides, it's a good book, anyway.

- Resistance
--------- sequel to Death in Winter; just got it, haven't read it yet; looks good.

- Q & A
--------- the actual maiden voyage of the Enterprise-E...and guess who shows up? (think Farpoint....) I just got it; haven't read it yet; looks good.

- Before Dishonor
--------- I just saw this book online (comes out on 10/30) - written by Peter David - looks like it might take place after Resistance. It's TNG and has Seven on the cover. eek

For DS9:
As far as DS9 is concerned, I think this is the best set of books to come around yet. All of these take place after What You Leave Behind:

- Mission Gamma, 1-4 heart
- Unity heart heart
- Worlds of DS9, 1-3 heart
- Warpath heart

These are all VERY good, revolving not only around the station itself, but Bajor, Andor, Ferenginar, Cardassia, Earth, and the Gamma Quadrant. It also shows the aftereffects of the war - on both sides.

There is another book, Rising Son, that covers events from the end of the second part of Avatar to the last part of Mission Gamma - only from a different person's point of view. I didn't read it and I don't think it's necessary for story understanding.

My jaw was on the floor nearly the entire time I was reading Worlds of DS9, however...that one throws several worlds completely upside down. But before I get to any spoilers, I'll move to Voy.

The Voy post-series novels were fairly good:

- Homecoming heart
- The Farther Shore heart
- Spirit Walk: 1 & 2

I much preferred Homecoming and The Farther Shore, as they dealt more with the aftereffects of the crew's return. But recently, there was a book released, an omnibus, actually, called Distant Shores. heart

Distant Shores was an incredible book; it was made of several short stories placed into one larger volume. It really took a step back and fleshed out a lot of the back story from plot lines that we were just given a taste of in the show. My favorite was one called 'Isabo's Shirt' by Kristin Beyer - that one fleshed out the talent night from 'Coda'; one of my fav episodes.

Just curious if anyone has read these....  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:44 am
Sorry, I havn't yet... If I could though I would start with TOS Books, considering it's my favorite series ^^  

Nekoni Awabuki

Red Roses in December

6,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:17 pm
I have read a few of these, and have been dying to read some of the other ones. I'm not too big of a DS( fan, but I love VOY and TNG.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:54 am
---_---_---_---_

I have pretty much all the books in ebook form

A Time To is in between Insurrection and Nemesis, not First Contact.

I've read all the VOY ones, and a few TNG ones.
Some of the VOY ones are breathtaking, especially the one about the planetary transportation system taking people into another dimension, and Voyager talking to thousands of other Voyagers, each with slight differences.

And the series of books with the Romulans and Shepherds threatening Voyager with timeline stuff...

I love the books. They're great for understanding the ST world better, even if they are non-canon, and they help with ST withdrawal. :3

_---_---_---_---

-[.Moo.]-

YoukaiLuvr

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:02 pm
-[.Moo.]-
---_---_---_---_

I have pretty much all the books in ebook form

A Time To is in between Insurrection and Nemesis, not First Contact.

I've read all the VOY ones, and a few TNG ones.
Some of the VOY ones are breathtaking, especially the one about the planetary transportation system taking people into another dimension, and Voyager talking to thousands of other Voyagers, each with slight differences.

And the series of books with the Romulans and Shepherds threatening Voyager with timeline stuff...

I love the books. They're great for understanding the ST world better, even if they are non-canon, and they help with ST withdrawal. :3

_---_---_---_---

Yeah...I realized that I made that mistake a little bit after I posted it...eheheh.... sweatdrop Oh well. The only Voy ever I haven't read is the newest Mirror Universe one - it's in an omnibus with DS9 and New Frontier, and I haven't gotten it yet. I'm dying to read the DS9 one though....

And yeah, Echoes is a good one, as well as the Dark Matters triology. Another few of my faves are Ghost of a Chance, Marooned, Final Fury, Fire Ship, Pathways, and Mosaic. I have others, but those are my fav Voy ones. I'm not kidding either...Pathways is so dog-eared...poor thing...and Marooned has been seperated from it's cover - I still have the cover, it's just come apart from it. lol  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games