Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Robin artisson- Yay or nay? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:45 am
TeaDidikai
Phoenixfire Lune Soleil
True enough, although if the nature of the dieties names are anything like the ones I have heard tell of (if indeed like any other Mysteries themselves), then it's possible such names are not necessarely speakable, even in ritual. Not out of any rule, but simply out of inability due to their nature. It's hard to describe really..
I understand where you're coming from, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you may be confusing the names with the idea that place holders are used for people who have not been initiated.
Not as such, I don't think. I mean that such a name may be incommunicable through human speech, and that there are other means (possibly phychic or symbolic) to use the "name" to invoke. Does that make sense? There is a similar thing in my tradition regarding the "true name" of Fate, both as a deity and a concept. Not even those of the same tradition can tell you the name, it is something you can only discover for yourself. This is what leads me to think in this way about the Wiccan Mysteries, if they are anything alike.

This is why I often speak more about the nature of the Mysteries rather than the content of the Mysteries themselves. I think this is one area that's been neglected, since most I've spoken to or read about are under the impression that much of the Mysteries are pieces of information or wisdom that are taught from person to person. In my experience, this is not the case. I'm unsure as to the stance of those here on the matter though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:22 pm
At this point, I think there might be too many assumptions in play.
I understand what you're talking about, but I don't know if it applies to Wicca.  

TeaDidikai

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:24 pm

Neither do I, but as I said in the other thread, it's intersting to speculate ^^ Since Wiccans shroud themselves in such secrecy and state they have Mysteries, all be it their own version of them (though aren't they always one's own version? ;D ), I just figured they're probably similar in... profound-ness biggrin I prefer looking for possible connections rather than analyzing all the differences. Everone else has already got that covered razz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:27 pm
Interesting. So most people just hate him for his attitude. Fair enough.

There are some things I don't agree about him but all in all I am fascinated by his writings. It has really taught me patience and to learn to research more to find all the answers rather than look in just one book.

Reading his writings has also taught me that some of the books I want are really hard to find and thus make them expensive sad  

Cunning Witch Angus

SadJamiee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:17 pm
wow i finally found a place to have a real conversation (this guild as a whole not this discussion)
i read most of the thread and i agree on the arrogance of robin artisson. but i stumbled on to him months back and i really enjoyed his work. it really made me think about alot of what i believed and what i was in search of. i then did some digging and read a most of what i could find from robert cochrane(all of artisson's stuff is rooted in cochrane's original writings) and i like robin's interpretation of it. i definitely found some of the feelings and beliefs i have felt but couldnt pin point exactly but all of the attempts that he makes at putting a definitive "this is what the original cunning men and women, witches and pagan in the anglo world believed", i find it hard to take as the final say.
i am a heathen pagan that uses what i feel connected to from whatever draws me to my path and robin artisson has his really good points and then the feelings that makes us all individuals, we dont have to agree to all of it.
but i do see a superiority complex shining through.
User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:59 pm
I personally like Artisson's writing and have learned a lot from it. I still want to read more about what is labeled as "Traditional Witchcraft" and find my own opinions from there. I am on my second read through of tWWotHH  

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers