Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply Fanworks
This is a problem... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pearls of Dimond

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:09 am
I have this problem with fictions. I love them more than canon, so I BELIEVE them more than canon.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:24 pm
i most certainlywould never hate sirius.
however,
i did end up hating voldie for a couple hours after i finished dh.
buuut,
i stopped that eventually.

r u m - r e g g a e

6,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Mrs_S_Snape

Playful Wench

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:59 pm
This is why I try to aviod rape in fanfiction. Because then it kind of messes with my opinion of the character. I also prefer non-cannon pairings over cannon.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:30 am
I too am interested in reading this fanfic. Link please!

and I've had a vaugly similar problem...only not with actual characters being clouded or my opinion of them changing...but with everyday objects. I always feel vaugly nautious arround pianos now, thanks to a beautifully written story wherein Draco was secretly a good guy the entire time and at one point Lucius punished him by making him play the piano for like...ten hours straight until his fingers were raw and bleeding and you could almost see bone. *shivers* I can't listen to piano music for extended amounts of time very more...or even be arround the things without the muscles in my arms doing weird things.

However, you started this thread for advice, not complaits of shareing your pain, so advice I will give.

Read a bunch of Sirius fics that showcase Sirus-awesomeness. And by a bunch...I mean at least fourteen. Because while a habbit can be built on a single instance, it takes two weeks to get rid of the habbit. So, one Sirius-awesomeness story for each day of those two weeks...but read more than one a day so it happens faster...then keep reading them!

...anyone have reccomendations for our poor Sirius fan that has had her mind polouted against him?

...I still wanna read that fic.  

FriendlyFangirl88

B4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:30 am
-=A=-
I never had that problem. I end up hating characters from fanfics, not the people in the book. Even though I am like: "Go Snape, SNOG HIM!" most of the time, when I am reading the books.

-=A=-

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:19 pm
I've never had any problem with that sort of thing. I guess after reading so many fanfics, you have to get used to going from one type of characterization to another which could be a complete 180.

I have found that my fondness for some characters takes over my daily life if i read too much, and get so used to 'seeing' that character everywhere that I start to daydream about them even if I'm in another fandom, but I've never had any trouble keeping their fanon and canon personalities separate.

Shi-koi

6,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200

ChellitaRiho

Dapper Bloodsucker

6,200 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:02 pm
I so agree with you! It seems that you have no choice but to change your perception of the characters in fandom-it changes from author to author, genre to genre, etc. If the characters remained the same all the time, would we even bother with fanfics?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:12 pm
I never end up disliking characters because of fan fics, however, I do sometimes end up liking them. There've been several characters that in the HP books I mildly disliked or they bored, but thanks to a few well written fan fics I discovered that they were actually cool.  

MinervaEvenstar

Drakie Cakie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:11 pm
I don't mind rape in fan fiction. I actually kind of like it. Sometimes. Depends on my mood. Sometimes I need some powdered sugar-coated fluff, and sometimes it's like NEEDDARK!FICS.

Though, I think if I read the Harry Potter books BEFORE I got into slash I could like Ginny just fine. Though, I hate her. A lot.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:22 am
I usually don't have this problem in fanfics...unless they go against Ron, Dumbledore, or Hermione. I don't like them much in canon so fanfics can make me hate or love them by their portrayal.  

JettaKD

6,850 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Fanworks

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items