Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Newbie here, needing help *sigh*

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LivingIsSuicide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:44 am
I'm very interested in paganism, yet know practically nothing about it. What would be the ideal branch for me to study as a newbie? And could someone please help me with it?

If it helps, I've always been intrigued with the Celtic fairy culture. Is there a branch that pertains to that?

Help please?

heart xd domokun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:06 am
Before I speak, a disclaimer: I am blunt because I refuse to lose meaning to confusing semantics. I may come across as harsh or even condescending if you read a tone into my words; I ask that you please not, and understand that I often speak as if I were writing a manual for understanding my viewpoint. Now that that's out of the way, I continue.

The first thing I recommend you prune away is the concept of "branches of Paganism". "Paganism" is not a unified religion; it is the over-arching word used to describe a large class of religions. By definition, worshipping deities other than the Abrahamic God (YHVH, God of the Jews, etc.) is a necessary condition for a religion to be labeled "Pagan". It's up for debate at times whether or not that is a sufficient condition, but that's really neither here nor there. For the sake of reducing argument, I'm going to go with the definition that assumes that it's sufficient. In other words, that means that Hindu, Shinto, Zen Buddhism, Taoism, Shamanism, and Native American religions are all Pagan.

Once you've come to terms with the fact that "Paganism" is not a unified theology with branches serving as denominations thereof, next we should move on to the concept of "study". From an anthropological perspective, the word makes me shiver, even if I know what you mean. But just to be a bit more of a verbal hammer: You study a theology; you practice a religion. We're terribly loath here to tell someone what religion to practice, or that the study of theology from reputable sources is bad. It's highly plausible that someone or ones here will be able to point you toward a reputable source for studying the relevant theologies surrounding Celtic Fae lore, but as Celts are a closed culture you may find it difficult to come by a religion that will correctly involve the Fae as more than periphery. I shan't pass judgment on your interest here; that's not my place at all. But I'll say that you may find that you may find yourself studying Fae lore while practicing an entirely different religion.

What I recommend to any seeker is to study theologies first, seek out reputable groups that practice theologies that call to you, and remember at all times that you are not a member of any religion unless that religion has said you are. If it's a religion like Seax-Wica that allows for self-initiation, so be it; if not, you do yourself a disservice and your deities a disrespect by claiming to adhere to a religion while ignoring the bits that say your claim is invalid.

Sadly, despite residing so close to you, I don't know any reputable Pagan groups in your area, or for that matter the state. I am a solitary practitioner of a solitary path. It's possible that you may one day even find yourself walking a similar unmarked road. My strongest bit of advice is to never close your eyes to the truth, never close your mind to reason, and never close your heart to a call.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:11 am
In addition to the good post Case offered- I would point out that the Celtic traditions are closed to those who are not Celts.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:17 am
Here's some outside sources you may want to check out:

Neopaganism - Religious Tolerance .org
Paganism - BeliefNet
Paganism - by Joyce and River Higginbotham
Idiot's Guide to Paganism

All of these sources describe what is more properly termed NEOpaganism, or modern reconstructions of old Pagan religions. The definition for Neopaganism can be narrowed somewhat from what Henry posted, but check out these and other sources on your own to see what's what.  

Starlock

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:04 pm
The site as a whole is poorly done and has a lot of unsupported information presented as fact- not to mention they treat ethnicities as theologies.

Quote:
All of these sources describe what is more properly termed NEOpaganism, or modern reconstructions of old Pagan religions.
Unless of course as Reconstructionalist theology has titled itself differently. Myself I am not inclined to assert that Neo-Paganism should be universally applied to Recon groups. While indeed they are not ancient, the traditions there of in many sects are old paganism practiced by modern people whereas I tend to call the generic paganism that was unknown in any form in the ancient world NeoPaganism.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games