Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Robin Cook: Dead.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:10 pm
Quote:
Former minister Robin Cook dies

Former Cabinet minister Robin Cook, 59, has died after collapsing while hill walking in north-west Scotland.
It is believed he was taken ill while walking with his wife Gaynor near the summit of Ben Stack, at around 1420 BST, Northern Constabulary said.

Mr Cook was flown by coastguard helicopter to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness, where he was pronounced dead, said an NHS Highland spokesman.

Mr Cook quit as Commons leader in March 2003, in protest over the war in Iraq.

Following Mr Cook's death, former friends and colleagues paid tribute to him.

Prime Minister Tony Blair said he was "an outstanding, extraordinary talent", in a statement released by Downing Street.

Current Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, said: "He was the greatest Parliamentarian of his generation and a very fine foreign secretary."

Former Home Secretary David Blunkett said: "This is a terrible tragedy, not just for those who knew and cared for him, but also for political life in this country, which will be all the poorer."

Keen walker

RAF Kinloss Assistant controller Tom Docherty, said the centre had received a call about a "collapsed male walker".

Mr Cook was walking near the summit of Ben Stack

"He was given CPR with instructions over the telephone from ambulance control staff at Inverness."

It is understood the father of two adult sons arrived at hospital at 4pm, around 90 minutes after his collapse and was declared dead five minutes later, said an NHS Highland spokesman.

It was more than three hours before police confirmed his death, as it is believed family members were being informed.

Following Mr Cook's death, a report will be prepared for the Procurator Fiscal, as is usual in such circumstances.

Landslide win

The Livingston MP, who lived in Edinburgh, was a keen walker and cyclist and a keen follower of horse racing.

Mr Cook, who first became an MP for Edinburgh Central in 1974, was appointed the shadow health secretary in 1989 and became the shadow trade and industry secretary in 1992.

In 1994, he became the shadow foreign secretary, a position he held until the 1997 election.

After Labour's landslide win, he entered the Cabinet as foreign secretary.

A Cabinet reshuffle after the 2001 Labour victory saw him replaced at the Foreign Office by Jack Straw, with Mr Cook instead given the job of Leader of the Commons.

He resigned that position in the lead-up to the conflict in Iraq in protest over Tony Blair's decision to go to war.

He had been an outspoken critic of the government's foreign policy from the backbench.

very very unexpected death there. very saddening, very saddening indeed. and it just shows us how fraglie life really is, one minute you are walking up a hill the next you take a heart attack. let this be a lesson to us all. live life to the full. ninja sad  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:34 am
He was a great thorn in the Blairite side and put up a resistance to the war in Iraq with "I cannot support a war without international agreement or domestic support..." and as such it is a shame that he is gone.

First Dr David Kelly, now him.

stare

Invictus_88
Captain

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:05 pm
Invictus_88
He was a great thorn in the Blairite side and put up a resistance to the war in Iraq with "I cannot support a war without international agreement or domestic support..." and as such it is a shame that he is gone.

First Dr David Kelly, now him.

stare
are you suggesting that the Government killed him? surprised never could our great magical government kill him.... ninja
ninja claire short next?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:44 pm
Grow up the pair of you. Using a man's death to make silly jokes about the Government is pretty low, whatever your political allegiances.

I admired Cook as a great Labour man who stuck to his guns and refused to tow the party line when it mattered most. Whatever your beliefs I think we can all appreciate the value of standing up for what you think is right.  

Fourcolour

wodewose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:42 pm
silly jokes?
the conspiracies run deeper than we know.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:13 am
Absoluetly sad to see him go. Didn't agree with everything he's done over the years but he aquired real gravitas through his dignified and powerful resignation over Iraq.

I think he by no means a spent force in politics either - a man with his principles, debating skills and diplomatic talents would have been ideal for one of those posts in international politics usually dished out to the far less deserving. Either that, or a return to cabinet in a Brown government wasn't entirely out of the picture.  

Pinderpanda 600

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:55 am
Fourcolour
Grow up the pair of you. Using a man's death to make silly jokes about the Government is pretty low, whatever your political allegiances.

I admired Cook as a great Labour man who stuck to his guns and refused to tow the party line when it mattered most. Whatever your beliefs I think we can all appreciate the value of standing up for what you think is right.

Heh, screw that. Death isn't serious unless you make it thus, and I generally tend not to.

He might have made a stand, but he was just the same as all the other politicians, trying to climb a slippery pole with s**t at both ends.

I'm British, I make silly jokes about death.

Not a problem.

wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:42 am
He was an Ugly Git.

But he was a lubbly Ugly Git.

*inputs her meagre pennies of thought*

Cleocatra

IRL Trash

34,625 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100

mattyp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:31 am
I left the country for the summer and we lost Cook, Molam and hell its not politcal but the loss of Richard Whiteley is enough to make me want to never leave the mother land again sad  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games