Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Why "insert prefix"-theism? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which one are you?
  Monotheist
  Polytheist
  Henotheist
  Pantheist
  Panentheist
  Agnostic
  Atheist
View Results

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:00 pm
Reynai
Henry Dorsett Case: You're quite right; looking back at my post I did speak things poorly. And, at the time, I wasn't even aware of the existence of the terms, much less the meaning of, Hard and Soft Atheism. But I like to think that I'm slowly growing less ignorant.
Learning is a wonderful thing. May you continue to learn forever.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:51 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai
More depends on the kind of atheism you're addressing. Hard v. Soft and I believe I was told at one point that there is a Lateralist Atheistic movement. confused
See, I'd disagree with you that it's more about the type of atheism. If we're discussing a religion that states "There is no deity", such as LaVeyan Satanism, then yes, it's important to note that the religion takes a hard atheist stance. But soft atheism as a descriptor of doctrine honestly sounds like the religion is teaching "don't believe that there are no deities, but don't believe that there are, either". It's a lot clearer when you're using the concept of theocentricism, since it gives the concept of "deities are/are not relevant to the teachings of this religion". So we wind up with the differences in -theism, -gnosticism, and -theocentricism.

That said, I've known hard-atheist Buddhists...again furthering the need for more clear terminology.

The central core of gods and Buddhism lies with the first Buddha - he refused to answer the question, likening it to asking why a house is on fire while still in it. I've always thought that was his way of slapping people upside the head and saying, "stop dwelling!"

I'm a hard polytheist the seemingly common (around here) emanations theory behind it. This is further exacerbated by my musings on matter being slightly slower energy and mostly empty space and the interactions of fields (see: Quantum Physics and molecular theories) and my conceptualization of it is more like matter being spikes on a congruent field, or endlessly recursive fractals.

The polytheism came from dealings with gods; they are different - profoundly so. The emanations theories come from being a bit of a science geek.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

patch99329

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:46 am
Deoridhe

The polytheism came from dealings with gods; they are different - profoundly so. The emanations theories come from being a bit of a science geek.

I can relate.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:53 am
patch99329
Deoridhe

I can relate.

For those of us with emanation mythos- how do you view that which emanated?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:27 pm
I misstyped above. I should have said that matter was FASTER vibrations, not slower. Ah heh heh heh.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff