Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Techniques/Tips?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Victor VonKeller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:42 pm
Yes, I just recently started to photoshop my drawings.
and the results are quite horriffic.
I believe that my sketches are better than my photoshop.
Can anybody lend me tips or techniques?

Sample:User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:10 pm
I know the issue you have. I'd suggest just drawing the way you would with pencil and paper, that is if you have a tablet. Otherwise, a good solution is to draw it out first, scan it in, and turn your drawing into lineart. Then you can use that as a guide and color it with your mouse. For a tablet, just draw it like you normally would, don't worry about the sketchyness. You can strengthen or minimize the lines through opacity and the use of the eraser, and also through an assortment of adjustments.

It really all depends on what you are using, and from there it will be easier to decide what will help you.

Xyirii

LifeAs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:38 pm
the only thing you can really do is suck it up and practice like crazy. Learn the keywords and whatnot and go nuts with it. Eventually you'll figure it out biggrin I myself just now am getting the hang of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:17 am
When I first got my tablet last year, I had the same issue.
Drawing and coloring your work in photoshop is unusual and unknown territory when you've been working with tangible media for a long time. I think the first time I used my tablet I almost cried. xd

However, nothing can compare with the life that photoshop or another painter program can bring to your sketches. In looking over your post, I see your concerns with your digitally colored image, but I still think it looks much more professional and finished than your sketch. If I had to choose which I liked more, I'd say the first. 3nodding

There are a multitude of great free tutorials out there, but besides that the best thing to do is just practice your butt off!! Even when it drives you crazy and you just want to smash in the computer screen, just keep going at it.

http://getty.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-for-soft-cell-shading-27544088

Might be a great starting point for you, because the artist goes through the entire process of digitally manipulating and coloring an image. Good luck!  

Avali_Sunstrider

sadaoakimichi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:45 pm
It's hard to feel your work is as good in photoshop as it was just a sketch because in a sketch you have all the details there, all the extra lines that give it a feel of how much effort was used. Photoshop is made to clean up and accent the work, but since both you and I are new to it, all it does is clean it up. It hides all the underwork and makes it look simpler than it actually is. I've never had a tablet before, and I just got photoshop for the first time about a month ago, so I feel your pain.

However, your work does look good colored. You've already got the art of adding texture down. I've never been able to bring texture to my pictures. With that you deffinitly bring life to your drawing, photoshopped or sketched.

I haven't really got any techniques since I'm still learning too. I'll let you know if I come across them though  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:43 am
what is tablet?is that downloadable?  

jian19

Breezies

6,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:14 pm
jian19
what is tablet?is that downloadable?

Uh, no. It's a device thing you can use do draw on the computer with. You can go to wacom.com to see some. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm
I got just the same problem too. When the art been photoshop it seems that it'll lost most of the precious effort you thrown for the sketches. ._.ll till now I haven't master photoshop (and I don't have that tablet thingie, just by using mouse)  

Tahiko_Suki

Danaidae

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:34 pm
If you don't have a tablet, practice! After a couple of months when I first started drawing digitally, my control over my mouse improved and the results weren't too shabby though they were mighty sketchy. If sketchiness is something you're looking to avoid, the pen tool is so convenient that it can be your next best friend on PS. Scanning is a good option too!

If you do have a tablet, it takes practice as well. I've had mine for a few months now and I still haven't gotten the hang of it. Tutorials and speed paints can really help give you a feel for it.  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:56 pm
With a tablet, it's a lot easier to make the strokes smoother but with a mouse you can achieve the same thing if you go slower with it.

I do clean lineart by zooming in really close and and doing the lineart with a small round brush so it doesn't look scraggly. It's best to do the lines first for details and stuff before coloring. I do my coloring on different layers so I can go back and change the colors if I want or overlap colors with opacity.  

Rezseni

5,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items