Marine Wolf Riders Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:22 pm
Ruric Torrune
Now that I think about it, isn't there already a Chapter called the Storm Gryphons? Don't they have a red and yellow checkered color scheme?

Did a quick google and google image search along with a nice Space marine Chapter Guide on the GWUK site. Nothing about it.

-Mykal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:05 pm
fire - link
ok, i wasnt clear before:

i wanted a custom gryphon, i wanted it to be completely unique. so i greenstuffed and used other gear to construct it. it failed, so im now building it almost purely from modelling clay kinda stuff (its not clay though, but it looks like it) around a really cool (almost skeletal looking) wire frame.

the kinetica's dont fire from the eyes, it is a gun (i thought a new chapter should have a cool new weapon)

the wolves arnt bikes, they are a replacement as my army doesnt use bikes, they are pretty much marines that can move 12" (hence that they dont have twinlinked bolters)

i have been working on both a webiste and badge for them, when i publish the site i will post a link so that you can all see it, the site team has been working on comic strips and conversion guides for the site.

i built the wolves without any custom stuff added (no pipes and stuff) to see what they would look like, i have, after reading your criticism, decided to green and glue some metal plates, etc to the wolves, i hav so far added metal to 1 wolf and a bionic eye to another.

I didnt say they fire from the eyes, Im saying it doesnt fit the theme. Youll notice the classic chapters and legions, and even fan ones usually have a theme. Yours is sort of helter skelter.

Also, if they move 12 inches, but dont have twin linked bolters, then make them assault marines. As for new chapter, new weapon. I dont know where you got that. The imperium is pumping out chapters at a nice little pace, and the new chapters are worse off then the original 20 and theyre successors.

Now that i think about it, whered the wolves thing comefrom? Why are you set on that. Also, arent there gryphon models in fantasy? Why not buy some of them, and make mairnes mounted on them and count them as landspeeders. Itd fit much more with deepstriking, skimming, and so on.

King Kento

King Kento

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:06 pm
Ruric Torrune
Now that I think about it, isn't there already a Chapter called the Storm Gryphons? Don't they have a red and yellow checkered color scheme?

Youre probably thinking Storm Lords, or Howling Gryphons. Those are two relatively popular chapters that seem to appear in a lot of fluff.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:25 pm
King Kento
Ruric Torrune

Youre probably thinking Storm Lords, or Howling Gryphons. Those are two relatively popular chapters that seem to appear in a lot of fluff.

Now that I think about it, it was the Howling Gryphons I'm thinking of. One of my buddies has a realy old army of them. One of the biggest armys I've ever seen too.  

Ruric Torrune

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:00 am
jesus! there are only about 3 other people who have read what i have said!

THE WOLF RIDERS ARE NOT BIKERS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM! AS BIKES CANT BE USED IN MOUNTAINS THEY USE WOLVES, THIS DOESNT MEAN THEY ARE BIKERS!!! I DIDNT ONCE SAY THEY WERE BIKES OR BIKERS!

k then, rant over... for now... also, i dont want the existing gryphon, i wanted a custom one. but i have reformed the wire frame into a dragon, and i am now building a large dragon for my high elf army

also, the name "storm gryphons" has had a lot of controversy here, so it is now the "Adeptus Nestrum" (happy now?) (the name is derived for the name for space marines in general; adeptus astartes, and from the name of the commander that appears in my backstory, Nestra.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:32 pm
fire - link

THE WOLF RIDERS ARE NOT BIKERS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM! AS BIKES CANT BE USED IN MOUNTAINS THEY USE WOLVES, THIS DOESNT MEAN THEY ARE BIKERS!!! I DIDNT ONCE SAY THEY WERE BIKES OR BIKERS!

fire - link's first post
so thats the army info, but instead of bikes, i used wolf riders, a full conversion:

k then, rant over...

Yes...I don't mean to provoke, but you did say it.
As an olive branch, I give you some thought of my own on your chapter, that some may consider constructive:

The name isn't a problem, it's the mixture of wolves and gryphons that I see as problematic. However, seeing as you have decided to change the name, I'd like to actually complain now: The Adeptus is a way, or the school. The way of the Space Marine, the school of the Titan, the way of the Machine - so to speak. So the way of Nesta would be the same as the way of Marneus Calgar, and he's one of the Astartes, the Marines.

Personally, I'd try to look into other languages, like WH40k's bastardised Latin, for naming inspiration.

"Canis lupus" is "Grey Wolf" in Latin, so if you play about with it, you might come up with something that's very fitting. Lupus Raiders? Astartae Lupus? Grey Wolves are large and hunt in packs, so perhaps your Chapter background can run off of that?

"Canis dirus" is the Latin for the now extinct "Dire Wolf". Does "Dirus Marines" do it for you? Also, the word dire means "desperate", and in some uses it can be taken as "feral" or "wild", so perhaps you can play off that? Are they a forlorn and sorrowful chapter like the Dark Angels? If so, the Dire Wolf lineage could be for you.

Check this link, and then decide what inspiration (Nordic, American, Asian, etc) you might want to add in the choice of weapons (think the Guard regiments) and then use the wolf theme even more.

One final thing, if you can convert a 13th Company Wulfen to be your HQ leader, and have all the other Marines being non-mutated, then he would really stand out on the table. Then work in some fluff about the Eye of Terror, and perhaps they could be a successor to the Space Wolves, but using a Vanilla, or even a Dark Angels or Templar Codex, so you don't need to use the Rune Priests and whatever else Space Wolves have.

Well, there's a nice wall of text for you.
Enjoy?

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:47 pm
that is great stuff to work on thanks!

only 2 things that dont work:

1, the wulfun-HQ choice, my army already contains 2 HQ and they arnt actually wolves, the wolves are used because their chapter fortress is atop a mountain, and bikes cant ride up mountains, whereas wolves can get up and down mountains easily. other than that they have nothing to do with wolves

2, Adeptus Nestra means "the teachings of Nestra" from where the chapter was renamed after Nestra's death. this was a delibarate name, i made a mistake in how i described it the 1st time however.

other than that, its brilliant, thanks!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:52 pm
fire - link
that is great stuff to work on thanks!

only 2 things that dont work:

1, the wulfun-HQ choice, my army already contains 2 HQ and they arnt actually wolves, the wolves are used because their chapter fortress is atop a mountain, and bikes cant ride up mountains, whereas wolves can get up and down mountains easily. other than that they have nothing to do with wolves

2, Adeptus Nestra means "the teachings of Nestra" from where the chapter was renamed after Nestra's death. this was a delibarate name, i made a mistake in how i described it the 1st time however.

other than that, its brilliant, thanks!

Consists of 2HQ, but with Apocalypse coming up, it can't hurt to have more.

Just think of how awesome he'd look!

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:56 pm
i have a freind who plays space wolves, but im not interested in mutating any of my army. (though i am working on a ghost model to play Nestra in games set after his death in my backstory, (when ballech is commander instead of honour guard  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:31 pm
its a good idea, i like it  

screaming_hawk

King Kento

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:49 pm
fire - link

k then, rant over... for now... also, i dont want the existing gryphon, i wanted a custom one. but i have reformed the wire frame into a dragon, and i am now building a large dragon for my high elf army

also, the name "storm gryphons" has had a lot of controversy here, so it is now the "Adeptus Nestrum" (happy now?) (the name is derived for the name for space marines in general; adeptus astartes, and from the name of the commander that appears in my backstory, Nestra.

I dont rememebr saying they were bikes. Id have more problems with your chapter ideas if they were. If soemone is going to be accused of not reading what others say, thatd be you. You keep repeating this over and over, but dont really comment on others' suggestions.

Firstly, you need to chill, its fanfiction. Ultimately, we can tell you that your army doesnt match the 40k storyline and could never happen in canon fluff, and that your made up rules are overpowered. However, as its fanmade anyways, and ultimately its up to your opponents whether you can use your own rules or not, then you can choose to ignore us.

Also, Adeptus Nestrum is also off, makes them sound like a military branch. You have Adeptus Sororitas, Adeptus Astartes, Adeptus Arbites, and probably one or two others. Perhaps Chapter Nestrum, or some such if you want to promote their commander or whoever. (So no Im not happy now)

Also, as for mountains, the White Scars chapter fortress is in mountains, their training and recruiting takes place in the mountains, yet they use bikes. The space wolves have the Fang, biggest mountain I know of in the 40k fictional world, and they have bikes. And as I said prviously, instead of your own rules for these wolf dudes, why not just count them as assualt marines, same movement ability, and its legal.

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff