Reply Music - Related Topics
Other genres a Goth-Rock/DR/DW fan might like

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:06 pm
I am a big fan of goth rock and darkwave, and enjoy a bit of death rock and post punk.

I'm wondering what else you think I should try. My iPod can hold about 20,000 songs, and has less than 300. -_-  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:16 pm
Well, maybe try some gothabilly (ex: Those Poor Bastards), horror punk (ex: The Misfits), psychobilly (ex: Horrorpops), or proto-goth (ex: Adam and the Ants)  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:39 am
You might like the French Coldwave (L'enfance Eternelle, Coldreams, etc.), a semi-local post-punk movement in France which (to a degree) acted as the precursor to darkwave.

And of course, one of my favorite genres, dark cabaret (Humanwine, The Eyesores, etc.). A lot of goth artists played major influence to the genre, including Rozz Williams, the Virgin Prunes, and Siouxsie Sioux.

A commonly forgotten movement was that of Krautrock (Faust, etc.). While the term originally started as a derogatory descriptor to all German rock, it eventually came to label a very bleak movement of experimental electronic and rock music in 60's and 70's Germany. Not commonly cited as such, the genre was pretty influential to post-punk, goth, darkwave, electronica, and (to a larger degree than any other) industrial.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:43 am
Those are all fun! biggrin

Thanks.

And, if anyone else has some ideas, I also like:

EBM

Industrial/Noise

Ambient (esp. Dark Ambient), Psy-Trance, Goa Trance, Hardcore/Darkcore Techno, Trancecore, and other, similar types of EDM, along with IDM and stuff.

What's some good punk?

(Sorry for jumping all over the place. I have ADHD, and I'm desperate for music. razz )  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:04 pm
GilAskan

And of course, one of my favorite genres, dark cabaret (Humanwine, The Eyesores, etc.). A lot of goth artists played major influence to the genre, including Rozz Williams, the Virgin Prunes, and Siouxsie Sioux.

I see... Erm... how do you find this stuff? sweatdrop

I found one thing on Amazon for Dark Cabaret... but that's it. :S  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:07 pm
_PsychoPathic-Tend3ncies_
Those are all fun! biggrin

Thanks.

And, if anyone else has some ideas, I also like:

EBM

Industrial/Noise

Ambient (esp. Dark Ambient), Psy-Trance, Goa Trance, Hardcore/Darkcore Techno, Trancecore, and other, similar types of EDM, along with IDM and stuff.

What's some good punk?

(Sorry for jumping all over the place. I have ADHD, and I'm desperate for music. razz )

If you want punk that's really fun, try The Adicts; more specifically, try looking for The Collection - it contains their albums "Sound of Music" and "Smart Alex".

Or on the more familiar side, try early Siouxsie and the Banshees; their album "The Scream" is a great example of their punk days.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:34 pm
_PsychoPathic-Tend3ncies_
GilAskan

I see... Erm... how do you find this stuff? sweatdrop

I found one thing on Amazon for Dark Cabaret... but that's it. :S

If you check the Projekt website (www.projekt.com) every so often, they have a little list of new releases in the genre.

If you ever run into Amythe on the MF, ask him as well. He's very well versed.

I'd also suggest looking around myspace. Check any given artist's page and you'll probably run into links for at least a few other like-minded artists.

Some that I listen to:

Humanwine
Reverend Glasseye and His Wooden Legs
Beat Circus
Alec K. Redfearn and the Eyesores
Brian Carpenter's Ghost Train Orchestra
Dresden Dolls
Katzenjammer Kabaret
Revue Noir
Nervous Cabaret
Jill Tracy

There are also a lot of artists that dabble in the genre, but don't solidly dive into it. Kaizer's Orchestra, for example, have the "Harlem Hot-House" slinkyness in many of their songs.

Lately, I've been obsessed with (songs)-

"The World is Not My Home Sir" ~ Reverend Glasseye
"Choreboy and the Blowtorch" ~ Alec K. Redfearn
"Rivolta Silenziosa!" ~ Humanwine  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:36 pm
Trip-hop.
(Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Thievery Corperation (?))

...And I swear I had a whole bunch of ideas of what to say, I just forgot them as soon as I began to type.
._____.;;;

(Also, I'd go for some Leftover Crack)  

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:07 pm
IY_and_MCR
Trip-hop.

+

Sunshine Blind  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:12 am
GilAskan
IY_and_MCR
Trip-hop.

+

Sunshine Blind

*Squeaks*
Yess

One way to find out about new music is internet radio.
I used to use Last.fm (Music similar to Nine Inch Nails, Music Similar to Rasputina)
And now I use Pandora.com a lot now.
If you go to pandora and ask for Soho Radio, you might find something  

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash