Don't know, don't care
View Results

Justastaringproblem

3,950 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:09 pm
Some people say No Doubt isn't ska, and i want to know why! Maybe not their last two albums, but No Doubt, The Beacon Street Collection and Tragic kingdom seem to fit the ska description. Plus they came from Socal where a lot of third wave ska came from and Rock Steady is heavily steeped in Jamaican influences with well known dancehall rastas appearing in songs. So someone explain to me why ND is not ska cause I'm willing to argue my point.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:10 pm
I don't see why they can't be. I seem to recall possible skanking in the video for Oi to The World.  

NoDoubtfan

Frankenska

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:15 pm
Old stuff ,Im pretty sure, was ska.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:18 pm
pre Retrun of Saturn= ska

post Re. S = NOT ska.... hope that clears it up for every one  

Slag10

FenderSkaface

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:58 am
Ahh I really love No Doubt.
I just hope that new album they're coming out with is at least a tad bit ska...but I doubt it. Gwen fails as a singer now X[[  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:06 am
Old No Doubt was just typical 3rd wave ska, just tad more pop-like.

3nodding  

King Of The Ska
Captain

The Leninator!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:24 pm
As the above poster said, their old stuff was third wave pop-ska, and their new stuff is "pop-punk with horns" MTV ska. They don't really have the ska style or attitude either, they aren't really rude now, and if you listen to Gwin Stephani's solo stuff she sounds like your typical MTV diva.

If you don't get what I'm talking about listen to The Skatalites, The Specials, The Selector, The Aquabats, etc. and then listen to No Doubt and you'll understand.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:00 pm
or listen to thier first album, and then their latest album...XD  

Slag10

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:32 pm
I wouldn't ever of really called them ska, I mean sure they mighta played some ska. but they're more of just sellouts. playing whatever makes em money pretty much. just so happened to include ska during the 90's. thats just how it goes sometimes.

Dance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:44 pm
i dont think that's fair. consider their beginnings playing with other up and coming cali. acts. they were recording and playing with sublime before either band rose to national success, they got lucky, just like rhe bosstones and less than jake... it just so happens that ND lost thier direction much faster than the others razz  

Slag10

MCS4evr0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:32 pm
The Leninator!
As the above poster said, their old stuff was third wave pop-ska, and their new stuff is "pop-punk with horns" MTV ska. They don't really have the ska style or attitude either, they aren't really rude now, and if you listen to Gwin Stephani's solo stuff she sounds like your typical MTV diva.

If you don't get what I'm talking about listen to The Skatalites, The Specials, The Selector, The Aquabats, etc. and then listen to No Doubt and you'll understand.

So true, and why do yal keep forgetting about the Toasters. And their name is meaningful too, because Toasting is a very common practice in early ska like the "Pickitup Pickitup" stuff, thats Toasting.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:44 pm
MCS4evr0
The Leninator!

So true, and why do yal keep forgetting about the Toasters. And their name is meaningful too, because Toasting is a very common practice in early ska like the "Pickitup Pickitup" stuff, thats Toasting.

If you wanted him to name every 2Tone and 2.5 Wave band that you could think of, you should have said so. The "etc." kinda makes up for it, and it's not like The Toasters invented toasting.  

Zom B McFlesheater

doodyl9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:10 pm
IMO, No Doubt was ok, even with their most recent pop hits. But ska? I think that they are kind of like Sublime. They tried ska, but that's not what they really aimed for. Oi to the World is my favorite cover by them. Sunday Morning is ok too.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:11 pm
I guess their early stuff was ska. I mean i heard a trumpet and a trombone in one song rofl  

Lethal_Injektion

Slag10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:48 am
fact- First two albums (S/T and Beacon Street) are ska punk

opinion- tragic kingdom was pretty close to ska punk

fact- they haven't been ska since their 4th album

opinion- their las album sucked hard  
Rude Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers