+1
View Results

Justastaringproblem

3,950 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:15 pm
i'm not new to ska, I've been listening since i was seven, but at the time I had ne idea what it really was other than good music. I want nw ska bands to listen to so people will stop telling me I know nothing about ska. I have another account that used to be just_another_ska_girl and some one went on my profile and slandered my liking of ska. Since that i changed my name to nodoubtfan. I like No Doubt a lot. I also like Save Ferris, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sublime and Reel Big Fish. I just recently got into Mustard Plug and Catch 22. Does anyone have any more bands that you think I'll like?
Also what makes someone a rudie?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:58 am
The Skatalites
The Specials
Reel Big Fish
Streetlight Manifesto
Mustard Plug
Buck O Nine
Madness
Catch 22
The Aquabats
Big D and the Kid's Table
The Toasters
Blue Meanies
Bad Manners
Skankin' Pickle
Hepcat
Leftover Crack
Desmond Dekker
The Slackers heart
The Planet Smashers
The English Beat
Operation Ivy
Skavoovie and the Epitones

there's tons more, but those are some good bands.

Frankenska

Slag10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:18 pm
one of the damned
i'm not new to ska, I've been listening since i was seven, but at the time I had ne idea what it really was other than good music. I want nw ska bands to listen to so people will stop telling me I know nothing about ska. I have another account that used to be just_another_ska_girl and some one went on my profile and slandered my liking of ska. Since that i changed my name to nodoubtfan. I like No Doubt a lot. I also like Save Ferris, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sublime and Reel Big Fish. I just recently got into Mustard Plug and Catch 22. Does anyone have any more bands that you think I'll like?
Also what makes someone a rudie?
YAY! untainted mind!
start by reading HERE thats a pretty comprehensive history of the first wave(60's ska) and has some sound bites for you to check out.

As for second wave stuff- know it was a british movement and is also known as "Ska Revival" or the 2 Tone era. Check out - The Specials, Madness, Bad Manners and the English Beat... those are who i would rate as the best of the second wave. also all the checkerboard stuff came from this time period

Almost all US ska is the Third Wave. You can Argue the the Toasters are a late second wave band, but might as well be third wave. also the toasters are the oldest US Ska band still active. there are some styles to keep in mind with second wave-

Traditional(often short ened to "Trad.") is music that draws from the orriginal jamaican sounds and also the 2tone era as well. good bands to check are- Slackers, Westbound Train, Allstonians, Hepcat, NNew York Ska Jazz Ensemble, Eastern Standard time, King Django

Post 2 Tone- Kind of abstract idea thats not used much its a bit of a cross over between traditional and non trad ska. PieTasters, Planet Smashers, Skoidats, Mephiskapheles, Toasters Hub City Stompers are all good examples... generally alot of these bands just get tossed in with either trad or what ever other kind of ska they lean to.

Ska-Punk... Punk Riffs and Ska rythems togeather. Pretty common, and often generic or just bad- Op-Ivy, Suicide Machines, Less Than Jake, Sublime

Ska Core- hardcore riffs and ska- Bosstones are the best example, along with Voodoo Glow Skulls...does cross over with ska punk sometimes(e.g. The Impossibles)

then theres third wave that doesnt always fit in with anything... i tend to hate this stuff oddly ._.

i personaly think the best way to a rudie is to be a jamaican gangster in the 60's put thats kinda hard. generaly getting involved in your local Ska Scene or the scene at large and always looking for more knowledge and seeking new bands. to me a rudie is someone who tries to give back to the scene. it has nothing to do with the way you dress or what style of ska you like most. its not something you name your self, its kind of a state of mind i guess ._.

hope that helped

some record lable to check-
Trojan
Moon
Asianman
Stomp
Hell Cat
Jump Up
Megalith(you might recognise alot of bands from Moon)
Special Potato
Grover
Cornerstone R.A.S.
Burning Heart(a few really good ska bands and alot of punk)
stubborn records  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:23 pm
Cool this page can help all newbies to ska  

NoDoubtfan

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:45 pm
to add to whats been named:

Frank and His Skunk Allstars
Prince Buster
The Ethiopians
Too Short Notice
The Fabulous Rudie
Chase Long Beach
Selecter

Dance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:51 pm
Guns of Navarone

Prince Buster
The Ethiopians
Too Short Notice
The Fabulous Rudie
Chase Long Beach
Selecter

Dance

just outta curiosity, how do you know about The Fabulous Rudies, and Chase Longbeach?  

oityku

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:52 pm
onthecamelsback
Guns of Navarone

Prince Buster
The Ethiopians
Too Short Notice
The Fabulous Rudie
Chase Long Beach
Selecter

Dance

just outta curiosity, how do you know about The Fabulous Rudies, and Chase Longbeach?

Uhm, cuz I do? lol idk. a friend told me about the fabulous rudies, and they went on warped tour and were great there. and CLB, idk, I forget. but their damn good, thats all thats important. Wish they'd come to FL but they seem to be playin a buncha big shows in Cali soon.

Dance

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:30 am
Guns of Navarone
onthecamelsback
Guns of Navarone

Prince Buster
The Ethiopians
Too Short Notice
The Fabulous Rudie
Chase Long Beach
Selecter

Dance

Uhm, cuz I do? lol idk. a friend told me about the fabulous rudies, and they went on warped tour and were great there. and CLB, idk, I forget. but their damn good, thats all thats important. Wish they'd come to FL but they seem to be playin a buncha big shows in Cali soon.

Dance

Cool, they are still kinda small-name bands and im kinda surprised anyone outside of California know about them.
i heard the Rudies were playing Warped.
ive seen CLB a few times in San Diego, they played a few shows with the Rudies
both or them are kinda hometown heroes down here in San Diego.

nice to know that they are getting some national exposure  

oityku

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:40 pm
onthecamelsback
Guns of Navarone
onthecamelsback
Guns of Navarone

Prince Buster
The Ethiopians
Too Short Notice
The Fabulous Rudie
Chase Long Beach
Selecter

Dance

Dance

Cool, they are still kinda small-name bands and im kinda surprised anyone outside of California know about them.
i heard the Rudies were playing Warped.
ive seen CLB a few times in San Diego, they played a few shows with the Rudies
both or them are kinda hometown heroes down here in San Diego.

nice to know that they are getting some national exposure

Yeah CLB is getting pretty big lately, Fabulous rudies not so much, but I hope warped tour helped.

Dance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:36 pm
I believe what makes you a Rude Boy or Rude Girl is respect and understanding of your peers, not getting rough but if need be throw down, and a general liking of ska, reggae, and any other genre that fits in between those two. You don't need to know every ska band in the world or dress in rudie attire to be a rudie. Just be yourself and people will love you for it.  

Jcake

Rude Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff