Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
So Whats on your altar? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:46 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
*is now ded of giggle*
~splashes your face with a bit of mead- because it is likely to work better than smelling salts~

*licks lips*

*feigns unconsciousness, hoping for more mead*
Would have worked better if you hadn't licked your lips  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:18 pm
*creaks open eyelid* I'm still mostly dead. Needs moar mead!  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:56 pm
Deoridhe
Out of mead. All I have left are tickles. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:44 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
*brings more mead*
Would you like the citrus clove mead, or the vanilla mead?  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:58 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
*brings more mead*
Would you like the citrus clove mead, or the vanilla mead?
Neither of which are mead.

Sporks to the person who provides the correct name for the above mentioned drinks.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:57 pm
TeaDidikai
Uh...Metheglin, Melomel, even Braggot (which I may be working on next) are still types of mead, Tea.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:58 am
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai
Uh...Metheglin, Melomel, even Braggot (which I may be working on next) are still types of mead, Tea.
No more than a mint infusion is a type of tea. confused  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:01 am
TeaDidikai
Henry Dorsett Case
I'm really going to have to question your authority on this one. Can you give me a source that shows that none of the three internationally recognized mead varieties I've mentioned are actually mead?

On my side I have sources spanning back at least to the middle 17th century that recognize drinks that are "mead plus something" as mead. In addition to the word of literally thousands of international mazers and the mead industry.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:20 am
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai
Henry Dorsett Case
I'm really going to have to question your authority on this one. Can you give me a source that shows that none of the three internationally recognized mead varieties I've mentioned are actually mead?

On my side I have sources spanning back at least to the middle 17th century that recognize drinks that are "mead plus something" as mead. In addition to the word of literally thousands of international mazers and the mead industry.
Which sources?

Granted, my primary experience has been directly with brewers and local brewing supply shops, however, we must also take into account that during late season rains additional sugars including honey were added to many fermented drinks to save the harvests. (World History 102- SPSCC, Winter 2001).

Further- are we to assume that if one adds honey to a beer at first rack that it is suddenly a mead and not an beer? wink

Edit: Sure this isn't a marketing ploy on the part of your "thousands of international mazers"?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:32 pm
TeaDidikai
Which sources?
Well, we have The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelme Digbie Kt Opened[...], which is the source that goes back to 1669. GotMead.com is another treasure trove of recipes, explanations, and history of mead. I've others if I must start listing off my sources.

Quote:
Granted, my primary experience has been directly with brewers and local brewing supply shops
I am a mazer. As is my friend Joral. As is, occasionally, the Old Goat from whom we buy our carboys.

Quote:
however, we must also take into account that during late season rains additional sugars including honey were added to many fermented drinks to save the harvests.
This, and your quip about beer, would be fine references if not for the fact that none of the varieties of mead I have mentioned so far, and in fact none of the varieties of mead that I would call varieties of mead are made in this manner. All start from the same basic formula (honey, water, yeast), and are added to from that starting point. It's not "something with honey dumped in it", it's "mead with something added".

On the same note as your claim - if I have slices of blood orange and ground clove in my first carboy during primary fermentation, which are not carried over to the next carboy after first rack, at what point did my process magically become "not mead"?

Quote:
Edit: Sure this isn't a marketing ploy on the part of your "thousands of international mazers"?
I'm not even sure how to construe this comment. I suppose the International Mead Association and the Beer Judge Certification Program could be retroactively tinkering with the definition of mead so much as to forge a document purporting to be from the 17th century in which drinks that are brewed as mead with additives are incorrectly labeled as mead, but somehow I'm highly in doubt of this fact. I also don't appreciate the quotes around the reference to mazers.  

Henry Dorsett Case

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:55 pm
I just recently got my altar space back. Now I must figure out what to do with it. :/  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:00 am
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai
Which sources?
Well, we have The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelme Digbie Kt Opened[...], which is the source that goes back to 1669. GotMead.com is another treasure trove of recipes, explanations, and history of mead. I've others if I must start listing off my sources.
For curiosity if nothing else.

Quote:
I am a mazer. As is my friend Joral. As is, occasionally, the Old Goat from whom we buy our carboys.
As am I.

Oh! Is this going to be about who's brewing p***s is bigger now?

Quote:
This, and your quip about beer, would be fine references if not for the fact that none of the varieties of mead I have mentioned so far, and in fact none of the varieties of mead that I would call varieties of mead are made in this manner. All start from the same basic formula (honey, water, yeast), and are added to from that starting point. It's not "something with honey dumped in it", it's "mead with something added".

On the same note as your claim - if I have slices of blood orange and ground clove in my first carboy during primary fermentation, which are not carried over to the next carboy after first rack, at what point did my process magically become "not mead"?
My understanding would be "from the time you put the mixture in your first carboy".

What are you using to hold your primary fermentation?

Quote:
I'm not even sure how to construe this comment. I suppose the International Mead Association and the Beer Judge Certification Program could be retroactively tinkering with the definition of mead so much as to forge a document purporting to be from the 17th century in which drinks that are brewed as mead with additives are incorrectly labeled as mead, but somehow I'm highly in doubt of this fact.
Considering how many times I see folks label mead as "honey wine", it wouldn't shock me.

Especially since the tradition of making mead is older than the dates mentioned.

I keep thinking back on the Reinheitsgebot. If I recall correctly, there is something akin to it for mead.

Quote:
I also don't appreciate the quotes around the reference to mazers.
Good thing your appreciation is not needed eh?  

TeaDidikai

Specter Love

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:42 am
Henry Dorsett Case
godhi
Why do I have this mental image of a group of Viking berserkers from a certain credit card commercial menacing us with swords and axes, asking:
"What's on your altar?"
pirate
gonk = Supplicant
talk2hand = Deity

gonk : The ability to lift five more pounds? But I asked for the strength to smite my foes!

talk2hand : Increased strength prayers have a progressive fulfillment policy starting with the first qualifying sacrifice. Deity reserves the right to choose which foes Supplicant will be able to smite; foe blackouts may apply at Deity's sole discretion. Deity is indemnified of all damages arising from Supplicant's misuse of smiting prowess. Non-qualifying sacrifices may interrupt or reset the fulfillment scale, even if not offered with a prayer for increased strength. Additional terms and restrictions may apply; refer to your holy texts for more info.

gonk : I'm confused.

talk2hand : All shall be confused that follow me.

Vikings (in chorus) : What's on YOUR altar?

Heathen One

Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwow. You win, friend. I lol'd. Hard.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:15 pm
I put up a new shrine to Hera today. I decided on pictures of beautiful, historical women (In gorgeous frames), and a fan that my friend bought me when she went to Spain.

It's placed in my living room, in an inset corner, which our couch is set into.

User Image  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:19 pm
Very pretty Nuri.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers