Reply Music - Related Topics
the White stripes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Demos_the_Demigod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:01 pm
any one here a fan of the white stripes?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:12 pm
Walking With a Ghost was okay. If even that. Everything else, in my opinion, sucks.

And there's a music section, by the way.  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:46 pm
To be a d**k and quote myself-

"The White Stripes release great singles. In fact, if they released nothing but singles, they'd be one of the best rock bands of the last 25 years. However, Jack keeps making the same mistake--

Albums."

~Myself, 2006  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:53 pm
I have always enjoyed The White Stripes albums, which seems to make me an oddity. GilAskan stated the opinion i hear the most, one which always bothered me.

It seems i always hear this when a band tries not to have a single sound. Experimentation seems to make people mad, as they buy the album expecting everything to be whichever single they heard on the radio. Music which differs from some cliché sound is met with protests, despite it often being the integral part of a band. If Jack did what most people seem to want him to do, his music would die as quickly as any other pop-indie group with one good set.

*shrugs*

Of course, there are some problems, as with any other band. Lately the one that bothers me the most is that it seems the songs in the albums do not segway into each other. One just stops, then the other starts.

P.S. Though Jack proves my statement, "Bass players are overrated."  

zz1000zz
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:08 am
zz1000zz
I have always enjoyed The White Stripes albums, which seems to make me an oddity. GilAskan stated the opinion i hear the most, one which always bothered me.

It seems i always hear this when a band tries not to have a single sound. Experimentation seems to make people mad, as they buy the album expecting everything to be whichever single they heard on the radio. Music which differs from some cliché sound is met with protests, despite it often being the integral part of a band. If Jack did what most people seem to want him to do, his music would die as quickly as any other pop-indie group with one good set.

*shrugs*

Of course, there are some problems, as with any other band. Lately the one that bothers me the most is that it seems the songs in the albums do not segway into each other. One just stops, then the other starts.

P.S. Though Jack proves my statement, "Bass players are overrated."

I love their experimentation, just not the format of the albums. I've always considered White Stripes to be a very minimalist group. Their simple, down-to-Earth rock sound has always been intriguing, and I've always thought that full-length albums have defied that minimalist nature.

I loved the blues, jazz, and ragtime departures on "Get Behind Me Satan", for example, but would have far prefered that they just released either 3-5 singles or an EP rather than a 10 or 12 track album.

As for the transistions- I think it largely comes from their live style. Many bands depend on the flow of songs to coordinate a good concert. But the duo of the White Stripes really only have to organize themselves. In their live concerts, they're known to randomly switch songs with no warning (sometimes even mid-song); with only two members, one makes the change, then the other adjusts. Because of this eplay style, I suspect they've stopped caring about album flow and worked harder on making strong independent songs.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:20 pm
I find such a limited number of songs too often stymies creativity, though full length albums clearly are not their style.

And i have been fortunate enough to see them perform in small venues a number of times. Always a blast.  

zz1000zz
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:08 pm
zz1000zz
I find such a limited number of songs too often stymies creativity, though full length albums clearly are not their style.

And i have been fortunate enough to see them perform in small venues a number of times. Always a blast.

I saw them live with fewer than 50 people myself. It was, as you said, a blast.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:04 pm
My brother (a year my junior) has all of their studio albums and he worships Jack White. Their style has evolved so much from the self titled one right up until icky thump. ♪♪Rag and Bone♪♪ Haha

I always hate it when people automatically say “meg is such a bad drummer” as soon as the WS are mentioned. To be perfectly honest a drummer can only do so much with four pieces of drum gear right? I love her vocals though. “A Cold, cold night” was lovely I thought.

And what a unique guitar! It's some sixties style if I remember right. And he is also in the top twenty best guitarists in Rolling Stone magazine. I love the whole 3 philosophy thing too. Very very unique but so intriguing as is the fact that every existing WS has one song with the word 'Little' in the title  

Nockz the Dark Cellist

Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff