Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
The Black Library Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:23 am
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Have you had the opportunity to send such a writing sample in the past? I've always had an interest in writing in the 40k universe, but I've never seriously pursued anything with Black Library.
I've put in a few stories to Black Library in the past, but never got anywhere from it which is a shame. I might give it another go in the new year.
How was your experience with their staff? Did they get back to you at all, give you any pointers, or just more of a "we regret to inform you" deal?
I never really talked to their staff which was a shame. It was all done through emails, and I never got a response which did suck a bit, but it was to be expected seeing as they said on the website that they didn't give feedback to individual stories that didn't make the cut.
That seems rather cold, but I suppose it makes sense, with the volume of hopeful applicants they probably have sending them hare-brained schemes! I know our fiction subforum is in dire needs of attention, you should consider posting some writing there, as practice if nothing else.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:29 am
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Have you had the opportunity to send such a writing sample in the past? I've always had an interest in writing in the 40k universe, but I've never seriously pursued anything with Black Library.
I've put in a few stories to Black Library in the past, but never got anywhere from it which is a shame. I might give it another go in the new year.
How was your experience with their staff? Did they get back to you at all, give you any pointers, or just more of a "we regret to inform you" deal?
I never really talked to their staff which was a shame. It was all done through emails, and I never got a response which did suck a bit, but it was to be expected seeing as they said on the website that they didn't give feedback to individual stories that didn't make the cut.
That seems rather cold, but I suppose it makes sense, with the volume of hopeful applicants they probably have sending them hare-brained schemes! I know our fiction subforum is in dire needs of attention, you should consider posting some writing there, as practice if nothing else.
I guess I could post some things, though I'd have to edit them to not violate the ToS.  

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:33 am
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
I guess I could post some things, though I'd have to edit them to not violate the ToS.
Ahh, got some fairly graphic content, aye?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:40 am
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Very graphic. Blood, gore, swearing and a number of questionable moments that have made people ask "what the ********?"  

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:46 am
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Very graphic. Blood, gore, swearing and a number of questionable moments that have made people ask "what the ******** class="clear">
I don't think gore and profanity are going to cause any issues (especially considering the audience!) as long as some sort of disclaimer is posted at the top. The only thing Gaia's really worried about is sexually explicit content.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:56 am
If you can't post it here, you can't write it in a BL novel, simple as that. Though the novels are getting away with more and more these days. Usage of the word "s**t" is now quite common and they manage to sneak in a few cut-off "********" every now and then. Quite a refreshing change from all the made up swears really.

Now if only they'd be more accepting about the sexuality of characters as they were in the old stable of novels, that would be something.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:07 am
Oh well if your all right with blood and gore then I might be able to get away with some of the stuff, though some people might not like the idea of the intestines snaking out of the guardsman body after being driven through with a power lance, I'll go through with what I have on my laptop. Most of my original work is on my old computer, but that's a pile of junk at the moment that I'm trying to fix. I'm just waiting on pay-day and the parts needed.

I must admit, with some of the themes in the Warhammer and 40K universe, especially with Slaanesh.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:11 am
Angels Sonata
Oh well if your all right with blood and gore then I might be able to get away with some of the stuff, though some people might not like the idea of the intestines snaking out of the guardsman body after being driven through with a power lance,
That's quite mild when you read some of the novels BL put out there.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:20 am
Lt. Brookman
Angels Sonata
Oh well if your all right with blood and gore then I might be able to get away with some of the stuff, though some people might not like the idea of the intestines snaking out of the guardsman body after being driven through with a power lance,
Hmm fair point, I guess it all comes down to perception.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:30 am
Angels Sonata
Lt. Brookman
Angels Sonata
Well mine is pretty open-minded, I say bring it on! 3nodding  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:33 am
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
Lt. Brookman
Angels Sonata
Well, I'll see what I can find. If not, I can always start something new. I'm working on a Night Lords warband for December with Operation Protinus at Warhammer world. I already have a reason why they are doing what they're doing.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:40 am
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
Well, I'll see what I can find. If not, I can always start something new. I'm working on a Night Lords warband for December with Operation Protinus at Warhammer world. I already have a reason why they are doing what they're doing.
Operation Protinus? Some sort of writing competition?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:45 am
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
Kill Team tournament. 200 points, 8 games on 1 day.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:51 am
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
Ooo, sounds like a blast. I'm going to be moving across the pond to that general part of the UK here in a couple months, hopefully I'll be able to get involved with such things. That's a whole other topic, though. Perhaps you'd be inclined to post some details in a new thread in the 40k subforums?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:56 am
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
Ooo, sounds like a blast. I'm going to be moving across the pond to that general part of the UK here in a couple months, hopefully I'll be able to get involved with such things. That's a whole other topic, though. Perhaps you'd be inclined to post some details in a new thread in the 40k subforums?
It's going to be my first event other than Games Day and Black Library live so it should be worth it, though I still need to get everything built up and painted. I think I can do that, I might write a blog about the build up to the event and see what comes from it. If you want more details, let me know and I'll have them written down for you.  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games