Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:50 pm
... i have made a grave error. i have thoroughly confused abolitionist animal rights with veganism, and have been confusing the two concepts. not to mention arguing out of my butt defending "abolitionist veganism," which in retrospect doesn't make a whole lot of sense denotation-wise. veganism is a part of AR, but i was wrongfully attributing arguments of AR to veganism.

concessions:
merriam-webster and Tea are right on that definition.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:51 pm
I still don't really feels like that answers my question though neutral

Really, if it weren't for my dog I'd probably be dead. He's like my kid. He keeps me sane. He keeps me in line.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
I still don't really feels like that answers my question though neutral

Really, if it weren't for my dog I'd probably be dead. He's like my kid. He keeps me sane. He keeps me in line.

right.
the exploitation is in the intention of owning an animal for the wrong reasons. Francione [guy on the interview] argues that if you're getting a dog simply because you're lonely and want companionship, that's exploitation. it means that you think the objective value of the dog's life is about whether or not it satisfies your desires.

if you're getting a dog because you can offer him/her a good home because shelters suck and he/she deserves better, that's okay. i personally would say that a combination of both isn't a bad thing. if you can offer a great home to a pet in need, which simultaneously fulfills the lonliness you experience, cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:13 pm
Collowrath
No honey on the porridge? sad That would make me a sad boy if I had to have my porridge with no honey.
Not if you're vegan. wink

Concessions accepted.

Just as a point of reference, I went through a period when I was vegetarian because the feeling of flesh between my teeth was like nails on a chalk board. I grew out of it, but during my time as a vegetarian I devoted a fair amount of study as to why idiots kept calling me a hypocrite for being vegetarian while still coveting my precious leather sandals.

Pasco/Avo/Lacto/Vegan etc, and the politics that get lumped in with them tend to be a hot button, especially when it gets preachy and people make assumptions.  

TeaDidikai

Chaos Blue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:39 pm
So it's finally become increasingly apparent to me how terrible the state of the nation is in.
Doesn't really hit you til it hits you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:50 pm
I hate shopping, I really do.
Things like this always freaking happens. Fits fine at the store, get home and suddenly it's way too small or way too big and it's just a freaking waste of time. And the stuff you can't even exchange, like bras and panties! The frustration...  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Calixti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:14 am
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
No honey on the porridge? sad That would make me a sad boy if I had to have my porridge with no honey.
Not if you're vegan. wink

Concessions accepted.

Just as a point of reference, I went through a period when I was vegetarian because the feeling of flesh between my teeth was like nails on a chalk board. I grew out of it, but during my time as a vegetarian I devoted a fair amount of study as to why idiots kept calling me a hypocrite for being vegetarian while still coveting my precious leather sandals.

Pasco/Avo/Lacto/Vegan etc, and the politics that get lumped in with them tend to be a hot button, especially when it gets preachy and people make assumptions.
I often get accused of not being a "real" vegetarian because I'd rather see the meat and dairy industries reformed instead of doing away with them. Or because I'm not a vegetarian for health or animal rights reasons. Or because I've been known to cook meat for my family. Or because blah blah blah. Sigh.

ETA: Okay, the no health reasons is a lie. Meat and meat byproducts do make me pretty ill; depending on how much I've ingested, I get what looks pretty similar to an allergic reaction. But if I cared to and reintroduced it slowly, I could probably add fish and poultry to my diet without a problem.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:20 am
Calixti
I often get accused of not being a "real" vegetarian because I'd rather see the meat and dairy industries reformed instead of doing away with them. Or because I'm not a vegetarian for health or animal rights reasons. Or because I've been known to cook meat for my family. Or because blah blah blah. Sigh.
No True Scotsman Fallacies for the win.  

TeaDidikai

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:33 am
TeaDidikai
Calixti
No True Scotsman Fallacies for the win.
My best friend got it all the time. She's just started reintroducing meat after her second attempt at vegetarianism. However she was kind of a lacto/ovo-pescatarian to begin with.

Basically, her main problem with meat was how the meat industry was handled. She never intended to stay vegetarian in the first place, she just wanted to find a provider of ethical meat, and she'd also eat animals that were farmed/slaughtered in an ethical way throughout being a 'vegetarian'. She sees nothing wrong with eating meat or using animal products, she just doesn't agree with the treatment of animals by most of the meat industry. In the end she stopped being vegetarian again because there was so much she wanted to cook that you can't substitute tofu for (like, you can't make braised quailfu. You just can't) and she didn't want to destroy her enzymes.

I'm pretty sure this started with that awesome recipe for beef cheek ravioli we found.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:34 am
I should really stop pressing the quote button when I mean the edit button. sweatdrop  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:00 pm
I got confused at university at the definition of vegetarian. Mostly because Indian people count not eating eggs as vegetarian, so when my vege-room mate was eating eggs the morning after, I was thoroughly confused until someone explain it to me. xD  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:44 pm
Illiezeulette
Recursive Paradox
Violet Song jat Shariff
So....can you (or anyone) explain to me how having my Toby-dog is exploiting or otherwise harming him?

Seems like a load of bullshit to me. So I guess I'd like an explanation too.

this is the abolitionist stance on pets/animal companions.
Sixth one down from the top.

His comparisons to the slaves in the 1840's is a false analogy. He needs to establish that common pet animals have the same level of sentience and self determination as human beings before he can compare pets to human slaves.

He's also citing neuroses in pets that are purely anecdotal as a reason for claiming that they are in a bad situation in domestication.

So basically, it's a bunch of fallacious garbage.  

Recursive Paradox

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:06 pm
Recursive Paradox
Illiezeulette
Recursive Paradox
Violet Song jat Shariff
So....can you (or anyone) explain to me how having my Toby-dog is exploiting or otherwise harming him?

Seems like a load of bullshit to me. So I guess I'd like an explanation too.

this is the abolitionist stance on pets/animal companions.
Sixth one down from the top.

His comparisons to the slaves in the 1840's is a false analogy. He needs to establish that common pet animals have the same level of sentience and self determination as human beings before he can compare pets to human slaves.

He's also citing neuroses in pets that are purely anecdotal as a reason for claiming that they are in a bad situation in domestication.

So basically, it's a bunch of fallacious garbage.
Indeed. I mean, I can justify domestication pretty easily: We're smarter than they are and we taught them to do s**t that is beneficial to us. They were there. We needed s**t done. It was a matter of practicality.

And this our world/animal world bullshit is just asinine. We are part of the animal world. We always have been. There is no seperation.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:53 pm
So.

I think one of my friends from uni read a ranting blog post of mine, became offended, and is now not speaking to me. I mean, she has every right to be offended; that I don't contest. I just wish she'd, you know, say something to me about it.

Part of me wants to care that she might have read it and might be upset, but the other part of me just...wants her gone. We had a good run, but sometimes I feel like the friendship is NOT mutually beneficial.

I'm sort of unsure as to what to do now. I care, but I sort of don't care enough to ask her if she's alright.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:25 pm
So, my Nana's health has taken a slight turn for the worse. Physically she's doing better, but mentally, she's slipping further away. cry  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games