Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
British Gaians... show your faces! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 137 138 139 140 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Lord Harbourer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:54 pm
Certainly. Giggle...

Click here. Hahahaha....

Haha!

I couldn't resist. xD  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:45 am
Invictus_88
Saying all Western programming is without merit is like saying all Eastern programming is without merit.

Saying anime appears to be without merit is more like saying soap opera seems without merit. Or that documentaries seem without merit.

My point still stands that anime is too diverse for the statement that it has no merit to stand up to scrutiny.  

Smigg-the-Miserable

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:30 am
Foetus In Fetu
Lady of Spain
Note to self: Do not engage in battles of wits with Ms. Fetu after imbibing quantities of wine.

Why don't you just not engage in battles of wits with me full stop? I'm sick and I still kicked your a**.

Y iz bein sik NE mpdmnt 3 clarittee uv 4t? Ay thind yt off10 improofs yt.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:41 am
I find having the pseudo-flu an impediment to pretty much everything. neutral

I think I've slept like 80% of the past three days.

Getting better now, though; thanks for asking.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:50 pm
I've had the same actually :/Spent two days in bed panicking about all the work I was getting behind with, and the cello practice I wasn't doing for a competition.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:35 pm
Way to misquote me, by the way.

Not appreciated.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:19 pm
Think of it as a nudge in the right direction.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:49 pm
Lady of Spain
Think of it as a nudge in the wrong direction.

Like I'm gonna stand for being "nudged" by a hypercorrector.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:57 pm
Okay, here's a different line. I need to align your post with my world view in order to empathise with, understand and eventually deconstruct it.

No, that wasn't quite right.

Work with me here. This would be a good argument if were articulate enough to find the right way to communicate it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:11 pm
You need to align my post with your world-view because you can't handle anything that falls outside of that narrow, narrow scope.

Got it.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:27 pm
Smigg-the-Miserable
Invictus_88
Saying all Western programming is without merit is like saying all Eastern programming is without merit.

Saying anime appears to be without merit is more like saying soap opera seems without merit. Or that documentaries seem without merit.

My point still stands that anime is too diverse for the statement that it has no merit to stand up to scrutiny.

It's diverse; but so is slavery, daytime television, soap opera and war.

Find me merit, if you want to disprove me, not diversity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:37 am
Foetus In Fetu
You need to align my post with your world-view because you can't handle anything that falls outside of that narrow, narrow scope.

Got it.

Okay, fine, it was a bad argument.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Smigg-the-Miserable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:23 am
Invictus_88
Smigg-the-Miserable
Invictus_88

It's diverse; but so is slavery, daytime television, soap opera and war.

Find me merit, if you want to disprove me, not diversity.

The merit is in the shows, not the medium. You cannot say as a broad term 'anime has/hasn't got merit' because neither statement holds true for all anime series or films.

I have already given you the examples of FLCL and Ghost in the Shell, two animes (a series and a film respectively) which I believe have a good deal of merit, for reasons including - but not limited to - those outlined in my earlier post.

If you really must have some kind of broad merit for the medium of anime in general, then I suppose one of the formost would be that, as a medium of entertainment, a great many anime shows do ineed provide that entertainment. That said, for every The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or Kanon (two rather excellent shows by the Kyoto Animation studio) you have something like Pokemon or Demonbane, but this is true of any broadcast or entertainment medium.

Also, as you yourself have admitted, your experience of anime is quite limited. In the interest of a more productive debate I would strongly recommend that you watch a broader and more diverse selection of shows and try to understand more about the medium and the culture around it before you further suggest that the entire medium is totally lacking in any form of merit.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:13 am
Smigg-the-Miserable

Also, as you yourself have admitted, your experience of anime is quite limited. In the interest of a more productive debate I would strongly recommend that you watch a broader and more diverse selection of shows and try to understand more about the medium and the culture around it before you further suggest that the entire medium is totally lacking in any form of merit.

That's a fair enough request. I shall try to find time to.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Smigg-the-Miserable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:42 am
Fansubs downloaded via bit-torrent are your best bet. If you do manage to find time then I recommend watching the new version of Kanon, and also The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (though I think this may have been taken off most of the sites after it was licensed for North American distribution). There are a number of other very good shows I could recomend, though I can't think of them off of the top of my head right now.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 137 138 139 140 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games