Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
The Black Library Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:06 am
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Themed annual contests, you say? That sounds relatively promising, any further information on that, or a place I could find such?
I think they already had one this year, or the last, themed around Chaos Space Marines IIRC.
I'm not surprised, considering their new line of Chaos models and codices running parallel... Any idea of the level of participation? Are they looking for short stories, or full transcripts?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:11 am
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Themed annual contests, you say? That sounds relatively promising, any further information on that, or a place I could find such?
I think they already had one this year, or the last, themed around Chaos Space Marines IIRC.
I'm not surprised, considering their new line of Chaos models and codices running parallel... Any idea of the level of participation? Are they looking for short stories, or full transcripts?
Competition is high, though in the end only two were picked, as the rest of the book is filled with stories from regular writers.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:18 am
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Competition is high, though in the end only two were picked, as the rest of the book is filled with stories from regular writers.
Interesting. So they're looking more for short stories for anthologies than anything else?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:21 am
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Interesting. So they're looking more for short stories for anthologies than anything else?
Well, you don't want to put out the order for full novels and rely on nobodies for that now will you? To give you an example, Sarah Cawkwell started out by writing a few short stories for BL before she got permission to write full-on novels.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:27 am
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Well, you don't want to put out the order for full novels and rely on nobodies for that now will you? To give you an example, Sarah Cawkwell started out by writing a few short stories for BL before she got permission to write full-on novels.
That makes a good deal of sense, and is honestly probably the easier way to go about it anyway.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:29 am
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
That makes a good deal of sense, and is honestly probably the easier way to go about it anyway.
Yeah, BL wouldn't just let anyone write full on novels, those are big investments.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:34 am
Someone mentioned writing for Black Library?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:58 am
Angels Sonata
Indeed, it seems the best ways into that narrow niche is either to enter their annual writing contests or to get developed as a published author elsewhere on other topics, and then come back and hit them up.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 am
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
Indeed, it seems the best ways into that narrow niche is either to enter their annual writing contests or to get developed as a published author elsewhere on other topics, and then come back and hit them up.
Ah fair enough. I remember the time when it used to be a case of waiting for a open window to submit ideas and manuscripts.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:02 am
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
Ah fair enough. I remember the time when it used to be a case of waiting for a open window to submit ideas and manuscripts.
For Black Library specifically, or publishers in general?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:04 am
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
Well it used to be Black Library, I'm not too sure on other publishers. Now it's a case of sending a short writing sample to Black Library. They stopped using publishing windows due to the amount of entries they receive.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:08 am
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
Well it used to be Black Library, I'm not too sure on other publishers. Now it's a case of sending a short writing sample to Black Library. They stopped using publishing windows due to the amount of entries they receive.
Have you had the opportunity to send such a writing sample in the past? I've always had an interest in writing in the 40k universe, but I've never seriously pursued anything with Black Library.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:10 am
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
Have you had the opportunity to send such a writing sample in the past? I've always had an interest in writing in the 40k universe, but I've never seriously pursued anything with Black Library.
I've put in a few stories to Black Library in the past, but never got anywhere from it which is a shame. I might give it another go in the new year.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:14 am
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
I've put in a few stories to Black Library in the past, but never got anywhere from it which is a shame. I might give it another go in the new year.
How was your experience with their staff? Did they get back to you at all, give you any pointers, or just more of a "we regret to inform you" deal?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:19 am
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
Angels Sonata
DarkElf27
How was your experience with their staff? Did they get back to you at all, give you any pointers, or just more of a "we regret to inform you" deal?
I never really talked to their staff which was a shame. It was all done through emails, and I never got a response which did suck a bit, but it was to be expected seeing as they said on the website that they didn't give feedback to individual stories that didn't make the cut.  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games