Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:19 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

There are some traditions that worship him as that, true. From what he's said, though, Buddha did not wish to be worshiped as a god. He said that gods will not help man and that we must tend to our enlightenment ourselves (he did not address whether gods exist or not). The only part of the definition of divinity that I think could apply to Buddha would be: "of superhuman or surpassing excellence"

At least from the books I read and classes I attended. If there are any original documents that you've read that support otherwise then I could be wrong.
Well, it isn't so much a function of what Buddha said, but what god has come to mean.

Between Theistic, Deistic, Pantheistic and Monistic ideologies, the use of god could be applied to Buddha, and really- anything that has escaped the birth/death/birth cycle.

Mostly as a function of Transcendental Monism.

I see. Then if he can be considered a god why was it wrong for someone to claim him as a god aspect?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:33 pm
Sophist
TeaDidikai
Sophist

There are some traditions that worship him as that, true. From what he's said, though, Buddha did not wish to be worshiped as a god. He said that gods will not help man and that we must tend to our enlightenment ourselves (he did not address whether gods exist or not). The only part of the definition of divinity that I think could apply to Buddha would be: "of superhuman or surpassing excellence"

At least from the books I read and classes I attended. If there are any original documents that you've read that support otherwise then I could be wrong.
Well, it isn't so much a function of what Buddha said, but what god has come to mean.

Between Theistic, Deistic, Pantheistic and Monistic ideologies, the use of god could be applied to Buddha, and really- anything that has escaped the birth/death/birth cycle.

I see. Then if he can be considered a god why was it wrong for someone to claim him as a god aspect?

patch99329

From a 'wiccan'?

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:59 pm
mute_coyote
Sophist
TeaDidikai
Sophist

patch99329

From a 'wiccan'?
Bingo!

Though- I would also use source texts to challenge people's desires to treat him as deity.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:14 am
"Gee, I think I'll have a stake today, make sure its well-done and burn it if you have to."

"I'll get you and your little puppy too!"

"I've heard Salem is a wonderful place to live!"  

EternityRising

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:47 pm
EternityRising
"Gee, I think I'll have a stake today, make sure its well-done and burn it if you have to."
This counts as a bad pun... but isn't the worst thing a pagan could say.

Quote:

"I'll get you and your little puppy too!"
Again... I don't see how this makes the cut.

Bad jokes or serious threats don't really fit with the "worst things" a pagan could say.

Quote:
"I've heard Salem is a wonderful place to live!"
Actually, I have heard this. But hey- if you want to list this one, I'd ask you to talk to Cabot about it. I understand she loves living in Salem.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:12 pm
As to the first one I listed.....yes it is a bad pun, I did include that for humour's sake.

As for the other two...perpetuating bad stereotypes is one of the worst things a member of ANY group can do. That does nothing to change the opinions of people who dislike us and can infact increase their ire. For those that are unsure of us, that could push them over the edge into straight ridicule, fear, and hatred.

THAT is why I included them. Yes they are bad jokes as well but that is no different than me making redneck jokes and perpetuating the stereotype of stupid, wife-beating men who live in the South.  

EternityRising

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:03 am
EternityRising

As for the other two...perpetuating bad stereotypes is one of the worst things a member of ANY group can do.

Really? Because I think lying in order to placate people who wish to perpetuate misinformation is worse.
Which is what I would be doing if I said Salem was not a lovely place to live.

The architecture, landscape, entertainment and history is amazing. The seasons are beautiful by my standards- but I like New England Autumns and I accept that the summers are slightly more muggy than they are out here.

So I should lie- and say Salem is a bad place because...? Oh- because you say so. Because witches live there and they find it to be a boon to their business- like many a Mombi or Hogun do in New Orleans...

Shame on them for wanting to provide for their families and not doing so by being Christian in the town in which they live!

Quote:

That does nothing to change the opinions of people who dislike us and can infact increase their ire. For those that are unsure of us, that could push them over the edge into straight ridicule, fear, and hatred.
Myself- I would rather a fool mock me than have some frightened ignorant person agree with me and place me in a position to be afraid to make a joke.

No fool nor scared little flower is going to change my sense of humor. Their irrational fears do not dictate my actions and for YOU to say I am doing a disservice because I will not bow down to their ignorance makes your position highly suspect.

Maybe I should toss out my Baba's journal- after all, people associate our ethnicity with the kinds of things she writes about in the same book she pens how she mourned for the loss of her family.

I could burn it. I could ignore the valid information she taught me because Heaven Forbid someone hold me up as an example of a stereotype! Oh my god! I'm a stereotype because I follow my Family's Purity Laws!

Shame on me!

Quote:
THAT is why I included them. Yes they are bad jokes as well but that is no different than me making redneck jokes and perpetuating the stereotype of stupid, wife-beating men who live in the South.

Apples to Oranges.

If you perpetuate lies- you're right. Shame on you. But Salem is a lovely place to live. And jokes based on Modern Fiction or actual threats are not perpetuating stereotypes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:22 pm
Witch, jokingly: No, but the ritual should have been to KILL HER!
"Wiccan":...
"Wiccan": 3 fold law!  

Frail Appetite

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:44 am
IRAB WIXXAN: I'm a Wiccan High Priestess.

Me: Lineage?

IRAB WIXXAN: Druidic and G~.

Me: ~head desk~  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:22 pm
(Pagan doing some kind of exorcism ritual on t.v.)
Husband, imitating the woman on t.v.
Wife, warning, as if the woman is going to climb out of the t.v.: DON'T MAKE FUN OF WICCA! DON'T MAKE FUN OF WICCA!
Daughter: She's pa--
Wife: Don't make fun of Wicca!! She's Wiccan!  

Frail Appetite

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:28 pm
Frail Appetite

Daughter: She's pa--
Sounds like a first hand account. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:49 am
I would think that this whole website is a bad thing to say as a pagan.

Frisians don't have Celtic holidays. sweatdrop And basing your belief on a book (oera linda) that was created to proof that the bible is something not to take literally? gonk  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:33 am
Brill Wavedancer

Frisians don't have Celtic holidays. sweatdrop And basing your belief on a book (oera linda) that was created to proof that the bible is something not to take literally? gonk
Do they explain why one of their sacred symbols on that page is the board for Nine Men's Morris?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:56 am
Brill Wavedancer

I've seen that before.
Sites with dodgy lineage offerring lessons are 10 a penny within trad craft I've found ;(  

patch99329

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:58 am
Henry Dorsett Case
Do they explain why one of their sacred symbols on that page is the board for Nine Men's Morris?
I probably would know that, if I was familiar with the Nine Men's Morris. *looks it up on the web*

Oh, it is a game. Hmm... Don't know why they feel it is linked to their mysteries.

I'm just more bothered by these parts of the website.
ordo anno mundi
One of its magical texts, the "Oera Linda Book", has sections that date back more than four thousand years! [....]The Oera Linda Book was compiled over many centuries by the Frisians, a nation who in historical times lived around the southern coast of the North Sea. The Frisians believed that their ancestors had constructed the stone circles and megalithic monuments that are found all over Europe. They also claimed to be descended from the inhabitants of the lost island of Atlantis (or Atland, as they called it).

And well, I'm from the part they described. The book was not compiled four thousand years ago, it was made as a joke by Piet Paaltjens. We don't have water G~'s in our region, nor are there stories of water snakes. We don't think we are descendent's of Atlantis at all. Wralda? That is just Frisian for earth! Femmes=/=priestess. A Famke is just a girl.

And for @#$%@ sake! Even if you have the desire to compile your belief structure to a fake book and a fake history and fake facts of the Frisians, DON'T include fake Celtic practices or claim your tradition even links back to the druids! scream

[/rant] ninja  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games