Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:51 am
Henry Dorsett Case
To go along with a recent thread in M&R I just had to jump in on, even if only briefly...

"I'm a Pagan because someone else says I am! I disagree, and I don't classify my religion as Pagan, but someone said that I'm being willfully ignorant if I don't agree that my religion is Pagan. Sure, they didn't really have any authority that backed them up that my religion had to be Pagan, but they said so, so I guess I am!"

Or the Converse argument:

"I'm not a pagan because I don't want to be associated with that word. My religion may actually fit the anthropological classification of Pagan, but because of my own interpretation of the word and some minor differences I'm going to say that I'm not pagan; cause I don't wanna be."  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:14 am
Ethermus Prime
My religion may actually fit the anthropological classification of Pagan...
Because of course that is the only valid application of the word Pagan- no matter what dictionaries and actual pagans have to say about it!  

TeaDidikai

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:14 pm
Ethermus Prime
Or the Converse argument:

"I'm not a pagan because I don't want to be associated with that word. My religion may actually fit the anthropological classification of Pagan, but because of my own interpretation of the word and some minor differences I'm going to say that I'm not pagan; cause I don't wanna be."
"the anthropological definition"? This assumes that there is a singular anthropological definition that holds authority, and that the anthropological definition trumps all others.

There are competing lexical definitions, competing theological definitions, and I would wager there are competing definitions among ethnographers and other anthropological organizations. Really, your argument boils down to "the broadest definition fits, like it or not, because I said so". On what authority? Seriously, this is not the first time you've made statements as if you are an authority on the matter yourself. Or do I need to remind you of "Why do a complicated ritual? My buddy and I can ground and ward our whole apartment in, like, 20 minutes."  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:38 pm
See it's funny....When I do it, it's totally wrong; but yall...oh no it's completely acceptable.

Constantly shifting the context of the definition and altering the meaning from a general term to a Specific one are completely valid ways to get your point across.

Disregarding all that, There was positively no reason to post what you did in THIS thread. Yes, I know I'm Megalomaniacal and Egocentric....but I take personal affront to what I perceive to be an underhanded attack upon me.  

Ethermus Prime

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:58 pm
If there is a pissing match starting here, I would much appreciate it if you just took it to PMs. I'm all about good arguments here in the guild, but this would not be one of them.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:30 pm
Quote:
As for Christianity stealing from the Celts- it's common knowledge! Didn't you learn anything in your history classes? In order to get the Celts to convert, the Christians had to slowly push in their own religion. The peasants still celebrated many of their Celtic holidays, until it got to the point where the Church could no longer seperate them, and had to merely accept them and convert them as much as possible to a more Christian veiw.

Oh- and Islam is older than Christianity (even though Islamic Sacred Texts speak of Yeshua ben Yospeh).

And don't forget- all those Catholic Saints were actually Celtic Gods!  

TeaDidikai

ShadowSharrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:13 pm
TeaDidikai

Which ones ? not all of them were re imaginings of Celtic gods.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:50 am
ShadowSharrow
TeaDidikai

Which ones ? not all of them were re imaginings of Celtic gods.
The woman said all.

And I tend to look at the remains of Saints that were moved to Downpartick and the recorded information on the Saints and her claim and roll my eyes.

Also note that only a handful of Saints (mostly Italian Saints) have been removed from Canon in the last fifty years due to a lack of documentation.  

TeaDidikai

JewelWoods

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:36 am
I don't know why but this thread just reminded me of a bumper sticker that said "you can't be Christian, AND pro-choice."

Of, course, I'm not Christian, but i was raised catholic. And my mother is still a practicing catholic, and one of the most active members of her parish and she is pro-choice....and the Youth Group Leader of 12 years is gay. One day during an anti-gay sermon from the arch-diocese of Detroit, he and i Both walked out of the church.

I think the worst thing anyone can say or do is something closed minded. If you feel that you reserve the right to not agree with or like another persons religion or belief, don't be surprised when they don't like you and yours.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:42 am
JewelWoods

I think the worst thing anyone can say or do is something closed minded.
I feel the worst thing anyone can say or do is be so open minded that they loose all sense of reason in order to jump on a soap box and mistreat the people they consider "closed minded".
Quote:
If you feel that you reserve the right to not agree with or like another persons religion or belief, don't be surprised when they don't like you and yours.

I think this statement tosses larger communities morality out the window.
I think it is perfectly reasonable to hate what the Frosts preach when it comes to sexual initiation of minors- and I am frankly shocked when people who- in the name of being open minded- accept child molestation as a valid religious practice!  

TeaDidikai

ShadowSharrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:32 pm
Quote:
Wicca is not a screwing based orientated religion

roffle  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:56 pm
ShadowSharrow
Quote:
Wicca is not a screwing based orientated religion

roffle

Darnit. I was just coming in here to C&P that!  

TeaDidikai

Celtic of the Fae

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:53 am
I'm not pagan for the religious qualities.. I'm pagan because I get to run around sky-clad in the forest!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:07 am
Dark Angel Kio
I'm not pagan for the religious qualities.. I'm pagan because I get to run around sky-clad in the forest!
Wait. If getting to run around in the woods naked isn't a valid reason to devote your entire identity to a religion...

Wait, what? There are TICKS out there? And LEECHES? And TOOL FANS?

I think I'll stay inside, clothed, and make people wonder what kind of Pagan I am. xp  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:46 pm
Henry Dorsett Case

Wait, what? There are TICKS out there? And LEECHES? And TOOL FANS?
It's the TOOL fans I am worried about. We don't really have ticks and leaches here.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games