Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Errol McGillivray (illust. & visual storytelling) - [hiatus] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

UsagiKage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:07 pm
I saw this and I thought this might help you, errol. It's for coloring digitally. The links include a video compilation of her painting it, in a traditional sort of manner. She also has a typed tutorial on how she does her work in the comments section. It's a bit advanced but very useful.

http://dianae.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Painting-Tutorial-74468761  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:11 am
Thank you! (Could you post stuff like this to my mentee thread though? So I don't get confused. xD)  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:53 am
I'm sorry I was inactive. Can I still be a mentee?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:58 pm
Sorry! I didn't realize you had a mentee thread. I'll make of note of that.  

UsagiKage

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:33 pm
Starre, of course. Show me something when you're ready. No rush.

Usagi, no worries at all.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:57 pm
So I thought I finally did something right... I hand it in... and I get it back... and I look at it... and I realize how stupid I was.

Then I have this... which I think looks better. Except it shouldn't because it's fanart and psychologically I should feel more for my own characters and draw them better, right?

I guess it's because my characters don't have personalities and Rue does. But I don't have time to give them personalities before my portfolio is due. Also, it might be something else...

Do you have any suggestions?

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:07 am
Starre257
So I thought I finally did something right... I hand it in... and I get it back... and I look at it... and I realize how stupid I was.

Then I have this... which I think looks better. Except it shouldn't because it's fanart and psychologically I should feel more for my own characters and draw them better, right?

I guess it's because my characters don't have personalities and Rue does. But I don't have time to give them personalities before my portfolio is due. Also, it might be something else...

Do you have any suggestions?
There's nothing wrong with drawing fanart as long as you do your own stuff too.

I think the first is much better than the second. All it lacks is perspective. *to be continued*

Edit: It's coming. I'm in the process of finalizing a wedding and final project, so time is tight. It's coming though. I haven't forgotten you.  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:48 pm
Hey there. biggrin

I'm interested in being one of your mentees, if you've got the time. 3nodding
Here's my DA account if you want to check me out. xd

Thanks!

Orockthro

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:01 am
Orockthro
Hey there. biggrin

Thanks!
Good stuff. I was going to tell you to check out some of the links on my page anyway.

Thanks for signing up with me.  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 am
Errol McGillivray
Orockthro
Hey there. biggrin

Thanks!
Good stuff. I was going to tell you to check out some of the links on my page anyway.

Thanks for signing up with me.

heart Thank you for taking me! You've got some great links and resources out here.... mrgreen This is exactly what I was hoping for in this guild.
Now I'm just going to spend all my free time reading up on your stuff and not painting. xd Silly me....

Orockthro

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:30 am
Haha. Well, read some, paint some, come back and read some later. You can't do it all at once or you won't remember anything. xd I'm glad you find it helpful though. I'll be adding more things as soon as I get a little time at home.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:12 pm
xd
Nice plan.
Speaking of: I did a water/ocean study I'd like you to take a look at. If you're short on time, though, don't worry about - it's not a big deal. It's over at my Mentee thread. 3nodding

Orockthro

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:32 pm
At the end of the month I will be clearing my list. If anyone plans to stay with me, please let me know.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:28 am
List is cleared.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

iJigyakuteki_Cookie

4,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:21 am
I would like to be a mentee. ^_^ May you please take me?

I'll post up some references in some time.
My name is Dixie, known as Ruby online. I'm currently in High School. I'm mostly self-taught, but I've taken a few classes here and there. I'm currently trying to better in anatomy, line quality, and penciling. I have experience with Photoshop and know how to use much of the tools, yet I haven't come up with a great style to color my art just yet. Most people tell me I'm advanced with my art, but I feel I still have a lot of work to do.

Be my mentor?

EDIT: References. Just something to start with. Two unfinishes works, just sketch practices to show you where I'm at.

May be adding more as I do more practices.

http://jadedjay.deviantart.com/gallery/#_browse/scraps  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces