Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
What got you in to reading fantasy books? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Catred

Magnetic Sex Symbol

5,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:14 pm
I started reading fantasy just after I learned to read. My Dad had already read me the first Harry Potter book to me and I want to read more of that ttpe of book. So the first book I pick up was a book my teacher in 2nd grade read to us, The Polar Express. Then we went to the library in or school and in one year I had read every Fantasy book they had for my age. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:05 pm
I always loved reading, but as a child I read realistic fiction, having never been exposed to fantasy. When I was about 12 years-old I enterred my "no one nderstands me" phase, which I thankfully outgrew by age 14. The point is that while I was feeling so misunderstood I wanted to get as far away from my own world as possible. Places with faeries and sorcerers seemed like the way to go!

There's bad books of every genre. I find several fantasy books boring rather than crappy, for given the fact that I've read so much fantasy it's difficult to impress me. I know what you mean, though, when you unexpectedly disover a book that is great and you immediately rush out or hop on-line to see if that author has written anything else.

MinervaEvenstar

arugala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:15 pm
I think it was my dad reading me The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I loved that book so insaenly much when I was younger. Perhaps it was Harry Potter. My dad would read me that as well, but he didn't read me much when I was younger because he thought it was inappropriate. Most likely a combination of the two.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:00 pm
Back when I was in 7th grade I read "The Magic Circle" By Tamora Pierce. Since then I have never looked back. I worked my way through the fantasy and sci-fi section in my public library until I started started buying my own books. Now there is no surface in my room without a layer of books on it. ^_^ 3nodding  

Sumomo87

Wolves_Witches_and_Love

Anxious Cat

8,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:56 pm
You know what I was always in to Fantasy books. I started out in the very beginning with books about Magic and things.. So I've always been very in to it.. ^__^ I think my first books in to it was the Harry potter Series.. My Step mom wanted me to read more so she got me those books and told me to try them.. And ever since. I have been reading the same type of books.. I hate all other types. It has to be Vampire, Or Faeries, or magic.. Something..  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:32 pm
Well, it's all thanks to my family. In my childhood years they read to me a lot. I was into Disney (and I still am 3nodding ). So Disney is mostly fantasy. They read me a lot of the classic fairy tales. So that got me into my books and into fantasy.  

V for Virtuoso

Quotable Flatterer

9,575 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

FantasyHearts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:31 pm
My mother read me the Narnia series before I could read, so, when I learned to read, I read all the fantasies I could. I love the fantastical journeys they take you through. Romance, adventure, mystical beings and even a few spells, what's not to obsess over?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:04 am
I think that the thing that got me into fantasy was the fact that Iwanted an escape from my life.  

Zenjin101

Fruitzy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:47 pm
I really think it was Talking to Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede that did it for me back in about fifth grade. I instantly fell in love with magic and dragons and sorcery, and I've been reading fantasy novels ever since! ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:42 pm
It all began in my last year at high school; every single guy who sat next to me was reading these fantasy books all the time, but I never knew where to find them because libraries here in Guadalajara pretty much only stock textbooks and lame-a** esoteric books. sweatdrop Then last year I was at the International Book Fair in Guadalajara, the second largest fair in the world after the Frankfurt Book Fair, someone told me that Phillip Pullman's Darkest Materials series was cool, and thus I go out and buy The Subtle Knife.

Now I'm searching every single library in Guadalajara looking for fantasy books. surprised  

Da_Nuke

soupyeh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:55 pm
I've always liked the classic Disney faerie tales growing up. I started reading Royal Diaries then I really like the royalty type stories then got into Gale Carson Levine (Ella Enchanted). After that a friend introduced me to Tamora Pierce. Since then I just feel in love with fantasy.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:23 pm
harry potter was my first fantasy series and i read that in the third grade then i read chronicles of narnia rhold dauhl inheritence spiderwick chronicles(long before the movie)the edge chronicles and many others and i can't seem to want or need to kick the addiction  

Shexyfeline92

Blessed Wench

9,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

abandy123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:59 am
To be honest I have no idea why there are so many BAD maybe even horible fantasy books. I just hate those with a passion.

To be honest I don't know what got me into reading fantasy. I guss waut fiction is boring.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:06 pm
Wow. Now that I think about it Harry Potter got me in to fantasy(and maby reading in general). I was in second grade and I wanted to read the same books my brother was reading so I picked up Harry Potter and was hooked. :]

Black_Rose10

Wissakins

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:02 am
I grew up with book shelves filled with fantasy and science fiction books. My mother is an avid reader and always has been. It was just natural to follow in her footsteps.

There wasn't really a first fantasy book I read. The first thing I really remember reading was a collected edition of Grimm's fairy tales. Now there's a creepy place to start. I always loved the colored fairy books too (i.e.: The Green Fairy Book). Since then I've read thousands of books. I lost count years and years ago.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff