Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Runic Corner Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:03 pm
Deoridhe
Another, one I hold to as the last Ragnarok personally, is the battle between the giants of Christianity and the Gods of the Old Ways.

Interesting- is there a reason why Loki is commonly thrown in with the Giants?

Quote:
this may also explain why Odin has so many.
Good point.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:50 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Another, one I hold to as the last Ragnarok personally, is the battle between the giants of Christianity and the Gods of the Old Ways.

Interesting- is there a reason why Loki is commonly thrown in with the Giants?

Well, the simple reason in the Ragnarok just past is his torture at the hands of the Gods. sweatdrop I tend to interpret this as the Christian devilification of him; all warnings for UPG apply.

Another way to see it is that Loki really is a chaotic element - and when civilization crystallizes, it tends to discourage chaos, at which point a BIGGER chaos is needed to open up the system to change and growth once more.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:13 pm
Deoridhe

Well, the simple reason in the Ragnarok just past is his torture at the hands of the Gods. sweatdrop I tend to interpret this as the Christian devilification of him; all warnings for UPG apply.

Another way to see it is that Loki really is a chaotic element - and when civilization crystallizes, it tends to discourage chaos, at which point a BIGGER chaos is needed to open up the system to change and growth once more.
Oh! Da perdy!

So- here's a question for you to bring it back on topic.

The runes are grouped in three sets of "A_______" (because I'm blanking).
Some suggest that these pose a direct relationship within these groupings- even so far as it can be suggested that they are a shorthand for the Poetic Edda and is cycled through several times.

Within this view of Ragnarok as a cycle- do you see this reflected in the progression of the Elder Futhark within these groupings?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:05 pm
TeaDidikai
The runes are grouped in three sets of "A_______" (because I'm blanking

Aets. Freya has one, Heimdall has one, and Tyr has one.

TeaDidikai
Some suggest that these pose a direct relationship within these groupings- even so far as it can be suggested that they are a shorthand for the Poetic Edda and is cycled through several times.

Within this view of Ragnarok as a cycle- do you see this reflected in the progression of the Elder Futhark within these groupings?

I haven't seen it yet, to be honest. Ingwas and Berkano come awfully late with that interp, too, especially considering how early Kenaz is.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:44 pm
Deoridhe

I haven't seen it yet, to be honest. Ingwas and Berkano come awfully late with that interp, too, especially considering how early Kenaz is.
Perhaps it reflects the smaller "hiccups" of generative forces?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:30 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Perhaps it reflects the smaller "hiccups" of generative forces?

I dunno...

I view runes, personally, as a representation of the holograph nature of existence; every bit contains all of it. Within each is a cycle - several runes represent different aspects of the cycle... it's... I'm stepping out into wordless land here. I'll see which I can dredge up over time.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:36 am
Deoridhe

I dunno...

I view runes, personally, as a representation of the holograph nature of existence; every bit contains all of it. Within each is a cycle - several runes represent different aspects of the cycle... it's... I'm stepping out into wordless land here. I'll see which I can dredge up over time.
I love reading your take on this stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 am
Necroing. I really should get back on this, shouldn't I?  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:56 am
Deoridhe
YUS! heart  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:31 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
YUS! heart

Seconded 3nodding .

Which Ed Fitch book and Gundarsson book are you referencing in the posts about the runes?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

godhi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:59 am
Ultraviolett1127
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
YUS! heart

Seconded 3nodding .

Which Ed Fitch book and Gundarsson book are you referencing in the posts about the runes?

If you're talking about Kvendulf Gundarsson and his discussion of the Runes, that book would be Teutonic Magic, an interesting book on Germanic magical practices and how they relate to Teutonic religion. It's very well researched and highly recommended.
On the other hand, Ed Fitch is best known for writing The Rites of Odin, a poorly researched book on Norse magic and religion which unfortunately is strongly influenced by his Wiccan roots, as Fitch is not as much Asatruar as Eclectic Norse Wiccan. I should mention that Fitch is an old acquaintance of mine and his intentions are good, but sad to say his scholarship leaves much to be desired. His book is not recommended except for the artwork.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:27 pm
godhi
If you're talking about Kvendulf Gundarsson and his discussion of the Runes, that book would be Teutonic Magic, an interesting book on Germanic magical practices and how they relate to Teutonic religion. It's very well researched and highly recommended.
On the other hand, Ed Fitch is best known for writing The Rites of Odin, a poorly researched book on Norse magic and religion which unfortunately is strongly influenced by his Wiccan roots, as Fitch is not as much Asatruar as Eclectic Norse Wiccan. I should mention that Fitch is an old acquaintance of mine and his intentions are good, but sad to say his scholarship leaves much to be desired. His book is not recommended except for the artwork.

Thanks godhi ^_^ I will put that Gundarsson book on my "To Get" list.

The Rites of Odin came to mind first...and I've heard that it's about "Wicca-tru" and was just kind of surprised that it would be used as a source on the runes.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:03 pm
Ultraviolett1127

The Rites of Odin came to mind first...and I've heard that it's about "Wicca-tru" and was just kind of surprised that it would be used as a source on the runes.
You have to try to screw everything up... and really, they just didn't try. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am
godhi
Ultraviolett1127
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
YUS! heart

Seconded 3nodding .

Those would be the ones.

I included Fitch for completeness. I own the book, so I included it. Each post is less supposed to be a list of "true" and more a list of "people said".

Even my own section is less "true" than "what I said".  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

godhi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:05 am
My favorite books on Runes:

arrow Teutonic Magic by Kvendulf Gundarsson. This book deals with the Germanic Futhark, and has some interesting insights into the Runes.
Well worth reading.

arrow Futhark: a Handbook of Rune Magic, Rune Lore, Rune Might, and At the Well of Wyrd by Edred Thorsson. Highly recommended, although the latter book deals more with the subject of runic divination.

arrow Leaves of Yggdrasil and Northern Mysteries and Magick by Freya Aswynn. A controversial figure in the Heathen community, she is a practitioner of galdhr and seidhr magic who has some fascinating insights into the Elder Futhark and the goddess myths. Well worth reading.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff