Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
What do your parents think? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lolita.Chic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:48 am
I live with my grandparents and at first they would tell me "don't wear so much eyeliner" and "I'm not buying you anymore black clothes", but after a while they had to come to terms with the fact that this is the way I am and there's not much they can do about it. They know I'm a good person. I could be a hell of a lot worse.
I kind of made it a habbit to point out the "well-dressed, normal" teens that are out doing worse things than I am. lol I'm horrible sometimes, though.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:40 am
im glad someone pointed that out. my actions are typically good but the actions of some other people (mostly jocks and preps) are so much worse. (that being said, however, i have done quite a few bad things...for the wrong reasons, lol)  

themagikat

Tears and Rain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:12 am
themagikat
im glad someone pointed that out. my actions are typically good but the actions of some other people (mostly jocks and preps) are so much worse. (that being said, however, i have done quite a few bad things...for the wrong reasons, lol)

Oooh.. Do tell.. sweatdrop Me too..

BTW I've read all the posts in this thread (I know, I'm sad) even the long rants.. It's interesting what people go through and such..

[EDIT] The thing that makes me laugh is that the preps and the like think goths etc are innocent and would never do anything wrong (at least in England they do) just because they are the most "badass" or whatever xp and parents have some sort of rebellious picture of goths doing all sorts of drugs and stuff, I'm not saying that goths are perfectly innocent or that they're really rebellious but the conflicting ideas I just find funny.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:33 pm
Well considering i cant even dress in what i want im pissed my parents dont agree with goths they hate them my step dads this prepy jock and he wants me to be something i dont wanna be and he wont let me be what i want to be  

The_Night_Fox

Muted Faith9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:36 pm
The_Night_Fox
Well considering i cant even dress in what i want im pissed my parents dont agree with goths they hate them my step dads this prepy jock and he wants me to be something i dont wanna be and he wont let me be what i want to be
And he calls me a hippie gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:18 pm
Lydibug
themagikat

Oooh.. Do tell.. sweatdrop Me too..

BTW I've read all the posts in this thread (I know, I'm sad) even the long rants.. It's interesting what people go through and such..

[EDIT] The thing that makes me laugh is that the preps and the like think goths etc are innocent and would never do anything wrong (at least in England they do) just because they are the most "badass" or whatever xp and parents have some sort of rebellious picture of goths doing all sorts of drugs and stuff, I'm not saying that goths are perfectly innocent or that they're really rebellious but the conflicting ideas I just find funny.

if you really want me to tell than i will. one time, a few years back when i was in 8th grade, i was on a canoeing (sp?) field trip. basically, i got mad and i literally tried to kill a guy with my ore...but i was friends with a teacher so i got away with it and didnt get in trouble (and the guy was too afraid to pres charges).

long story short: magikat got mad, swung an ore towards other person horizontally twice and then vertically, but missed because of his speedy dodging and his going faster than my canoe. the ore ended up breaking in half and the flat end shattered after hitting the boat when i swung it vertically. its kinda funny to look back on it though.  

themagikat

zer0cool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:36 pm
What do my parents think. well as long as I keep my music down and dont come home trashed biggrin

oh and my father would rather I watch the darker or "scarier" horror movies in my room instead of in the living room.

I think if some people would not portray the goth that the media tells your parents is bad then you would not have a problem. And not that I am nitpicking but being pegan or practicing spells has nothing to do with goth. Though learning about such things is.

Early Victorian goths were christians, and even explored the death rites and rituals of such. They were a society of fashion, art, and ideas.

I caught on another thread someone saying that being goth was to question society, and I agree, Like Taoism (which I apply to mylife) it should be about acting without acting, your not supposed to as a Goth run around the mall scaring old people. You are supposed to be yourself. Gothic art and writing is probley the best example. Noone is trying to change the world with it. But it is working.

"A great leader is known, when after he is finished noone is sure he did anything at all."  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:56 pm
Well, I only have my mom as a parent. She really doesn't mind. She dislikes the music, but that is about it. She always takes me to places and gives me clothing tips (when I do decide to dress goth) and has always helped me and my sister dye our hair different colors. She also lets me get tattoos if I want and any piercing is okay with her. (But she hates tongue piercings.)

She really doesn't mind. She was goth in her day, and still honks loudly when she sees goth guys. xd  

Muffyn

themagikat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:45 pm
lucky  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:32 pm
My Dad actually finds me being Gothic more an entertainment than a problem. rolleyes See, my dad likes to think that he knows everything about everything so he had me watch all these movies and told me styles and things about 'Gothic', it was either in hopes of getting me to not do it or just to enlighten me. Either way I don't really consider myself 'Goth' so much as more of in a 'Neo-Goth' state. I rule out people's stereotypical veiws of Gothic by telling them it was a race of barbarians and if any label I'm a Neo-Goth. And if they want to use that as an insult they should say the full thing.

My Mom is actually quite bland about it. She doesn't much care as long as I don't do stupid things like steal cars or do drugs or drink or anything. I have smoked cigarettes and I have snuck alchohal but that wasn't because I think it made me look tough or because I thought it was what 'Gothic' people did. It was quite stupid of me but I saw those as slow attempts at suicide and I was quite fine with a slow death by cancer or liver disfunction. I've since stopped drinking and smoking though as I've gotten older. My mom listens to the music I do, buys it for me, she tells me I can get at least one T-shirt or pair of pants from Hot Topic everytime we walk in. She doesn't much mind about the make-up I wear. In fact, she gives me tips to make it look better and tells me what I did wrong. It's really quite nice to have help. She recently let me get my hair dyed, not entirly, but the tips are dyed black.

My step-dad, now, is the typical parent. He's old-fashioned and it really annoys me. He doesn't like peircings, hair dyes, or tattooing of any kind. Except maybe ear peircings. When I came home with my hair dyed (which...to everyone I saw...looked stunning) and he said, "What am I suppose to say? It looks good?". I didn't much care because if he doesn't want to look at it he can disown me. I don't mind, he's not my real father anyway. cool But yeah, if anyone doesn't like the way I dress, do my make-up, my music, or the way I live my life it would be my step-dad.

[Teh.Mule]

Toast Is Me

Wheezing Smoker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:55 pm
suprisingly, they dont have a problem with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:33 pm
again i say, lucky  

themagikat

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:27 am
My dad was a semi-punk in his youth so now he wants me to be one but I'm more goth than punk really (just most of the time I don't dress up and stuff coz I get too much hastle from townies) my mum does get a little worried when I tell her I want more piercings *sighs* my parents act really oddly towards me: some days they like it some days they don't
When I told the ageing 'punk' (my dad - I don't particularly like him) I liked Depache Mode and The Cure he kind freeked "they're 80's bands!" uh...yeah I hear good music I like it....that's a problem because?....same happened with The Who, Deep Purple and Velvet Revolver (yes I know most of them are considered punk but as I said I hear good music I like it. I was brought up on punk what the hell did he expect?!! Though he did think I like screamer bands and thrash metal stare )  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:01 pm
I've been wanting for 2 years before my parents allowed me to. Slowly worked my way in, first with the music, then ever so slowly black cloths and alot of persuation got me black hair eventually, started taking my mom's eyeliner lol and soon hopefully I'll get black lipstick lol.

overall I dotn' thing that they like it at all =p! but I don't really care what they like about me as long as they feed me until I get out of the house lol.

<3 to all

Vampyric Wytch

TanorexicAlbino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:04 pm
My parents are missionaries... that means we are constantly visiting churches in hope of getting offerings. And that means that they are very strict with the way I dress and act. Theyautomatically associate 'goth' with satanism and what not. When really there are plenty of Christian goths. They are quite superficial and it drives me bonkers. Yes. Bonkers.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff