Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
[Discusion] How do people in your area react to yaoi? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you grow up in a place that accepted yaoi/yuri for the most part?
  Completely, yes
  to an extent, but it varies between people
  Not sure
  No, not really
  You'd be smitted for thinking of supporting yaoi openly
View Results

Teh Maru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:44 pm
Most of my friends either like it also, or are just ambiguous. In my general area, no one says anything at least, but whether or not they care or not is not usually disclosed by them. I live in a VERY gay-friendly state, or my city at least... it was one of the first to allow gay marriage, even the mayor is a lesbian!! So I admit, most people probably don't care... but they'd probably think me pretty strange xd  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:31 am
I don't tell anyone outside my circle of friends. But when we do show other people, the general reaction tends to be, "Really? EW, THAT'S SO GROSS!....can i see it again?"

One of my straight guy friends is into manga and reads everything we do. My friend gave him the manga Fake, which is about gay cops if you didn't know. He said he skipped over all the making out parts buuuuut I don't believe him. rofl  

so long big bowser

Aino_Haruhi

8,100 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm
I grew up in New Orleans, which can be considered very liberal for a southern city. As such, I was raised to never descriminate against any group of people based on anything, including sexual orientation. So, most people I associate with are accepting of homosexuality.

As far as yaoi and yuri are concerned, most of my fellow anime friends like it or are ok with it. My mom, who is very open minded, wasn't completely turned off of the idea, but it seemed like a waste to put 2 hot guys together. I just laughed and said, "Well, I think it makes them hotter."  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:29 pm
Where i live is where people don't nessaryly care about Homosexuals but if they dress up as the opposite sex they will get pissed.(sorry if thats a bad word) Like if a boy dressed in girl clothes he would be in big trouble. Or when gay-marriage went around people portrayed it as a sin and whoever votes towards it will burn in Hell (which is competly wrong i think).But most people do not like anime and they dismiss it here so they do not even know it excists. But amoung my friends that read manga and watch anime they don't care. My guy friends watch Yuri and my Chick friends watch Yaoi simple as that and we don't talk about it to disturb one another biggrin  

The Invisable Spaz

Anxious Lover

11,500 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Pie Enabler 100

NuclearWessel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:47 pm
In my big group of friends, I'm pretty much known as the girl who loves anime and gay boys xD
Theyre all used to it and they know its a part of my character xD  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:28 am
where I live I have to hide it. When I read yaoi manga it has to be hidden behind a larger book or something like that, because god-forbid a guy should be reading anything like that.......  

Rogue Knight of The Word

sgcs6766

6,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:41 am
i come from hawaii.....and although there are many gay relationships out there....it is still frowned upon here. also the community that i live in is thee worst when it comes to this subject. to speak that i like yaoi...i would be ridiculed and deemed a weirdo...and probably shunned LoL  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:00 pm
A lot of ppl I know hate yaoi but at the same time are furries, which I have a very hard time understanding x.x I wouldn't tell anyone what I'm into as long as no one tells me, that works out fine.  

LoopyWire

Yugiohfan12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 am
I live in a neighborhood that's totally religious so if they found out that I love Yaoi, they might lecture me over and over again. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:05 pm
Living in Texas, Parents aren't so understand...
Teenagers in school. With my friends who are mixed with varies of people. The girls in my group understands and there are some guys who are gay here. I only seen 5 are and about 10 more who seem like it but don't show it.

But mostly the girl punks are bi and there are bi guy.  

maisuke-san

Beloved Fatcat

Labtech Abi

Friendly Pumpkin

8,975 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:56 am
I live in the north east, so we're pretty progressive, us northerners. However, I'm pretty sure gay marriage isn't legal yet in my state. My mum and stepdad are pretty open-minded, but don't get me wrong.

I may live in the North, but we still got country where I live, and of course I live in the country. So there are 2 openly gay kids in my school and both get ruthlessly made fun of >:[. Soo in the general area where I live, yaoi is not accepted. Plus we live in a pretty religious community. rolleyes Even up here North people aren't really open-minded.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:10 pm
Down where I live if I were to be open about being a moderate yaoi fan or a yaoi fan in general I would be looked down on and given the ultimate look of disgus not ot mention my parents would make it their duty to remind me every single second that im impure and immoral for liking such a thing. I find it a bit irrtating when they use such rude vocabulary when talking about the subject, but anywho yaoi is highly disliked by about everyone around me and most of the people in my area are closed minded to that kind of thing.  

Lastea

Underworld Symphony

Dangerous Raider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:02 pm
I live in germany and i only told some of my friends and my father & brother that i am yaoi fan girl.
We are living in a small village and the people here a very religious, some of them would say its disgusting others might "accept" it (while slandering behind ones back)
Gay people shouldnt try to live here, in towns it would be a problem thought.
Even my family thinks i am strange because i read this stuff <.<  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:39 pm
I'm one of very few kids that like yaoi, and the people that like it as well are my friends. The rest of the population, I think, have little to no clue what Anime itself is.  

Used Jello

Used Jello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Silent Demon Leila
I live in germany and i only told some of my friends and my father & brother that i am yaoi fan girl.
We are living in a small village and the people here a very religious, some of them would say its disgusting others might "accept" it (while slandering behind ones back)
Gay people shouldnt try to live here, in towns it would be a problem thought.
Even my family thinks i am strange because i read this stuff <.<

Aw! That sucks. DX  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas