Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Age of Sigmar Discussion
The Orcs and Goblins Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yogo Fish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:51 am
Immune to magic in what way ?
30 power dice in a 2000 pt game is nothing to scoff at.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:58 am
Never underestimate a horde army.Goblins are going to out number a Khorne army 5 to 1.Give all the godlins bows and artilary,mix in some Night goblins with 3 fanatica each and PWNAGE!  

GT_Popogeejo

Drakeoss Dragoon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:01 pm
GT_Popogeejo
Never underestimate a horde army.Goblins are going to out number a Khorne army 5 to 1.Give all the godlins bows and artilary,mix in some Night goblins with 3 fanatica each and PWNAGE!

Very true I'm starting up a goblin army and I'm including nothing but goblins 1 unit of orcs, some trolls and a gaint or two I'm planning on just wieghing my opponent down with all my gabbos then letting my giants and trollz finish them off twisted

And since the threads been nice and active latly I guess I'll be nice and tell you guys what I'm working on for my thyme army I'm making an army of gablin enginers twisted basicly since goblins and dwarfs are always going at it I got to thinking just what would the goblins do with all the machines, tools, etc that was left after the fight so I figured that some where out there the goblins may have learned just how to use them, don't get me wrong there still goblins just with metal instead of wooden things give it a sec and it will still fall apart rofl so I'm doing things like giving my guys hammers and saws and so on for weapons instead of clubs and axe's, so what do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:45 pm
Lethkhar
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Yogo Fish
My orc and goblin armys usually include lots of shamans and few to none combat characters that seems to work.

Except that one time where i beat my friend 3 times in a row with my wyvern/grimgor. Tomb king chariots just don't like s7 wyverns who charge them or grimgors who strike first.

Best thing about Goblin Armies: At 2K Points, you can have 3 Level 2 Shamans, A Goblin Warboss, and 2 Goblin Bigbosses to lead your units. That's always useful. Can you imagine what all that does to the enemies, especially when you fit them all out? 8 Powerdice, 5 dispel, Ability to take 6 Dispel Scrolls, and then you have all those Heros. Pretty good Army.

besides the fact that against a brettonian or chaos army your goblins would be completely helpless. Anything with well-armored units is going to just mow those little guys down., an you'll have to have amazing luck to kill them with goblins. A Khorne army is practically immune to magic, anyways, so ur shaman would just be a waste of points. You need some muscle in ur army, numbers aren't everything.

Actually, they do quite well there. Start with a Combat Res. of 5(3 Ranks, Standard, Outnumber), and since you can have 40 Goblins with Spears, Full Command, and 3 Fanatics(Or a Hero if it's a basic goblin unit) for only about 215, yeah, the enemy is going to do SOOO much. rolleyes You underestimate Goblin Hordes. Even if you start with a Combat Res of 2(Unlikely to have many extra ranks with your calvary after 4 Bolt Throwers, 2 Rock Lobbas, and 2 Doom Diver Catapults open up into them), then you need 4 wounds to beat them, which I'm sure that the mass of attacks back could even out. Goblins are quite good, and in my opinion, one of the best infantry in the game(For their cost, not for skill).  

Drachyench

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:36 pm
I'm not underestimating the goblins, I'm just saying that even with the starting combat res of 5, my khorne elites with 3 attacks each are going to slaughter them without the goblins (most likely) even dealing 1 single wound. Sure, there a tons of attacks, but the likelyhood of them getting by WS5, T4, and armor 4+ is so low it's almost negligible.I'll probably still get a higher combat res. We mustn't forget about my fear-causing demons, either. Mass hysteria, and considering goblins' low leadership, your army will be gone in no time. So pure goblins is not always the best way to go. Sure, fanatics are nice, but are they core units? Plus, fanatics have a bad tendency to do more harm than help.

Siege weapons? You think that I'm going to fall for siege weapons? I scoff at siege weapons, they're just a waste of points when you have furies and beastmen against you.

30 Power Dice? I would love to know how you accomplished that. I've never even seen that number of power dice in a 3000 point army. Even so, where are you putting all these shamans? Maybe I'll get rid of them first thing...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:06 pm
Lethkhar
I'm not underestimating the goblins, I'm just saying that even with the starting combat res of 5, my khorne elites with 3 attacks each are going to slaughter them without the goblins (most likely) even dealing 1 single wound. Sure, there a tons of attacks, but the likelyhood of them getting by WS5, T4, and armor 4+ is so low it's almost negligible.I'll probably still get a higher combat res. We mustn't forget about my fear-causing demons, either. Mass hysteria, and considering goblins' low leadership, your army will be gone in no time. So pure goblins is not always the best way to go. Sure, fanatics are nice, but are they core units? Plus, fanatics have a bad tendency to do more harm than help.

Siege weapons? You think that I'm going to fall for siege weapons? I scoff at siege weapons, they're just a waste of points when you have furies and beastmen against you.

30 Power Dice? I would love to know how you accomplished that. I've never even seen that number of power dice in a 3000 point army. Even so, where are you putting all these shamans? Maybe I'll get rid of them first thing...

Who said 30 Power dice? The most you can ever get is 12 at 2Kpts., and that leaves you with only 2 Bigbosses to use otherwise.

Yes, because you'll definetally have enough Flying and Beastmen Squads to take down 8 WARMACHINES in just 1 TURN.....

Not really, since you'll HAVE to move through the fanatic, even if it didn't reach you(Khorne must continue charge), D6 S5 Hits no armor Save will still take down at least one on average.

Battlestandard with Rowdy Rott Red Banner within 12" of your major Characters(Leadership 9 with rerolls to leadership).

Finally, yes, you could have that happen, though you would most likely lose either 6-7 Guys from fanatics(Average of 10 Hits from 3 Fanatics, causing 6 to 7 Automatic wounds on Average), or you'll be wasting a unit against another unit probably not worth as much.

Yes, Both Nightgoblins AND Basic goblins are core units.

You forget, fear only causes them to run if you OUTNUMBER them, you cannot have 1 Bloodletter cause 40 goblins to run. TERROR causes them to auto-run, and I doubt you'll have much luck with a bloodthirster against basic goblin units head on. (8 attacks, so that's 6 Hits, rounded up, and 5 Dead Gobbo's. Beat you with a Musician, so you lose your frenzy and have to take an instability test).  

Drachyench

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:22 pm
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Lethkhar

Quote:
Who said 30 Power dice? The most you can ever get is 12 at 2Kpts., and that leaves you with only 2 Bigbosses to use otherwise.

Ok that makes more sense Yogo Fish said 30 at the top of the page and I was like WTF?!?

Quote:
Yes, because you'll definetally have enough Flying and Beastmen Squads to take down 8 WARMACHINES in just 1 TURN.....

Who said one turn? I certainly didn't. I don't need to do it in one turn. I can just stay out of range until the time is right.

Quote:
Not really, since you'll HAVE to move through the fanatic, even if it didn't reach you(Khorne must continue charge), D6 S5 Hits no armor Save will still take down at least one on average.

OMG I've never heard of a fanatic before! I think I already mentioned this. Fanatics are expensive when you consider that I know you're going to use them. Warhounds, my friend, can charge your goblins, provoke the fanatics, and let the rest of my army watch your goblins get slaughtere by their own comrades wielding giant spiked balls as they fall back into the goblin ranks.

Quote:
Battlestandard with Rowdy Rott Red Banner within 12" of your major Characters(Leadership 9 with rerolls to leadership).

Hmm...interesting. And what makes you think that I won't try to take this out?

Quote:
Finally, yes, you could have that happen, though you would most likely lose either 6-7 Guys from fanatics(Average of 10 Hits from 3 Fanatics, causing 6 to 7 Automatic wounds on Average), or you'll be wasting a unit against another unit probably not worth as much.

I've already explained fanatics, they're not gods. They're just tiny goblins with big weapons that are extremely risky for both players.

Quote:
Yes, Both Nightgoblins AND Basic goblins are core units.

I was talking about the fanatics. stare

Quote:
You forget, fear only causes them to run if you OUTNUMBER them, you cannot have 1 Bloodletter cause 40 goblins to run. TERROR causes them to auto-run, and I doubt you'll have much luck with a bloodthirster against basic goblin units head on. (8 attacks, so that's 6 Hits, rounded up, and 5 Dead Gobbo's. Beat you with a Musician, so you lose your frenzy and have to take an instability test).

Yes, but they need to score 6s to hit in the first round of combat, more than enough time to reduce your 40-strong to about 20-25 with my unit of 20. That's gonna hurt even more, the goblins will not be able to wound anyone. Once I've reduced you regiments and gotten rid of the banner, I send in the bloodthirster and game over.

Goblins have their strengths in numbers, but their crappy stat lines make up for it. A full goblin army is foolish, in my opinion, because you can't hurt anything; you best hope of winning is through combat resolution, and when your opponent has elite troops with 3 attacks each, that's going to quickly turn against you. But that's just my opinion.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:16 pm
Lethkhar
Yes, but they need to score 6s to hit in the first round of combat, more than enough time to reduce your 40-strong to about 20-25 with my unit of 20.

What are you on? 20 Dead in just one round of combat? They're lesser demons, not Bloodthirsters. Unless you do something very nasty on that first turn(Like, say, a flank and Front charge), then odds are you won't kill that many. Remember, most goblin bases are smaller then most demon bases. That will get you even less attacks, even though most hits will easily kill them.

Fanatics are Unit Upgrades, max of 3 Per Night Goblin unit at 25pts each.

The Warmachines will have a 48" range, at least. Unless you are playing one large table(Gamesday & Megabattle size), they will be able to shoot at you.

Yes, Warhounds WILL be able to draw them out, but in return, there is only a 50% Chance they will go back in any direction, and a 50% chance they will go foward. Plus, with a Max distance of 12" Foward, plus the ability to chose which way they go when they come out(They don't have to move toward the unit that comes within 24", it's just recommended.).

Because the Standard Bearer will also be in a unit of 40 Gobbos, and since Khorne has very little shooting and Magic...

Yes, Fanatics ARE a risk for both players. A funny one, too.

FInally, I kept forgetting to mention them, but Squigs. 2 WS4, S5 attacks each, plus the fact that they don't get run down in combat, they are quite a nice unit. Sure, they'll definetally run, though then you have tons of squigs bouncing around, blocking charges, negating marches, etc.  

Drachyench

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:00 pm
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Lethkhar
Yes, but they need to score 6s to hit in the first round of combat, more than enough time to reduce your 40-strong to about 20-25 with my unit of 20.

Quote:
What are you on? 20 Dead in just one round of combat? They're lesser demons, not Bloodthirsters. Unless you do something very nasty on that first turn(Like, say, a flank and Front charge), then odds are you won't kill that many. Remember, most goblin bases are smaller then most demon bases. That will get you even less attacks, even though most hits will easily kill them.

Correction, first two rounds of combat. My demons have way higher initiative than goblins, and considering that I would (hopefully) get the charge. And even if I didn't get the charge, your goblins need 6s to hit. And with 3 attacks each, odds are I am going to kill a lot of greenskins.
Quote:
Fanatics are Unit Upgrades, max of 3 Per Night Goblin unit at 25pts each.

Ok I didn't realise that, thanks for correcting me. sweatdrop
Quote:
The Warmachines will have a 48" range, at least. Unless you are playing one large table(Gamesday & Megabattle size), they will be able to shoot at you.

Ok, even if we were playing on an outrageously small tabletop, I could still engage all of your siege weapons with small units of warhounds on the first turn. I wouldn't necessarily kill them, but I would definitely stall them until I can get something tougher in there.
Quote:
Yes, Warhounds WILL be able to draw them out, but in return, there is only a 50% Chance they will go back in any direction, and a 50% chance they will go foward. Plus, with a Max distance of 12" Foward, plus the ability to chose which way they go when they come out(They don't have to move toward the unit that comes within 24", it's just recommended.).

I still don't understand your logic. You see, in a full goblin army, you're almost sure to include fanatics in almost every regiment. So what's wrong with me holding back my units until your fanatics are done with their work of tearing apart anything within range (including your own troops)? And I wouldn't use the word "only" with 50% in the same sentence. I've seen better odds go for the worse.
Quote:
Because the Standard Bearer will also be in a unit of 40 Gobbos, and since Khorne has very little shooting and Magic...

Oh...my...god!!! How unpredictable it's in a unit of goblins? I was under the impression that you just left one goblin holding a standard in the middle of the battlefield! stare

Quote:
Yes, Fanatics ARE a risk for both players. A funny one, too.

Well, at least we agree there.

Quote:
FInally, I kept forgetting to mention them, but Squigs. 2 WS4, S5 attacks each, plus the fact that they don't get run down in combat, they are quite a nice unit. Sure, they'll definetally run, though then you have tons of squigs bouncing around, blocking charges, negating marches, etc.

Squigs are fun! they're like fanatics, risky for both players! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:54 pm
Squigs?
Did someone say Squig?
Those bouncy little buggers have put my Khorinate Army to Shame.
Of course, the Squigs were mine too, so it all worked out.  

Clockwork_Creep

Dangerous Lunatic

7,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Drachyench

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:47 am
lord_illpalazzo
Squigs?
Did someone say Squig?
Those bouncy little buggers have put my Khorinate Army to Shame.
Of course, the Squigs were mine too, so it all worked out.

Nothing is more fun then sending a 8 wide front of squigs into an enemy unit. 16 S5 WS4 attacks is nothing to laugh at.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:06 pm
Letting them all go crazy is alot of fun too.  

Clockwork_Creep

Dangerous Lunatic

7,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:11 pm
Well, at least we agree on something, Drachyech. Squigs are awesome! biggrin Me luvs dem!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:04 pm
Lethkhar
Well, at least we agree on something, Drachyech. Squigs are awesome! biggrin Me luvs dem!

Just point and move 'em foward. Who doesn't love a giant ball of fungus and teeth?  

Drachyench

Clockwork_Creep

Dangerous Lunatic

7,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:31 am
I was playing a skirmish with my brother, and his (my) squigs messed up my (his) Handgunners.  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff