Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
History of Magic III (1/5) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:02 am
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

User Image

Wand: Supple and Smooth//11 3/4 inches//Hawthorne//Fairy Hair
Current Age: 13
Blood: The son of a squib and witch from pureblood families
Year at Hogwarts: Third Year
Wearing: Ravenclaw Robes

Seriously Leo? Just let someone else take the fall.

David winced as Professor Powell called out their ending part of the conversation. Come to think of it, he realized Cathy had already had this class. Well, at least he would have one League over enthused about the class. He opened the parchment and raised a brow at Professor Powell with a sigh, "You know I was actually, the one trying to take the blame. I did start the in-depth conversation, after all. And, it wasn't entirely a lie, I just glossed over some details."

He stood as the class was dismissed and said, "I assume this extra assignment also includes any loopholes I could think up with? At least the 500 word essay on review shouldn't be too tedious, Speaking of my little sister, though, you'll enjoy her. She loves history, but maybe you already got that impression from her? I'll see you tonight or tomorrow then, Professor," He added with a nod, not particularly perturbed by the assignment. Though, wondering exactly how much like a stereotypical Slytherin he sounded-then again he grew up around them.

He leaned over to Leonette and added quietly, "You probably should squeeze this in after your last class and before Astronomy tonight. And, we can further discuss any matter I brought up sometime later. Tonight, I have extra homework to do."

He turned back to Professor Powell and said with a smile, "Only what was discussed in class, correct? No filler from the book that I picked up in addition, I assume?"

User Image
Pet: Annabella

murruelecreuset

Diamond Wales

{ OCC: Yep, overly bold cheeky third years who think 'oh the professor hasn't heard me yet is whispering even necessary'. Feel free to smite David with Professor Powell's wrath.}  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:18 am
User Image

User ImageUser ImageLocation: History: Wednesday 9:00am to 9:45am

Leonette's heart sank when she opened the letter and read it. Maybe it wasn't as good of a cover up. It was probably her fault that they got caught too. She'd have to make it up to David somehow. Leonette really wanted to say something. Though she couldn't help but feel like saying anything more about this would only add insult to injury.

Hearing that he wanted to take the blame off of her just made Leonette feel worse. 'Why didn't I keep my mouth shut...?' she thought before collecting her things. Listening to what he was saying to Professor Powell she hoped he wasn't going to get in anymore trouble for his words.

Nodding at David's suggestion Leonette thought about the essay she now had to write. It should be easy for David... just probably not for her. Mentally she calculated a little more then 150 words per topic. Man would that chew up any available free time she did have. As David continued being more of the smart alec he was Leonette decided to say something. "I'm sorry Professor I promise it won't happen again. I'll see you sometime tomorrow to turn this in." she said wishing that her words could just undo all this.

With: class... David, Professor Powell

Wearing: Gryffindor Uniform

OOC: That's alright it's nice to see one of my character's getting in trouble. Secretly kind of hoped for it. Besides it was bound to happen smile

mc2
Diamond Wales

Gryfindor you say?
Yes, I could see you doing well there...
So be it! Gryffindor!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:48 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson walked into the classroom, looked around to see that everything was ready, and picked up a piece of chalk. He wrote on the chalkboard, and when finished, turned to regard the class as a whole.

Professor Powell
                                            Muggle Witch Burnings

"Hello class. Last time, we went over the subjects you studied last year to refresh any knowledge you may have lost over the summer. Today, we are going to go ahead and study the witch burnings of the 1600's.

"Now, as you are very well aware, muggles nowadays don't know about the wizarding world, due to either ignoring magic when they see it or passing it off as merely fantasy for children. However, that was not always the case. The International Statute of Secrecy was only enacted relatively recently within the last several centuries, which of course hides magic from the rest of the world.

"However, wizards and muggles did coexist at some point. For the greater bit of history, they worked together. However, at some point muggles began to distrust wizards, and some even began to fear them. It culminated into the infamous witch burnings that basically ran like wildfire across the world.

"The witch burnings weren't specific in who they targeted. Mostly, they actually persecuted other muggles who they believed to be a witch. Unfortunately, that wasn't always the case. Many of the witches and wizards they grabbed were muggleborn, and they were unfortunate in that most of the time when they were captured, it was due to uncontrollable acts of random magic they had performed.

"Contrary to the name, burning wasn't the only way they got rid of witches. Stoning, throwing them off cliffs, and even drownings were also considered to be acceptable ways to get rid of witches. Most witches and wizards who were caught actually didn't die, as they were able to cast some form of magic to get them out of the situation. One witch in particular found it quite fun to get caught. Wendolyn the Weird actually was caught a grand total of forty-seven times, mostly in different guises, because she found that the tickling sensation of casting a fire-freezing charm was actually enjoyable."

He sat at the edge of his desk as he regarded the class with a bit of a grin. "As I'm sure you have questions, please feel free to ask them, or if you wish to discuss it, that's perfectly fine too."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic classroom
                                            Thinking: Hopefully no one decides to talk during lecture today and pays attention.
                                            OOC: Sprry about not responding to your last post mc2, the class was over, and I was busy until now.

Now where did I put that wand?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:46 pm
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

User Image

And every time I leave this class trying to figure out the true point in requiring this class till 5th year...

David entered the classroom and took a row or two back from the front which was more common for him than the back row he took during the first day of class-then again, he had no interest in review classes. Pulling out blank parchment and the notes he had already taken on the subject from the textbook. As he listened he end up mostly twirling his quill between his fingers listening to the lecture and wondered exactly how long it was before Cathy would start questioning things about blood statuses and such with her history classes and history textbook. Yet, he sort of had a feeling she wouldn't actually be the type to directly confront him about glossing over the issue and dodging it all summer. Now, when she figured out the extended family's stance he wasn't so sure she'd let the issue slide.

He glanced back up to Professor Powell as he continued lecturing and back to the notes he already took. He starred a couple names and topics that he had already wrote down from reading ahead and lay his quill down and suppressed a sigh as he waited for what was probably at least one person who would bother to ask a question. For some reason there was those who actually took an interest in the subject and were determined to learn more than what was going to be on the OWLs, which considering the lack of usefulness of history class, he was going to drop the class after. What was the point of history anyways? It was done and over with.

User Image

{ OCC: No problem about that.}  

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:35 pm
So lying underneath those stormy skies.
She said oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh.
I know the sun must set to rise.

ⒽⓐⓛⓕⓑⓛⓞⓞⓓXXXXXUser Image⒮⒤⒩⒢⒧⒠User Image

¸.•´´¯`•• .¸¸.•´¯``•.
Tanya was sure if she hadn't actually slept in that day she'd be yawning once she walked into History. She took a seat and pulled out her things ready to take notes or doodle whichever really took her fancy that day. She managed to jot down a few key notes, mainly to look like she was paying attention, as her mind wandered. Mainly she was excited for the first Hogsmeade weekend happening soon, the first Quidditch game of the season was this weekend with Gryffindor versus Slytherin and she'd actually be participating, and she had yet to get any good shots of Echo and Kas cuddling even with her spies in Ravenclaw. If she didn't know better she'd think her friends had caught on to her...Kas maybe, Echo, probably not. Tanya blinked when she heard silence and realized that the professor had stopped speaking and minutely looked around wondering if that meant they could leave early.
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`•• .¸¸.•´`•

WearingWhere: History classroomWith: ClassThinking: Pleasepleaseplease...OOC

This could be para- para- paradise
Para- para- paradise
Whoa-oh-oh oh-oooh oh-oh-oh.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:12 am
User Image

Leonette walked into history and without even so much as looking at the textbook took a seat next to David like last class. "Morning." she said before opening her textbook to the section they'd be discussing. Grabbing her quill and parchment Leonette wrote the title at the top and waited for class to start. As soon as it did she took detailed notes remaining silent. There was no way she was going to get in even more trouble not when she hadn't even looked over the topic. She would make sure to review it later like on the weekend or something but for now she just wanted to get through the class without any form of punishment.

Status: A new lesson... better not talk today he'll definitely be watching
With: class... David

OOC: ---

mc2
Diamond Wales

Gryfindor you say?
So be it! Gryffindor!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:47 am
Waking up in a world surrounded by flames...
Where everything I liked is about to fade...
How could you be the one, if you're not the same?
If in the hands of gods, you have lost your way?
How ever fast I dance to make the sun shine-
I will never fall down!
No matter what it takes, I'll try to save the ghost lights...
How ever hard I pray to remake you mine-
I will never fall down!

How ever hard I pray: Bored
To remake you mine: ...
I will never fall down: Third Years
No matter what it takes: History of Magic

E L S B E T H | L Y N W E N | V A S S
B L O O D T R A I T O R | H U F F L E P U F F | T H I R D Y E A R User Image

Elsie was glad that most of the witches and wizards who'd been burned or stoned or whatnot had probably been able to escape, but she felt that the muggleborns and even innocent muggles were not as lucky, since they couldn't control their magic or didn't even have magic. Maybe some of her ancestors had survived being drowned and thrown off cliffs. She was from an old pureblood family, after all, on both sides. Her father's parents would have been horrified to learn that her generation didn't espouse their beliefs about blood purity.

I'LL TRY TO SAVE THE GHOST LIGHTS...

Waking up in the fog, the dust and the pain...
And of the sunny days, no traces remain...
How could you be the one, if you sail away?
Without you I can't stand the sound of the rain!
How ever fast I dance to make the sun shine-
I will never fall down!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:40 am
There is a ghost...
Deep in my throat...
Shoving it down...
Speak and you choke!
Every fire...
Sharpens the flood...
Throbbing and wild!
Stained in blood...

User Image

DAVID SHOICHET | THIRD YEAR | GRYFFINDOR | MUGGLEBORN
And each little lie: Calm | Making mountains: ... | Mountains I climb: Third Years | Wasting my time: History of Magic

David wondered why the witches and wizards hadn't just tried to put a stop to the persecution themselves, since the mobs had probably been armed with, what, pitchforks and swords? Everyone went on about how wondrously powerful magic was, after all. He smirked throughout the entire lesson. It was almost funny. He'd certainly been amused last class, with Arse David's blatant attempts to worm his and his girlfriend's way out of getting detentions. Professor Powell wasn't as oblivious as he came off as, apparently.

Somewhere between dirty and clean, water and smoke, laugh and you choke...

Feeding the fire...
Teasing the lies!
With dirt in my eyes...
Oh, dirt in my eyes
Pissed it away!
The heroes are gone.
Dirt in their sheets...
Rum on their tongues...

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:07 am
Robin 'Theo' Gibbs

User Image

House: Gryffindor{|}Ex-Football Player{|}Third Year

Theo walked into his most boring class, a small grimace on his face. He really didn't want to be there. He finally found an open seat among the students. And just after that, he just about started daydreaming. He closed his eyes as the professor talked, falling asleep within seconds. He had happy dreams...for now.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:45 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson walked into the classroom, excited to get the class started. He quickly wrote the topic for the day upon the board, and then turned to face the students. He grinned at them, more comfortable with teaching than he had been at the beginning of the year.

Professor Powell
                                            Nicolas Flamel

"Hello again, class. Today the topic is Nicolas Flamel, renouned alchemist and quite possibly the longest lived wizard of all time.

"Nicolas Flamel (c. 1327 - c. 1992) was a well-known alchemist and only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone, a legendary substance with incredible powers. He was a close friend and partner with former Hogwarts School Headmaster Albus Dumbledore. He owed his considerable age to the Elixir of Life which he and his wife, Perenelle, created using the Stone. They were aged six hundred sixty-five and six hundred fifty-eight, respectively, at their time of deaths.

"Flamel is noted as an alchemist of considerable talent and as an opera-lover. It is said he enjoyed his later years living a quiet life in Devon. Although it is clear that he used the Elixir to greatly extend his life, it is not specified whether he used the Stone's powers to make himself greatly wealthy, as the Stone is also capable of turning any metal into gold.

"The danger of the Stone's existence was brought to light when Voldemort, with the help of Hogwarts Professor Quirinus Quirrell, was nearly successful in stealing it for the purpose of restoring Voldemort to physical form. However, his plan was thwarted by the efforts of Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley. Flamel agreed, along with Dumbledore, that the stone should be destroyed. With enough Elixir to set his affairs in order, it was expected that Flamel and his wife would die shortly thereafter.

"Now I know that some of you may have questions, so please feel free to ask them. However I do have a question for you. Would it be worth it to live forever and have endless amounts of money if you had the ability to do so?

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic classroom
                                            Thinking: Hrm... I think I need to get on students sleeping in my class...
                                            OOC:

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:58 pm
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

User Image

Nicholas Flamel. Philosopher's Stone. We already went over this in Alchemy. Or at least those who chose Alchemy...

David sat in his usual spot in the History of Magic classroom near the center and while he had his book and the notes he had already taken from the book out, he opted for his usual habit of twirling his quill in his fingers and mostly just occasionally underlining or starring something that had been stressed in class. When Professor Powell said 'now I know that some of you have questions', David couldn't help but admire the professor's enthusiasm and optimism in a strange way. In general, from what he had observed of the rest of his class none of them seemed to have taken an extreme interest in the subject. Then again, he supposed he could be wrong. Most of his classmates seemed to have his attitude of just wanting the class to be over the sooner than later. Questions would just delay class release.

When Professor Powell asked about the possibility of living forever and having endless amounts of money, David couldn't help but set his quill down and offer, "That gets into the question of what state would you live in forever and if you would still age. And having endless amounts of money would eventually render money worthless in the long run. Besides none of that is really worth all that much if you actually don't continuously make a notable mark. By the time he died Flamel and his wife were living fairly quiet and not noteworthy lives-they lost touch of that strive to keep achieving more. Their lives are a prime example why the Philosopher's Stone isn't as great of a gift to have as people think it is."

He could feel his eyes rolling at himself for using history as an example for the present. So, his sister may have half a valid point of history influencing the present and current decisions and is good to learn from-not that he was going to ever tell her that and let her lord that over him. She tried to be right almost as much as he did, she just didn't expect to always be right or perfection all the time from herself. Well, at least he sounded more interested in the class than he usually did. Maybe it would make up for the fact he half way through review the first day of the class spent it talking.

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:10 pm
So lying underneath those stormy skies.
She said oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh.
I know the sun must set to rise.

ⒽⓐⓛⓕⓑⓛⓞⓞⓓXXXXXUser Image⒮⒤⒩⒢⒧⒠User Image

¸.•´´¯`•• .¸¸.•´¯``•.
Tanya groaned as she drug herself into History and plopped down in a seat and waited for the professor to begin. It's not that she hated history, just that it nearly bored her to tears. Not literally of course that would be rather barmy admittedly. She wrote down all that he spoke on Nicolas Flamel and the philosopher's stone (while giving a tiny prayer of thanks that they were finally away from the fricken book of fairy tales) before she paused at the question presented to them. Would it be worth it? In her mind, not really unless her friends and family were with her along for the ride. Otherwise what would be the point in all the money if she couldn't spoil it on her friends, her Mother, Cookie, or even the Whitethorne's? She came out of her thoughts at the sound of David's voice and listened at his opinion with rising ire. Who the hell did he think he was?! "Who are you to say that their life wasn't 'noteworhty'? Because they weren't zipping around the continents finding endangered species and using their blood and ligaments for the betterment of man?! They were tired old people who probably wanted to use the time they had to see their great-great-great grandkids grow up and tell them funny stories about their parents! Don't speak as if you know them or their life and to even utter that gob about them...i-it's maddening to tell you the truth!" Luckily she managed to control her voice and wasn't shouting like she probably would have been but that didn't make the anger in her voice any less.
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`•• .¸¸.•´`•

WearingWhere: HistoryWith: ClassThinking: I'm going to wring his neck I swear to MerlinOOC

Para- para- paradise
Whoa-oh-oh oh-oooh oh-oh-oh.

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:55 am
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

User Image

Wonderful, another argument.

"I said at the time," David clarified his eyes narrowing at Tanya. "Flamel was a quite remarkable alchemist in his height. He did create the Philosopher's Stone, after all. There's no reason they shouldn't have been able to watch their family and still inspire them through their own achievements. Completely retiring when you have that much potential and talent is a waste, not only for society but for his own family."

He let out a sigh and said, "Then again, maybe he gave up fame and continued to work behind the scenes? Some people are happy to make achievements without ever being recognized for them. It is fairly hard to beat the fame of successfully creating the Philosopher's Stone and both obviously would have far more knowledge-and probably wisdom- than either of us do. They had the benefit of six-hundred years and most likely more if the Da-Voldemort- hadn't interfered. Either way it isn't like we can go ask them at this point."

Glancing at the professor he said to end the discussion and to avoid further trouble-he swore if he had to write lines again because of Tanya he'd probably strangle her- besides it wasn't really worth arguing about for either of them, "Sorry, Professor Powell, for my poor wording to that question. Then again it is a matter of opinion. We all are free to disagree on that point. There is no right or wrong answer from how I see it. It merely depends on the person, correct?" He actually sounded genuine about his apology to a point. He hadn't admitted he was wrong but he had as much dismissed Tanya's opinion and stated she was entitled to it, but he was entitled to his as well. Well, he did state the answer to the question would depend on the person and he admitted to poorly wording his answer which was more than typical for him.

User Image

Yukina101
Diamond Wales

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:33 pm
User Image

Walking into history Leonette had completely moved on from her first class mistake. With the weeks going by, she figured there was no point dwelling on it. Sitting in class Leonette was still rather uninterested. She sat next to David like usual as Professor Powell started talking about Nicolas Flamel. The guy seemed pretty important, seeing as he made the Philosopher’s Stone. Sounded to her like he caused more trouble than he solved.

Of course Tanya and David got into it. Leonette knew David didn’t mean anything by what he said, after all Flamel did do something worth mentioning. Maybe that’s what she got for hanging around him more often than not. Listening to her two friends, Leonette wished her classmates would just not argue but that sounded too simple. Being right beside David she picked up on his little slip. It bothered her a bit but she kept quiet.

“May I just say that I don’t think it’s worth it…” Leonette piped up before falling silent again.

With: class... David

OOC: ---

Gryfindor you say?
So be it! Gryffindor!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:20 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson entered the classroom, his usual pep about his own subject apparent as he walked to his desk. After making sure that he had the classroom in order, he then turned to write the lesson on the board before he settled back to wait. This should be a fun class, he mused, as he waited for the students to arrive.

Professor Powell
                                            Newt Scamander

"Hello class, and welcome back to class. This lesson, we will be focusing on one of the most noted magizoologists in history, Newt Scamander. He of course has helped to inform the wizarding public about magical creatures, their habitats, and how they behave. He also was a bestselling author, having written one of the textbooks that Hogwarts still uses today.

Newton Artemis Fido "Newt" Scamander was a famed Magizoologist and author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Scamander developed an interest in magical creatures early in life, influenced by his mother's breeding of hippogriffs. After attending, and graduating from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Scamander joined the Ministry of Magic. After spending two years in the Office for House-Elf Relocation, Scamander joined the Beast Division and put his knowledge of magical beasts to good use. In 1918, Scamander was commissioned by Augustus Worme of Obscurus Books to write Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The book became a best seller, making Scamander a respected expert in the field of Magizoology. In his personal life, Scamander married a woman named Porpentina, and fathered at least one child. By the beginning of the 1990s, Scamander was retired and living in Dorset.

"During the time he was writing Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, he travelled the world, gathering as much information as he could about the creatures he studied while compiling his book. The book itself has had at least fifty two editions since its original publication. He also was responsible for the Werewolf Register, and created the Ban on Experimental Breeding in 1965. His extensive work in his field of study led him to achieve the Order of Merlin, Second Class."

Grayson smiled and looked around the classroom. "Now, I know that this was a bit of a long lesson, but I will let it off on a lighter note. I want you to think on which magical creature is your favourite and tell the class, as well as what you would study about it if given the chance to."

════════════════════════
                                            Thinking: Last class, whew!
                                            OOC:

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items