Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Different Types of Vegetarianism! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pilliwinks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:25 am
Bwahahaha. I laugh insanely to keep from homicidal rage.

There is no government regulation on free-range; it's just a glorified label to make uninformed consumers feel good and pay more. As is the "Animal Care Certified" label you may see on some products.

Organic, however, is regulated, and only applies to what goes in the animal in question. Organic animal products come from animals who are not given antibiotics or growth hormones. So, that's better for the consumer, but not for the animal. Here's one source. If you don't trust that, go search it yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:50 am
Rebel_TheSpazist_Idealist
Look, the economy has a balance. Money is spent to upkeep the farms, which is used to raise the animals, which is used to eventually get their eggs and milk. suppose one day everyone goes vegan. then what? what happens to those farms? you dont honestly expect us to keep them running do you? then all that makes those animals are a burden to the economy. no human is supported their entire life, and no animal should be either. by allowing those cows to continue to live in those farms, even after they are contributing absolutely nothing would be placing the the value of an animals life above that of a humans, and both are equal. neither are more important. humans have to work for their entire life, and while i dont think we should work the cows, the least we can do is milk them to help support the economy financially. i believe a cow being milked is a little less work than what the average human has to do simply to keep food on their plates. So also, we work to keep food on our plates, and making them not have to give milk would be affecting us negatively and advocating animal superiority in 2 ways.

1. Giving them a free ride their entire life not being required to do anything but wander around an open field, which would promote inequality between animals and humans.
2. Even after we've had to work, if the cow is not required to it would even further limit the food we can put on our plates that someone who had once worked on a dairy farm now has to work even harder for.(bit of a double wammy)

and say we stop supporting those farms that the cows are living on instead of continue to upkeep them simply as a house for the cows to have everything handed to em. if that happens, well, they cant live in the wild, lost those instincts long ago. over time, they would die out.

Im not better than an animal, but also because i believe an animal is no better than me is why im vegetarian and not vegan. vegans, hope you have fun being a cows b***h, but i hope youll understand if i say no thanks. I have no desire to be anyones b***h, human or animal. Im curious about that farm... let me ask you, do you think that farm costs money? Are the cows paying the money? Obviously not, and of course cows cant pay with money directly, but their dairy products can, which is supporting the economy in a fairly easy way i might add. Seriously, whats the farm there for? what, do they gather all their cow friends around a fire and sing kum-baya? you cant always believe everything you read, my friend. ha, whats funny is that im the one who convinced you to go vegetarian in the first place, and now youve gone full vegan.(not meaning that in an insulting way at all dude, just as a statement of irony)

Now if you all will excuse me, im hungry. gonna go down stars and eat some delicious and cheesy nachos. I know... i'm such a horrible person! shame on me for urging the cows to to contribute to society in the same way that every human being should be required to do as well! if i ever meat someone still living at home in their mid 20's who is also unemployed, ill be sure to remind myself that im a horrible person when i tell him he needs to move out of his parents basement(thats sarcasm, incase noone caught it... except for the nachos part, because i really am starving right now sweatdrop ate at bugaboo creak today, and ordered the barbeque chicken nachos without chicken, and made sure to get extra delicious cheese, and there was so much of it that I got full before I was even halfway done, and made sure I had some sour cream to wash the chips down with... mmmmmmmm... nummy)

There's some critical errors and logical fallacies in your "argument." First, you're taunting. People who are trying to persuade do not ridicule.

If somehow everyone were to turn vegan, farms would not run. Who's to say there would still be animals in the farms at the onset of global veganism, anyway? Perhaps all the livestock would be slaughtered and consumed before sudden veganism struck, in that unlikely event. If you want to talk about supply and demand and reason, the increase in veganism would likely be slow. Demand would slowly decrease, so supply would decrease in return, fixing its own problem.

No one is saying we should "house" animals. Domesticating animals in the first place was illogical; why should we capture animals and make ourselves their caretakers? That's illogical. We could've left the cow undomesticated, allowed it to care for itself, and then murdered it at our own convenience. In The Covenant of the Wild, Budiansky notes that animal domestication meant trouble for humans; the beginning of the domestication of livestock was marked with death and deformity for humans.

Who says we should preserve species? In a demented way, you're right. Humans have moved away from being self-sustaining and have moved into a money system in which animals cannot participate. We're creating a world in which animals are being pushed out, and it's hurting us indirectly. We don't directly profit from their existence, but they participate in this crazy thing called a food web that keeps the world functioning.

You know what? The other day, there was a bird on my lawn, enjoying itself. Maybe I should go out there and make it pay up somehow. It can't eat to survive and then simply live, it needs to pay some rent.

You argue as though everything is on the planet for human use. I don't think the world owes me anything. I don't see an animal and think of how it owes me, or of how I could use it. Why can't animals exist independently from humans? In a way, animal life benefits humans because they play a role in the environment keeping things balanced; bats eat the bugs we dislike, birds poop on cars making room for human businesses to profit, plants produce the oxygen necessary for humans to survive, etc. But those plants that produce our oxygen don't produce in our monetary system, perhaps we don't need them afterall, right? They're getting a free ride on our sun and soil and CO2.

How are the vegans the bitches? I don't deal with cows at all. You depend on cows for milk. You go out of your way to participate in activities with cows, and vegans don't do that at all. There's no logic in this bitchery of yours.

Don't you know the "delicious" dairy industry in which you participate is an integral part of the meat industry? Your demand for milk is creating more and more cows that are going to be slaughtered or "catered to". If everyone were vegetarian, not eating meat but consuming dairy, vegetarians would serve the cows, not vegans. Vegans wouldn't have cows.

Also to consider are the many points that Famicommie brought up on your distorted views of interspecies equality.

pilliwinks

The Botanist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:00 pm
I am a lacto-ovo, I avoid animal by-products and I drink soy and rice milks. The lacto-ovo part is there for the little ingredients that may appear in foods. But I avoid it mostly as a whole. So ALMOST vegan I suppose. If I must drink real milk or eggs, I try to get free range (and I know that not all free range ones really means cruelty free...).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:05 pm
Cheza [The Flower Maiden]
Go Veaganism!!!!
I' am a level 5 vegan I eat nothing that cast a shadow.....(only drink water) Sorry someone said that to me the p***k!

Thats from some TV show but i can rember what it was called. sweatdrop  

whatername

thatgirlwholaughsalot

Tipsy Fairy

10,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:49 pm
pollotarian over here!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:57 am
ima Lacto-Vegetarian heart mrgreen  

The Pocket Sized Ninja

Man-Hungry Sex Symbol

10,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

weeedy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:48 am
Vegan!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:36 pm
I'm weird. I don't eat meat, seafood, poultry, honey, geltine and I dont wear anything that harms animals. I do eat eggs but I use the free- range ones.  

Catherine teh Vegan

Littlemiss1753

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:26 am
I think I am a mix, I'm a very fussy mix though I won't drink milk and if I personally see milk going into..lets say a cake mix for instance I won't eat it but I am perfectly happy buying a cake and eating it even though I hate milk and eggs. But I do eat cheese. The same goes for eggs if they are the main ingredient in something I won't eat them but if I can't see or taste the eggs then I am fine with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Will you find me a blue rose?

Don't forget flexitarian. Which is the same thing as semi-vegetarian.

User Image

Arashi Inu

Streetlight Serenade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:33 pm
I don't eat any type of meat, but will have milk, but I don't have it that much. Most of the time I'll have milk and eggs in products like cake and brownies. I'm trying to quit dairy products and things like that slowly. It's really hard since it's my parents who buy the food in the house, and everyone in my house eats alot of meat.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:19 pm
I'm afraid I'm Pescetarian, Lacto, and Ovo. I only consume fish. When I first became this type of vegetarian 5 years ago when I was 12, I didn't think to deeply about how wrong it is.
Recently I've been feeling TERRIBLE when I eat fish. The thing is, my parents wont allow me to drop fish from my diet. But the bright side is, I'll be 18 in 7 months. Then I can decide for myself and drop fish 100% out of my diet. I've been avoiding fish as much as possible. I wont allow myself to eat it more then a couple times a month.

I just feel terrible for eating fish, and I hate feeling like I'm not a "true vegetarian"  

Pandemasu

nmbr1jesuslover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:00 pm
im a pescetarian  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:06 am
I am full-on vegan. =D no meat, milk, egss, fish, poultry, honey, nothin! =D I try to cut back on oils too. Yay for healthy living. =3  

Limelight_x

Lipstick x Lullaby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:20 pm
i myself am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. :]

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items