Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:29 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
That being said, some things, like hamingja, you lose when you die. It goes to your family. You may be sucked up in it (one explanation for Disir) but YOU are then part of IT instead of IT being part of YOU.

Can one "add" to one's Hamingja?

Oh, yes. In fact, for the sake of ones descendants, one should. This includes material wealth and positive reputation in ones' community, btw, which is one of the reasons one of my more common objects of discussion re: Hamingja is Paris Hilton. Here is someone with a high hamingja who is, even before becoming valuable within the contexts of the family, squandering both reputation and wealth, which lessens the family's hamingja.
Very interesting.

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:05 am
Note for self: Ulfrikr recommends the following sources for runes:

A Concise Grammar of the Older Runic Inscriptions by Elmer H. Antonsen, part of the Sprach struckturen series published by Niemeyer (yes, it's in English), ISBN 3-484 60052-7, published in 1975 - it's out of print, but you may be able to find it through Amazon or other second hand book dealers.

Runic Amulets and Magic Objects by Mindy MacLeod and Bernard Mees, Published by Boydell & Brewer Ltd. ISBN 1843832054 - I've only started out on this one, but it's already proving good, but they still make the same mistake with ergi...

In other news - I have LAND! With a TREE! We haven't made friends yet, but i built a small hoff using sea-rocks and gave a offering of several hearty swigs of Maker's Mark Whiskey. Hopefully, the house and land wights will forgive my slovenlyness if I keep them drunk enough. ninja  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:00 am
Deoridhe
He's a gem isn't he?

Quote:
In other news - I have LAND! With a TREE! We haven't made friends yet, but i built a small hoff using sea-rocks and gave a offering of several hearty swigs of Maker's Mark Whiskey. Hopefully, the house and land wights will forgive my slovenlyness if I keep them drunk enough. ninja
I'm so happy for you! heart  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:56 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

He's a gem isn't he?

He is love. I've very glad he found this guild.

TeaDidikai
Quote:

I'm so happy for you! heart

Now we need to work out you coming to visit! heart  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:57 am
Deoridhe

He is love. I've very glad he found this guild.
Indeed.

Quote:

Now we need to work out you coming to visit! heart
Sounds good. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:49 am
My most elaborate and disturbing/enjoyable experience (it was both, believe me) with pathwalking was when I went to the other world and ended up in a field - I'm thinking on the outskirts of one of the more habitable worlds off of Yggdrasil - full of flowers. On whim, I started picking some of the flowers - until my hands and arms were full of them (incredible variety - such color, such life!). They didn't die when I picked them, though; instead, they sent roots out of the bottoms of their stems and into my veins. I kept picking and they kept joining in the fun of rendering me herbal until their/my roots reached my feet and they/I rooted there. We grew into a giant tree made up of every kind of flower imaginable.

Consumption.

I've never felt the same since. Shortly after that experience, I started "seeing" animals, mostly fish and lizards.

My thought now is that perhaps the next stage - more clear communication with animals, may come via consumption as well.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:53 am
Deoridhe
They didn't die when I picked them, though; instead, they sent roots out of the bottoms of their stems and into my veins. I kept picking and they kept joining in the fun of rendering me herbal until their/my roots reached my feet and they/I rooted there. We grew into a giant tree made up of every kind of flower imaginable.

Consumption.

I've never felt the same since. Shortly after that experience, I started "seeing" animals, mostly fish and lizards.

My thought now is that perhaps the next stage - more clear communication with animals, may come via consumption as well.
Very interesting indeed.

Otherworld consumption is something I am learly of myself.
~Is NOT fish food~

Do you have suggestions for others as to how to come to terms with this? Or do you see the consumption aspect as part of your larger path or something that is more personal rather than Asatru at it's core?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:05 pm
TeaDidikai
Otherworld consumption is something I am learly of myself.
~Is NOT fish food~

I didn't have much choice, and Serbius (my fylgia) said it should be ok. His advice is usually spot on.

TeaDidikai
Do you have suggestions for others as to how to come to terms with this? Or do you see the consumption aspect as part of your larger path or something that is more personal rather than Asatru at it's core?

I have no idea.

I know that some of the FICTION associated with Asatru has a consumption element, but I don't know how much of that is taken from Shamanistic style practices. The information we have about Seidhr is damn thin on the ground; I'm making up a lot of it as I go along, and asking Serbius' advice.

I can say that my experience of it is now that I have two mes; I have humanoid me and I have tree me. I kinda have three, since I have snake-me, too. I know there's some references made to people "becoming" their fylgia; this could be an extension of that.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:39 pm
Deoridhe
I can say that my experience of it is now that I have two mes; I have humanoid me and I have tree me. I kinda have three, since I have snake-me, too. I know there's some references made to people "becoming" their fylgia; this could be an extension of that.
Interesting. Is there more information you can share?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:07 am
Interesting!

I have a question for you, if it's been asked aleready then I apologise redface

There is no question that the anglo-saxon deities and the norse deities were heavily influenced by eachother. Are you of the opinion that they are the same deities?
(E.g woden and odin)

I've been researching the anglo-saxons recently and it's something that i've wondered about. So I thought it'd be a nice idea to ask an asatruer for his/her opinion. smile

Thanks,
Emma  

patch99329

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:59 am
patch99329
Interesting!

I have a question for you, if it's been asked aleready then I apologise redface

There is no question that the anglo-saxon deities and the norse deities were heavily influenced by eachother. Are you of the opinion that they are the same deities?
(E.g woden and odin)

I've been researching the anglo-saxons recently and it's something that i've wondered about. So I thought it'd be a nice idea to ask an asatruer for his/her opinion. smile

Thanks,
Emma
How much of this would you consider linguistic in nature?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:10 pm
^ Hmm, this is something I have thought about alot.

However, correct me if I'm wrong; but I believe there is a geographical difference between where the anglos, saxons and jutes came from, and the vikings.
In addition, the vikings couldn't have got the idea for their deities or vice verca from britain, for example(just a theory I heard once confused ); because their religion was aleready established when they first began invading. Plus I -THINK- britain was aleready christian at the time.

P.s- If this post makes no sense I apologise. I'm xtremely tired. I'll come back and review it tomorrow if necessary.^_^  

patch99329

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:15 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Interesting. Is there more information you can share?

I need to pick back through Jenny's Seidhr book and see if I'm remembering right. As for the details of my different selves... not really.

patch99329
(E.g woden and odin)

Hrm... do you mean the deities that we know through Saxo's History of the Danes? I know very little about the Anglo-Saxon's outside of linguistic trends, so I don't even really have a basis for assessing your question. What lore are you talking about?

patch99329
However, correct me if I'm wrong; but I believe there is a geographical difference between where the anglos, saxons and jutes came from, and the vikings.

Let me pull up de handy Wikipedia; history is not my strong suit.

Wiki-historians say:
- that the Angles came from modern Schleswig-Holstein, Germany - which is the north-most part
- that the Saxons came from the areas of modern Northern Germany and the Netherlands- that the Anglo-Saxon invasions were in the time period of around mid-5th century to the Norman conquest of 1066 CE.
- that Vikings originally referred to people from the bay that lies between Cape Lindesnes in Norway and the mouth of the Göta River in Sweden and that is it used as a term for a period of history between 800 to 1050 CE in Scandinavian History

We can take from this:
- we're talking about the same historical period of time.
- the Anglo-Saxons come from the modern areas of N. Germany and the Netherlands
- the Vikings were from a small section of the Norway/Sweden peninsula
- my family, the Danes, are entirely neglected. 8( 8( 8( 8(

So, yeah, significant geographical differences, given the times.

patch99329
In addition, the vikings couldn't have got the idea for their deities or vice verca from britain, for example(just a theory I heard once confused ); because their religion was aleready established when they first began invading. Plus I -THINK- britain was aleready christian at the time.

The vikings didn't invade, really. They attacked, took what they wanted, and left. The vikings also are not ...terribly significant, when it comes to historically analyzing the Germanic and Norse peoples; they came form a small area during a limited period of time. I'm a little baffled by your use of the term, to be honest; it's one I tend to avoid.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:36 am
Deoridhe
I'm a little baffled by your use of the term, to be honest; it's one I tend to avoid.
Sad to say but true- most people consider any style of Norse Reconstruction to be a "Viking Religion" not too unlike how any ditheistic witchcult is "Wicca".

I can however understand why Patch is looking to them- as they are a prime example of a group of people who traveled out of their homeland and exchanged culture with those around them.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:25 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
I'm a little baffled by your use of the term, to be honest; it's one I tend to avoid.
Sad to say but true- most people consider any style of Norse Reconstruction to be a "Viking Religion" not too unlike how any ditheistic witchcult is "Wicca".

I can however understand why Patch is looking to them- as they are a prime example of a group of people who traveled out of their homeland and exchanged culture with those around them.

I think I may have totally misread this post and xp can you explain what you mean again?
Does it tie in with the use of the word 'invasion' above?

Thankies,
Emma.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas