Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
First Aid for: Lea Florens Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:01 am
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 am
User Image  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:14 am
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 pm
Lea Florens
User Image

I can understand how you're struggling with a pose like this. It's a weird pin-up type pose and those always give me trouble. But there are a TON of problems with the anatomy in this.
It's really uncomfortable to look at, but I don't know how to tell you exactly what you did wrong.  

The Drunken Jester

Tipsy Lunatic

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:24 pm
The Drunken Jester

That's about the same as how I feel about the piece...thanks for the input.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:29 pm
Lea Florens
The Drunken Jester

That's about the same as how I feel about the piece...thanks for the input.

You need to work on shoulder and hip joints.
And breasts wouldn't hang like that. Her thighs are too long, or if you want her to have long legs then her calves are too short.

I have a lot of the same problems, artistically, that you seem to. But I'm going to fiddle with my tablet to see if I can't get it to work well enough to give you some redlines okay?  

The Drunken Jester

Tipsy Lunatic

The Drunken Jester

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:59 pm
Okay, so my redlines suck. Because we're sort of... on par in our talents. But It made me understand what I was seeing.

User Image

You see, you've got her back twisting. But you don't have her hips following. That's the problem with the hips and the legs. So I've angled her butt. And that fixed that problem, sort of, and so you have to change her legs a bit too.
Also her torso is really too long, but that's a stylistic choice so I ignored it.
And the problem in the shoulders is just that you didn't bother to visualize the way a shoulder works or connects to the body.
You should've drawn a straight line across (or in this case it would've been an oval now that I think about it).
I did a very bad job of redlining now that I think about it....

Um.. Anyway. I hope I helped a little.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:27 pm
The Drunken Jester

I don't fully agree with your redlines, and being told I 'didn't bother to visualize' something is hurtful. But I appreciate you trying to help, and I appreciate the effort you took to redline.  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

The Drunken Jester

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 am
Lea Florens
The Drunken Jester

I don't fully agree with your redlines, and being told I 'didn't bother to visualize' something is hurtful. But I appreciate you trying to help, and I appreciate the effort you took to redline.

I'm sorry. I don't always have the best way with words when it comes to critiquing. That wasn't really what I meant.

Anyway. Sorry if I wasn't of any help.

EDIT: In one last attempt to be helpful, here's a reference to a similar pose, but at more of a side angle. Her knees aren't bent, but maybe it'll help.Picture Reference.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm
User Image  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:48 am
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 am
Lea Florens

wow you have amazing art! may I ask what is your coloring medium?

the only major issue I have with the last piece you posted is that his abs look concave.
I've been told that really nothing on the body is concave (our muscles and fats usually push things outward. -pokes own belly :< ) -ahem- anyway!
I think what would probably help is to draw out a straight grid as a guide first and then draw abs in. They wont be washboard straight but at least you'll avoid the completely caved in look.
i hope what I said makes sense, sometimes i feel like i'm talking out of my butt q A q  

Ciwish

Hygienic Gekko

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:34 am
Ciwish
Lea Florens

wow you have amazing art! may I ask what is your coloring medium?

the only major issue I have with the last piece you posted is that his abs look concave.
I've been told that really nothing on the body is concave (our muscles and fats usually push things outward. -pokes own belly :< ) -ahem- anyway!
I think what would probably help is to draw out a straight grid as a guide first and then draw abs in. They wont be washboard straight but at least you'll avoid the completely caved in look.
i hope what I said makes sense, sometimes i feel like i'm talking out of my butt q A q

Hrm. I'll try that next time. XD
Also, they're markers. I use copics. :3  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:36 am
Lea Florens
Hrm. I'll try that next time. XD
Also, they're markers. I use copics. :3

I see (love them. but been into digital more lately)
Keep up the good work too! biggrin Hopefully we can do an exchange one day. Your art is super -thumbs up-  

Ciwish

Hygienic Gekko

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas