Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RubyLight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:01 pm
TeaDidikai
RubyLight
I consider the "rise of Tavaan" a charming idea if it helps those who follow the works of Cunningham and whovever else's non-Wicca. Think about it, how many arguments with fluff buckets clamiming to be Wiccans get to the point of "your path is valid, it's just not Wicca." For some reason, a lot of people need a title of some sort to feel valid.
Didn't Charity point out that Cunningham's book was Standing Stone Trad?

Ah, that is correct! I haven't read his the text "Wicca" in some time. sweatdrop The Standing Stone Tradition . . . why didn't I think of that?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:49 pm
RubyLight
TeaDidikai
RubyLight
I consider the "rise of Tavaan" a charming idea if it helps those who follow the works of Cunningham and whovever else's non-Wicca. Think about it, how many arguments with fluff buckets clamiming to be Wiccans get to the point of "your path is valid, it's just not Wicca." For some reason, a lot of people need a title of some sort to feel valid.
Didn't Charity point out that Cunningham's book was Standing Stone Trad?

Ah, that is correct! I haven't read his the text "Wicca" in some time. sweatdrop The Standing Stone Tradition . . . why didn't I think of that?
Because the T'vaan thing was popular and it's been ages since you read his work? ninja  

TeaDidikai

Adalyna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:10 pm
TeaDidikai
Asahi Sara
I found this in the book I'm reading, I wanted to ask what the guild thought of this terminology.
T. Thorn Coyle

A Witch begins with intuition, and the Magician with intellect, so though both practice the art and science of magic, the Witch relies more heavily upon the art, and the Magician upon the science.

would anyone in the guild hold this to be true? I know there are some people that feel there's nothing scientific about magic, but for the sake of argument, would this be a rough understanding of the difference between the terms Witch and Magician? Is there a difference between these terms? Thanks for the help!
This turn of phrase is most applicable in generic Neo-paganism. It largely references the roles as played out in Tarot and it's application to the Kabalistic Tree of Life and Aleister Crowley's definition of magic.

My personal reaction is to call it an appeal to authority though.
Ahh i see 3nodding for now it seems like these terms might be helpful to me in my own personal practice, but I didn't think they were accepted in accurate in all circles. Thanks again Tea!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:17 pm
Asahi Sara
Ahh i see 3nodding for now it seems like these terms might be helpful to me in my own personal practice, but I didn't think they were accepted in accurate in all circles. Thanks again Tea!
Just as a heads up- I know it's insulting to a lot of witches. Especially those witches who hold that the practice of witchcraft is half intellect and half intuition.

See- not all witches study herbalism, color correspondences, aroma therapy and the like just to be told that all the valid medical and psychological data that they've read isn't a part of their craft.

Believe me. I hold Headology as a form of Witchcraft in the highest esteem.  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:30 pm
Actually, I think Thorn Coyle is actually a good example of that, Tea. But like all people, sometimes she says things that aren't quite good.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:31 pm
TeaDidikai
Asahi Sara
Just as a heads up- I know it's insulting to a lot of witches. Especially those witches who hold that the practice of witchcraft is half intellect and half intuition.

See- not all witches study herbalism, color correspondences, aroma therapy and the like just to be told that all the valid medical and psychological data that they've read isn't a part of their craft.

Believe me. I hold Headology as a form of Witchcraft in the highest esteem.

Which is why it would be a personal sort of reference tool to see how I'm working with it. I wouldn't go as far trying to discern whether others are witches or magicians. I wouldn't even really need them myself really except in the sense that I might be thinking "am I working like the witch here, or the magician, and for this situation, which would I rather be working like." The goal is indeed to become half intuition and half intellect. Or all of one sometimes and all of the other at others. Do I make any sense?  

Adalyna

Adalyna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:32 pm
maenad nuri
Actually, I think Thorn Coyle is actually a good example of that, Tea. But like all people, sometimes she says things that aren't quite good.

the book itself is very helpful, I just find its best to take information I hear with a grain of salt 3nodding and asking questions never hurts... unless I'm being a nuisance of course.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:41 pm
maenad nuri
But like all people, sometimes she says things that aren't quite good.
What was the name of the Asatru writing Deo likes to mention?

Nice person, but everyone has a personal Valkyrie!? rofl

Asahi Sara
Which is why it would be a personal sort of reference tool to see how I'm working with it. I wouldn't go as far trying to discern whether others are witches or magicians. I wouldn't even really need them myself really except in the sense that I might be thinking "am I working like the witch here, or the magician, and for this situation, which would I rather be working like." The goal is indeed to become half intuition and half intellect. Or all of one sometimes and all of the other at others. Do I make any sense?
Your explanation makes sense. I just disagree with it a bit.

I think when you start tying to redefine what a witch is- you're setting yourself up an unstable situation. Instead of redefining witch and magician, cut the middle man and say "Am I working with more intuition or more reasoning? And for this situation, which should I be using more?"

Asahi Sara
and asking questions never hurts... unless I'm being a nuisance of course.
Never.  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:08 pm
TeaDidikai
maenad nuri

Gundarsson

On a note, I was trying to remember the name myself, so I did a google search with some specific terms. The site that came up? one of Deo's. The internet is tiny!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:07 pm
maenad nuri

Gundarsson

On a note, I was trying to remember the name myself, so I did a google search with some specific terms. The site that came up? one of Deo's. The internet is tiny!
Now and then I use that myself to track down key concepts that Cu has posted.  

TeaDidikai

Adalyna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:51 pm
TeaDidikai
Your explanation makes sense. I just disagree with it a bit.

I think when you start tying to redefine what a witch is- you're setting yourself up an unstable situation. Instead of redefining witch and magician, cut the middle man and say "Am I working with more intuition or more reasoning? And for this situation, which should I be using more?"

In hindsight it does seem kinda silly to need to separate that into terms like that sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:13 pm
TeaDidikai
maenad nuri

I was wondering if I was the only one to get that from one of his books that I bought recently gonk .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:45 pm
does anybody know if the etruscan pantheon is closed?

also, what are the differences between roman and greek gods and goddesses? i mean, not between the individual deities, but the pantheons as a whole. were ancient worship practices very different or similar?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:59 pm
I can answer the second part of your post, Toasty. The Greeks came first, and the Romans basically copied and pasted all the deities from their pantheon, but changed the names. Zeus became Juipeter, Hermes became Mercury, and Aphrodiete (sp?) became Venus.

That's about it...they took a lot of other beliefs from the Greeks too...learned that in history class. xd  

PrincessSaraQueen

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:34 pm
PrincessSaraQueen
I can answer the second part of your post, Toasty. The Greeks came first, and the Romans basically copied and pasted all the deities from their pantheon, but changed the names. Zeus became Juipeter, Hermes became Mercury, and Aphrodiete (sp?) became Venus.

That's about it...they took a lot of other beliefs from the Greeks too...learned that in history class. xd

Kindof. The Romans had their own pre-existing pantheon, and a different outlook on the gods and how you behaved with them. They didn't so much copy paste as merge and entangle. Sometimes very poorly (Ares and Mars, anyone?) others were far more direct.

From what I know, the Etruscan pantheon is open. However I have zero sources beyond wiki on it.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff