Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Otherkin Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:18 pm

TeaDidikai
Tsuzuki
Pardon the stupid question, but how do the faeries get past hospital security?

I'm sorry, but the skeptic in me can only see this as an ancient excuse to cover up bad parenting, similar to calling someone a "devil's child" or "bad seed".

It's an energy exchange, perhaps having to do with some mental shift that drops the core personality/soul in Yesode (or whatever you want to call it). A bizarre take on astral projection, perhaps?

What I suggest is that a soul is a soul. Being a human makes it a human soul. But being subjected to wyrd experiences alters the mind and soul in some subtle but fundamental ways.

It�s just an idea. It explains some things, puts others in context. I�m not holding it is divine truth, not even divinely inspired� just a curious thought that would explain strange things I see.

Note: It was a misnomer to call it a theory. Sloppy english from a tired girl who needs a cup of tea.
True. And such experiences are common among all cultures and religions. All cultures have their visionaries and prophets, in every field from philosophy to science and invention. But the initial experiences aren't limited to childhood. Someone could be persecuting Christians one day, get hit by a vision, and then immediately begin proclaiming the glory of a risen Lord. Is this similar to what you're talking about?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:20 pm

Sivirs
I actually ran into a native american healer-type (pleeease don't ask me details I'm not in touch with him anymore and have no idea what tribe or exact practice) who felt that the feeling of otherness was largely to do with the continuing disconnect we experience from nature with urban living and whatnot and attempts to create an artificial bond with something perceived as bigger-and-better in lieu of that, and his concern that children run away into their heads to hide from the world, so naturally when they're forced to come back down to earth (so to speak) they feel other, because they've spent so long trying to BECOME other that they forgot to learn to just exist here.

Not necessarily my views, just thought I'd throw that out there in light of the continuing changeling/psychology/otherkin lines of thought.
That makes al ot of sense, actually.

Tsuzuki

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:52 pm

Tsuzuki
True. And such experiences are common among all cultures and religions. All cultures have their visionaries and prophets, in every field from philosophy to science and invention. But the initial experiences aren't limited to childhood. Someone could be persecuting Christians one day, get hit by a vision, and then immediately begin proclaiming the glory of a risen Lord. Is this similar to what you're talking about?

I can see how that is similar. I'm talking about something a little more mystical than that. My assertion is that rather than being in the body when it happens, one's mind goes elsewhere and experiences whatever- then comes back when it is safe.

Think DID expanded. What if it is more subtle than the standard cases that are diagnosed?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:47 pm

TeaDidikai
I can see how that is similar. I'm talking about something a little more mystical than that. My assertion is that rather than being in the body when it happens, one's mind goes elsewhere and experiences whatever- then comes back when it is safe.

Think DID expanded. What if it is more subtle than the standard cases that are diagnosed?
Forgive me, but what's 'DID'?

I think we're talking about the same thing, just with varying degrees of otherworldliness. Sometimes you go to the spirit world, and sometimes the spirit world comes to you, so to speak. In any case, I still think it can happen at any age. And I tend to see most things as mystical, even things many would consider mundane, but that's just me.

Tsuzuki

Sivirs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:49 pm

Tsuzuki

Jumping in once again (classes have started, no energy for full posts, I'm going to forget the English language soon and get buried in asian languages)...

DID = Dissociative Identity Disorder. The new (and, I would assume, more accurate) name for MPD, Multiple Personality Disorder.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:10 pm

Sivirs
Tsuzuki

Jumping in once again (classes have started, no energy for full posts, I'm going to forget the English language soon and get buried in asian languages)...

DID = Dissociative Identity Disorder. The new (and, I would assume, more accurate) name for MPD, Multiple Personality Disorder.
Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Tsuzuki

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:32 am

Quote:
And as another budding psychologist, I think that you have some uniqueness issues that need sorting out. Human souls are already as unique and individual as male and female, if not more so. There is no need to add artificial distinctions that only serve to obscure the real ones. And ''other'' is just as much a buzz word as ''normal'', though they both have very important meanings in statistics, which is required learning in the psychological field, unless I am mistaken.

You''re right, I agree with you. I just take it a little past that. See, I believe that the world is made up of different sorts of beings, beings that simply are not humans. Humans are one type of organism in the world, and forgive me but I don''t think that the physical body is as crucial as the soul is. I''m a dualist... I believe that the mind and the body are two distinctly separate entities, and frankly, I believe that the physical shell is just that... a shell. Look at crabs, for a moment, or any animal with an exoskeleton or even external defense mechanisms like hide or barbs or poison. They have an outer shell that protects the crucial organs from damage. Maybe, and now this is just purely speculation (like most of what I believe in), the soul is simply not able to be completely functional in this world on it''s own. It needs something fleshy to protect it from the harsh, physical environment, just like a crab or even a porcupine needs it''s outer shell to protect it from predators.

Now, this is all off the cuff, so I haven''t really thought it all the way through and I''m sure it''s faulty like I myself am... but I personally believe that there''s at least some merit to it. It is because of this basic reasoning that I believe there are "otherkin". Sometimes s**t happens and the wrong soul is in the wrong body. Maybe otherkin is a bad word for it. Maybe a more correct term would be transpeciesism, and maybe one day scientists and doctors will come up with the specific part of the brain that causes this feeling of discomfort. But maybe not.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:53 pm

SlaineWildfire
Quote:
And as another budding psychologist, I think that you have some uniqueness issues that need sorting out. Human souls are already as unique and individual as male and female, if not more so. There is no need to add artificial distinctions that only serve to obscure the real ones. And ''other'' is just as much a buzz word as ''normal'', though they both have very important meanings in statistics, which is required learning in the psychological field, unless I am mistaken.

You''re right, I agree with you. I just take it a little past that. See, I believe that the world is made up of different sorts of beings, beings that simply are not humans. Humans are one type of organism in the world, and forgive me but I don''t think that the physical body is as crucial as the soul is. I''m a dualist... I believe that the mind and the body are two distinctly separate entities, and frankly, I believe that the physical shell is just that... a shell. Look at crabs, for a moment, or any animal with an exoskeleton or even external defense mechanisms like hide or barbs or poison. They have an outer shell that protects the crucial organs from damage. Maybe, and now this is just purely speculation (like most of what I believe in), the soul is simply not able to be completely functional in this world on it''s own. It needs something fleshy to protect it from the harsh, physical environment, just like a crab or even a porcupine needs it''s outer shell to protect it from predators.

Now, this is all off the cuff, so I haven''t really thought it all the way through and I''m sure it''s faulty like I myself am... but I personally believe that there''s at least some merit to it. It is because of this basic reasoning that I believe there are "otherkin". Sometimes s**t happens and the wrong soul is in the wrong body. Maybe otherkin is a bad word for it. Maybe a more correct term would be transpeciesism, and maybe one day scientists and doctors will come up with the specific part of the brain that causes this feeling of discomfort. But maybe not.
I've known exactly what you were talking about from the very beginning. I'm not an idiot. But what you're doing is trying to lump souls into artificial categories in the vain attempt to make yourself feel more "special" than everyone one else. It's unnecessary and unhealthy. Just enjoy the uniqueness that is yours, both body and soul, and let everyone else do the same. Furthermore, your soul is obviously compatible with your body, otherwise you would not be able to function.

Tsuzuki

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Tsuzuki
I've known exactly what you were talking about from the very beginning. I'm not an idiot. But what you're doing is trying to lump souls into artificial categories in the vain attempt to make yourself feel more "special" than everyone one else. It's unnecessary and unhealthy. Just enjoy the uniqueness that is yours, both body and soul, and let everyone else do the same. Furthermore, your soul is obviously compatible with your body, otherwise you would not be able to function.

I disagree. I'm not special, I don't want to be special, and I don't have any delusions that I am. I'm simply a girl who believes something that you don't. And yes, it may be "compatible" but that doesn't mean it's a perfect match. *shrugs* I'm obviously not going to change your mind, so think what you will.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:37 pm

You give up too easily. I am more than willing to consider your ideas, and have done so. All I am arguing for is a more inclusive definition of humanity, you know, one that we can all share. This seems to flying past you.

Tsuzuki

Soriana Leo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:08 pm

Otherkin, it sounds really cool and yet odd. I've felt myself different from others, not belonging to an clitche' persay. I've always felt like the middle man, the one who gets dicredited, or ignored for no good reason. In school I was ignored until I said somthing smart or something stupid. I don't know about Otherkin, but I do belive I have spirirt animal guides: White Wolf, Black Hawk, Panther, Racoon, and yes the mythical creature you said Dragon.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:33 pm

Tsuzuki
You give up too easily. I am more than willing to consider your ideas, and have done so. All I am arguing for is a more inclusive definition of humanity, you know, one that we can all share. This seems to flying past you.
No, I just don't see the point. I could call us all "Ted" but that wouldn't be useful either.

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:12 pm

Or maybe just call you human?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:12 pm

SlaineWildfire
Tsuzuki
No, I just don't see the point. I could call us all "Ted" but that wouldn't be useful either.
Not seeing the point means that it's flying past you.

Do you know what it means to "dehumanize" someone? Is that something that you would like done to you?

Tsuzuki

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:19 pm

I have a question, and I don't know if it was covered earlier because I just couldn't make it through nine pages. I made it through four. I apologize if it was.

I'm in a furry guild, as you can see from my signature. I don't have a fursona and I'm not a fur/Furry Lifestyler, and I've only been in the guild a month and that basically sums up my entire experience of furrydom. I was given to understand in that guild that furries were people who liked anthropomorphic art, furs were people who believed they really were their fursona or the animal they chose as their fursona, Therians were people who believed they had an animal soul and a human soul, and Otherkin were people who believed they had the soul of a mythical animal or that they were a wereanimal.

From the first couple of pages of this thread, it seems that that's not exactly right. Are the furs I know really Otherkin and just don't know it? Or do "true" Otherkin think furs are poseurs?

Thanks. 3nodding
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces