Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Music - Related Topics
An Introduction to Goth music and subculture Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ametrin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:53 am
I think you should add there also ethereal/ambient + neo classical bands [like Ataraxia, Dark Sanctuary, Dead Can Dance etc.]
Not sure if this subgenre actually belongs under darkwave, but even if it does I think it's distinctive enough to deserve being mentioned on its own. After all darkwave is a huge category and bands included in it are so different [example: L'Ame Imortelle, Love Is Colder Than Death, Lacrimosa - totally different styles, yet I see all of them labelled as darkwave.]  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:57 pm
I have a question, would Ardor be considered Darkwave?

Edit: nevermind, no, no they are not. Actually now, I can't really see how I even thought that. confused  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Ms Dahl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:49 pm
Since this thread is for baby bats I want to add some advice. Please, please do what you like. This may seem obvious but it is not for some. Don't become overly concerned with filling the subculture's "requirements". Just be you. Do what you like. Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to be who you are. Even if it means wearing crow makeup and baggy Tripp NYC pants. If you are being sincere then go ahead.

However, I would suggest checking out some of the bands listed on the first page because, frankly, they're really good. And, you'll be missing out on a whole crop of great music. Also don't pretend to like bands you really don't. It's okay, really. I've met Goths who detest Bauhaus. And, they're just as Goth as the next person in the subculture.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:48 am
Ms Dahl

Also don't pretend to like bands you really don't. It's okay, really. I've met Goths who detest Bauhaus. And, they're just as Goth as the next person in the subculture.

That's nice to know, because in truth, I HATE The Cure, Bauhaus, Rasputina, and Sioxsie. It would always seem like experienced Goths ADORE those bands and I always wondered what it would be like if I told them I couldn't care less about them. Depeche Mode is good though- in my opinion.

Also, out of all those bands you listed as...Dark Cabaret, I think, can I get a list of the ones that use mostly (or only) piano? Like the ones EXTREMELY similar to Dresden Dolls. I love them smile  

bonitachocolat

SADERR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:48 pm
On the topic of Cradle of Filth..
No way in hell are they goth -- at all.
However, you must take into accord that they are, to an extent, black metal. While not goth, they do have a goth feel to them.

And to all of gthose goths who don't like actual goth music: perfectly fine!
A good friend of mine is goth and she listens to purely techno, industrial, and..well..anything else made by machines. xP
As long as you accept their importance to the goth community, you have no resposibility to actually like them. There's quite a few songs by Siouxsie that I don't care for, in example. Feel free to hate all goth music, aslong as you don't hate on it.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:31 pm
Um...I have a question do you have to like goth music to be goth?(ducks behind table)just asking  

Teachidoll

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:56 pm
Teachidoll
Um...I have a question do you have to like goth music to be goth?(ducks behind table)just asking
Well, it's a subculture based almost completely on goth music.
You connect the dots.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:25 am
Infection XIII
Teachidoll
You connect the dots.

There are so many aspects to the goth subculture, that is a very close minded thing to say, my friend. Yes, music is a big part of it, but I know plenty of non-goths who like more "goth" music than me and my other black clad friends do: the music does not make the goth, nor does it destroy it. Let's see, there is also art, fashion, literature, media, and so forth. I would suggest listening and trying out atleast a few "goth" songs and bands, maybe for techno Razed in Black? Or try listening to Lullaby and Just Like Heaven by the Cure? Maybe Marian by Sisters of Mercy? But plenty of goths love non-goth music. I recently just saw Heart in concert myself, for example, and I adore bands like Demon Hunter, Savior Machine (although S.M. is a gothic christian band from the 90s), Joy Electric is really good, and performers like Alice Cooper.  

Angel of the End

Death of Cool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:07 pm
Angel of the End
Infection XIII
Teachidoll
You connect the dots.

There are so many aspects to the goth subculture, that is a very close minded thing to say, my friend. Yes, music is a big part of it, but I know plenty of non-goths who like more "goth" music than me and my other black clad friends do: the music does not make the goth, nor does it destroy it. Let's see, there is also art, fashion, literature, media, and so forth. I would suggest listening and trying out atleast a few "goth" songs and bands, maybe for techno Razed in Black? Or try listening to Lullaby and Just Like Heaven by the Cure? Maybe Marian by Sisters of Mercy? But plenty of goths love non-goth music. I recently just saw Heart in concert myself, for example, and I adore bands like Demon Hunter, Savior Machine (although S.M. is a gothic christian band from the 90s), Joy Electric is really good, and performers like Alice Cooper.

The culture wouldn't exist at all if it wasn't for the music. Anything else is extraneous. The music most certainly IS what makes one goth.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:41 pm
Death of Cool
Angel of the End
Infection XIII
Teachidoll
You connect the dots.

The culture wouldn't exist at all if it wasn't for the music. Anything else is extraneous. The music most certainly IS what makes one goth.

Damn you for saying what I was going to say before I had a chance to log on.

And damn me for being preoccupied with MUA2.
ninja

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

Whisper Gently

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:53 pm
Thank you!
This was badly needed in this guild. :3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:21 pm
Death of Cool
Angel of the End
Infection XIII
Teachidoll
You connect the dots.

Isn't it intresting just how much everything revolves around music, even how you may define yourself as a person. Mhmmmm By the way I like Demon hunter...  

Whisper Gently

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:37 pm
No one said you couldn't like non-goth music.
Most goths I've met are fans of David Bowie, Joy Division, and Einsturzende Neubauten; none of which are goth bands.
Hell, you can listen to the most bubblegum poppiest s**t out there and still be a goth.

What we're saying is, yes, liking goth music is considered a requirement because music is what the goth subculture is ALL about.

It's not about attitude, it's not about "art", it's not about shitty poetry, it's not about literature(though there are many references in goth music), it's not about Tim Burton movies, etc.; It's about GOTH music.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:07 am
Death of Cool
Angel of the End
Infection XIII
Teachidoll
You connect the dots.

Well now, if it does not work vice-versa, I would have to say that is only half way true. Art is not the canvas on which it started by itself.  

Angel of the End

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:13 am
Infection XIII
No one said you couldn't like non-goth music.
Most goths I've met are fans of David Bowie, Joy Division, and Einsturzende Neubauten; none of which are goth bands.
Hell, you can listen to the most bubblegum poppiest s**t out there and still be a goth.

What we're saying is, yes, liking goth music is considered a requirement because music is what the goth subculture is ALL about.

It's not about attitude, it's not about "art", it's not about shitty poetry, it's not about literature(though there are many references in goth music), it's not about Tim Burton movies, etc.; It's about GOTH music.

You are very limiting in the term of "art", as anything and everything can be art... and as for poetry, from my understanding, most goths have long grown out of that since due to the emo burst of a few years back and being confused with such. Also, then... what is your definition of "goth" music? Most the bands we consider goth actually claimed not to be, however that is where some, if not alot, of our base is. Some people do not consider more visual Japanese bands, like Blood or Malice Mizer, to be goth. I personally consider them to be very much so. Goth vaires alot, from some techno groups, to metal, to just about everything (save for country, rap, and such... -shudders at the thought- but if someone wanted to, they very well could... I suppose....). As for Tim Burton, doesn't everyone love him? It's odd to find someone, anyone, who does not... not a good point some people make in defining things. However, thank you for pointing out someone does not have to be a cookie-cut conformist in order to be a goth.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff