Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
The topic which rapidly degenerated... [MISC] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 103 104 105 106 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:03 am
Erix Griffon
Bah, I joined the guild too late...

My birthday was 6 days ago, on the 14th of Feb.

The date shall be added to the list. And not too late, not necessarily wink  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:04 pm
stringedmessenger
Come on now... the English cannot pronounce "Puntiagudo" but they could say "pointy"...

And on the subject of "the English cannot pronounce anything foreign..." during the conflict with Spain, many English soldiers encountered bars with the name "Casa del toros" (House of the bull) but when they came home and opened pubs with "the same name" they were called "The case is altered"... I could go on..but I will not ! biggrin

Or especially for "Longbow".... "ad hastas ad saggitis necabamus longbow" (latin, future imperfect tense !)

Only joking.... wink

haha! tenses kill me in spanish class.

i have to find a british person to hear them try and speak spanish. i want to know what it would sound like.  

MellowYetPsycho

stringedmessenger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:17 am
MellowYetPsycho
stringedmessenger
Come on now... the English cannot pronounce "Puntiagudo" but they could say "pointy"...

And on the subject of "the English cannot pronounce anything foreign..." during the conflict with Spain, many English soldiers encountered bars with the name "Casa del toros" (House of the bull) but when they came home and opened pubs with "the same name" they were called "The case is altered"... I could go on..but I will not ! biggrin

Or especially for "Longbow".... "ad hastas ad saggitis necabamus longbow" (latin, future imperfect tense !)

Only joking.... wink

haha! tenses kill me in spanish class.

I have to find a british person to hear them try and speak spanish. i want to know what it would sound like.

In general the british do not speak spanish from my encounters abroad, they tend to shout louder and louder in .... english.

I have seen this in a bar in spain run by a friend of mine (who happens to speak 6 languages !) the english "tourista" wanted a glass of coke and marco kept going to the freezer and pulling out lollies of various shapes and sizes ! you had to be there it was hilarious.

As to british people and the accent, there is no problem as I was mistaken for someone from barcelona after a conversation with a spanish air stewardess. It is whether you like "gutteral" languages or not , spanish/dutch/german no problem... french however..don't go there !  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:47 pm
haha! that story cracks me up. is it lolly or lolli? i say lollipop but most people here say 'sucker.' that's such a horrid word.

i think americans tend to have trouble speaking spanish, or maybe my class is just stupid, because i can speak what i know fine. mi profesor es de Puerto Rico, y ella esta muy interesante. i think it's weird that para means for AND stop.  

MellowYetPsycho

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:20 pm
The Italian word for "butter" is "burro", which also happens to be the Spanish word for "donkey".

Just thought you might all like to know.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:27 am
The sixth of November.  

cant_delete_accounts

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:14 pm
tombrend
The sixth of November.

Done  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:01 pm
Ladies and gentlemen of the GBG, I have an announcement!

Our aid is required to help an ailing colonial, I'm afraid that my knowledge is not great enough to provide the required aid. I hope that I might be able to turn to the Guild and find some people who are able to help.

The following is a telegram I recieved today:

dragonssoul84
hi i know this is random but i saw that you were part of the british guild and I need to find a british bakery that sells cream buns that i could purchase online. I'm from the states and I want to buy some for my bf who is british

Anyone able to offer advice?

Regards,

Invictus

Invictus_88
Captain

MellowYetPsycho

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:07 pm
Cameron's ?

Britstore ?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:54 am
I've sent her a link to this page, I can't find any of the cakes on those pages though. Gah, maybe she wants to change her choice of cake.

Hmm..

Invictus_88
Captain

dragonssoul84

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:13 am
i definately need cream buns is there any one with an idea i mean really this is such a pain.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:38 am
Would you be able to get him to describe what sort of cream bun? There are quite a few sorts, just google for images. There's quite a variety..  

Invictus_88
Captain

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:53 am
Where are these cream buns actually going to be headed? In other words, how far do they need to travel? I know Fortnum's can arrange for things like that to be sent but...um...~coughs delicately~ Well, they can be a little bit pricey...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:04 pm
Quote:
I've sent her a link to this page, I can't find any of the cakes on those pages though. Gah, maybe she wants to change her choice of cake.

yeah, they sell jaffa cakes on one of those...which ive never had the pleasure of trying.

what about getting a..recipe for cream buns?  

MellowYetPsycho

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:57 am
Was this birthdays? Mine's Boxing Day.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 103 104 105 106 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items