Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Film Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:35 pm
I'm annoyed that RS classes in school put such an emphasis on the issue of Rascism (which is practically dead in this country), and virtually none on homophobia, which is still very much alive. Gay marriage being illegal is no better than if marriage between Asians was banned. Besides, I'm sure over half the population still "think" homophobic. Every day I hear "gay" used as an insult. It really irks me that in most people's minds homophobia is less bad than rascism. Gays are no more different than Blacks and Asians, but people seem to think they are. I think that indicates something deeply wrong with our society.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:11 am
dreaming_mouse
Fourcolour
dreaming_mouse
Well I've always seen films like that about a multiple issues not just one single issue. They may not actually do anything about it but they bring awareness to something even if it's only briefly.

Racism in the 70s isn't much of an insight though.

It's not much of an insight nowadays though, it still brings awareness though and it has changed throughout the years. It just highlights how things have changed, if anything and how etc.

Well, not really. It was used as another obstacle that the family found different routes around, thereby highlighting the fact that it is about conflict in the family  

and_solo_said

girl_no_13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:10 am
whapcapn
I'm annoyed that RS classes in school put such an emphasis on the issue of Rascism (which is practically dead in this country), and virtually none on homophobia, which is still very much alive. Gay marriage being illegal is no better than if marriage between Asians was banned. Besides, I'm sure over half the population still "think" homophobic. Every day I hear "gay" used as an insult. It really irks me that in most people's minds homophobia is less bad than rascism. Gays are no more different than Blacks and Asians, but people seem to think they are. I think that indicates something deeply wrong with our society.

Hurrah!
I suppose i should relate this to films so watch Velvet Goldmine or Beautiful Thing, both British, both deal with homosexual relationships, among other stuff. God bless Film4  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:15 am
whapcapn

My respect for you just moved up another notch.

I'm one of those who tries to have an equal stance, but it is an effort when it shouldn't have to be. I do try to overcome my gut opposition to it though, which is more than many.

Invictus_88
Captain

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:31 am
whapcapn
Racism (which is practically dead in this country)

rolleyes It's getting better but it's still a huge problem. In the smaller towns and villages it's still very real.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:43 pm
Where you live really does count, for example Sussex is very white, I went to primary with a Italian kid, a Philpino kid, and that was it apart from white people. At collage and school, anf just around it is pretty much the same, I dont know how people are supposed to be tolerant if they only see other races on tv.  

girl_no_13

girl_no_13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:44 pm
redface Double post, sorry  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:17 pm
I think racism has changed a bit from what it used to be. People have got used to different coloured skins but they are now racist to gypsies and stuff like that.

I think its a bigger thing with little children. They arent racist to coloured people because they know not to because they are told not to. But for example my primary school was racist against the english.
It was a the sort of village that you cant be considered a local until you are at least 2nd generation. Only a proper local once its 3rd generation. (Bunch of inbreds) There wasnt a single child who moved there who was freinds with any of the "locals", we had two seperate groups. It was pretty stupid.

There is only one coloured person in my year. (150 people) Theres quite a lot of people who look spanish but that is because one of the Spanish Armanda's (sp?) ships crashed and the sailors got friendly with the locals.

Im sorry for the awfulness how how I worded that.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:44 pm
Invictus_88
whapcapn

I'm one of those who tries to have an equal stance, but it is an effort when it shouldn't have to be. I do try to overcome my gut opposition to it though, which is more than many.

Psh. I always used to get called 'gay' as an insult. So yes. I support Julian's view.
And Francis, it is a sign of a decent person to try and overcome something that is naturally set against something such as that. I personally have no qualms about the whole notion, however I could see how it could offend people. I think it must be how we are raised from birth, not being taught the different aspects of society's minorities.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:52 am
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
whapcapn

Psh. I always used to get called 'gay' as an insult. So yes. I support Julian's view.
And Francis, it is a sign of a decent person to try and overcome something that is naturally set against something such as that. I personally have no qualms about the whole notion, however I could see how it could offend people. I think it must be how we are raised from birth, not being taught the different aspects of society's minorities.

Well, I have nothing against gay people, but I will take offense if someone call me gay, just as I would take offense if someone called me asian. Not because I have anything against those people, but I consider such people to be an insult to the human race in general  

and_solo_said

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:03 am
Fourcolour
whapcapn
Racism (which is practically dead in this country)

rolleyes It's getting better but it's still a huge problem. In the smaller towns and villages it's still very real.

I guess living in Oxford I might get a slightly skewed view of everything, particularly in he area I live. There is a LOT of ethnic diversity, and rascism is virtually nonexistent.

I still maintain that homophobia is bigger problem though. A lot of people seem to take the attitude that it's not as obviously bad as rascism, when it's in fact equally so. I also don't understand why we hardly hear anything about gay marriage in the UK, when there's such a fuss about it in America. People just don't seem to think it's not being legal is as scandalous as it would be if Asians weren't allowed to marry, for example. (Um, gay marriage is still legally invalid in this country, isn't it? I feel silly if it isn't...)

I've decided to use "straight" as an offensive term now, I'm so sick of gay being used that way.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:50 am
Just realised that I said nothing new in that post at all. I didn't bother to check what I said before.
Oh well. eek  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:00 am
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
whapcapn

Yes, I do completely understand the problems a lot of people have finding it totally *normal*. But then, I think really everyone has prejudice in them. I know that I can't help feeling slightly prejudiced against Blacks and Asians, simply because they're different from me. God knows I would never speak or act on that, though, and my preconceptions are always replaced and nullified easily in individual cases. I think that people are naturally very disposed to make superficial judgements based on very little, but as long as people keep it to themselves and don't let those first judgements impair subsequent better-informed ones, it's hardly a problem.
With me it's a different story judging people on their sexuality, being in an advanced state of confusion as to my own currently. Anyway, I won't personalise the issue further.
Sorry about the three consecutive posts, by the way.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:49 am
I loved the Michael Radford addaption of George Orwell's "1984" (filmed apropriatly in 1984).

I just loved this film. It brought accross the book so well. John Hurt is an amazing actor. I've heard the 1955 version of 'Animal Farm' is good, anybody seen it?

I know I'm breaking the current theme in these last pages but I just thought I'd get back to subject.  

alicelights

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:37 pm
Anyone seen Tim Burton's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" yet?  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff