Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Painting Advice/Show-off thread. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SamuraiMujuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:01 am
I dunno if this has been covered already, but I've got a few pointers that at least make things a lot easier for me.
First, I like to paint everything before assembling, that way I can make sure to get all the details painted and not miss spots.
Second, with sprue based figs like Necron Warriors and stuff it can be a lot easier to primer them by using a spray primer of your chosen color and painting the entire sprue that color.
That way, no spots are missed except for the miniscule points where the peice is connected to the sprue, and that's easily covered with a little extra paint.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:58 pm
I have never tried painting before assembly yet..... Hell. I amy try that. I do suggest for human figures and figures with color gradient though.. use lots of layering. Dark to light. It turns out great usually.
Sometimes you want to add light highlights though, so doing light below then really dark may be the case, but hey. Layering is awsome.
I have never seen anyone who doesn't use at least a little layering though, cuase it is just.. key for nice detail in my opinion.  

Andreis

Andreis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:03 pm
wash_away
beacuse there are never enough photo's in here.

User Image

User Image

User Image

I just converted this guy, what do you think?

With a general lack of 40k knowledge, I must say that I don't know what he is specifically, but I can say that he looks very nice indeed!
Thumbs up
I would add pictures rather than links for my dragon, but I can't edit the large pictures right now.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:47 pm
I need some advice...

When I strip paint from metal mini's I usually soak em in pine-sol and it disolves the paint and i can easily scrub it off with an old toothbrush, but I got a partially painted wartrukk, and I wanna strip it, but its plastic... Ive kinda "melted" plastic mini's in the past in pine-sol, I was wondering what I can strip with that is "plastic safe?"  

PlagueZombie

Andreis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:58 pm
By principle..no. Unless you some how manage to finde a non-acrylic disolving solvent.
Pine-sol has a chemicle in it obviously that dissolves acrylics after dry.. Well acrylic is in essance a plastic and that plastic is SOFT, so it is inevitably going to melt in any acrylic solving liquid.
-sigh-
You could always try other means like a X-acto knife and an a** load of time on your hands! Or if the paint isn't to thick, just reprime it in a thin layer.

SO YEA!
That's my opinion.
Never touch plastic to paint thinner for very long.. WILL DISSOLVE.

LOL!
(Bad gundam model experience)  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:01 pm
Well since I have no idea what "pine sol" is. I can't tell you what the active ingredient is. But I have stripped plastic carefully with Methylated Spirits before. Which is basically just Ethanol.

The trick is to not use much, just enough to cause the paint to lift. Then youb can rub it off.  

Dark-oneechan

Gracious Grabber

wash_away

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:22 am
Andreis
wash_away
beacuse there are never enough photo's in here.

User Image

User Image

User Image

I just converted this guy, what do you think?

With a general lack of 40k knowledge, I must say that I don't know what he is specifically, but I can say that he looks very nice indeed!
Thumbs up
I would add pictures rather than links for my dragon, but I can't edit the large pictures right now.
thank's, I hope he just does as well as he's painted in battle. before I painted him he stood up to an entire full squad of nid's by himself with his bionic's, man was that guy pissed rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:59 pm
Dark-oneechan
Well since I have no idea what "pine sol" is. I can't tell you what the active ingredient is.

*shrug* its a floor cleaner, you mix it with water and mop the floors... I never looked at the ingredents.  

PlagueZombie

Andreis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:08 pm
Ethynol(not possitive how spelled) sounds good. It is similar in properties to all of it. So yea, I guess you could use anything in small amounts, but considering rubbing alchohol if that is what you are using has only 20% alchohol in it, it makes a good watered down one I suppose. Will have to play around with that, I need to strip my spearmen.. they are horrendously painted.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:55 am
Ok, I recently decided to do a Chaos Army. Tau wasn't working out too well and I wanted a little more staying power than my other choices (Imp G and Tyranids). But I detest Space Marines. Then it hits me... who else HATES the imperium? Voila. Chaos.

I'm attributing most of my army to my patron, Slaanesh - and to lead off the collecting... I decided to do my Warlord, with as much conversion as possible.

I'll have pictures up tomorrow, probobly. It's over at a friend's house right now, but heres what I've done so far.

Took the body of a normal Chaos lord, (40k) http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060102068&orignav=10

I hate that head, so I left it off. The same with the gun-arm. I wanted something a bit more... personal.

For the head I didn't want flesh and blood. I needed a helmet. I considered the Mounted Slaaneshi Champion (Fantasy) and the Undivided champion (fantasy) but both proved to be too small. Then, it came to me. Slaanesh = Hedonism = Ancient Rome = Laurels. So I lopped off the head of an Emperor's Champion and affixed it in a, in my opinion, sutably dramatic pose atop his shoulders.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060101236&orignav=10

I kept the right arm, holding the space marine head, for no other reason than I HATE them. *laughs* But, the other arm needed to be re-made. I settled on taking an armored glove from another that was angled and shaped right for the next project.

I decided to take the sword from a warmachine mini by the name of "Goreshade the b*****d". Neat, huh?
http://privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/miniature_pages/goreshade.html

Painted it all, and soaked the appropriate parts in red ink. Next came FURTHER personalization. I took the girl-model from the Goreshade box, painted her up to be a nearly-naked pleasure slave and took to the idea of having her chained to my lord... sortuva symbol to those that stand before chaos, as an omen of their fate....

All I have to do is... figure out how to chain her to him. AdmiralSnackbar suggests Greenstuff, but I've never worked with it before and I wouldn't know even WHERE to begin. This, after all, my very first conversion.  

KchulaRrit

wash_away

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:58 pm
I just got my new dreadnought and I don't have much of an idea of how to paint it. I want to do some metal paint torn away and dirt spot's but I tried and it looked terrible. I can do the details (cords cogs skulls etc') but I cant do some of the bigger highlighting and dirt effects any help?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:11 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/SilusCrow/Models.jpg
My insanely lucky Kill Team. The camera did their pain job no justice at all....  

Silvia Crow

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100

wash_away

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:21 pm
SilusCrow
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/SilusCrow/Models.jpg
My insanely lucky Kill Team. The camera did their pain job no justice at all....

I'd try to bring out the armor more, try to highlight the black armor more. Also try to do this sort of thing on your armor it will look much nicer.

tau painting.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:30 pm
Well, what I did with the armor was point the highlights with Red Gore and everything else with Bleached Bone, then gave everything a flesh wash to give it a desert camo look. If I could, I'd take pics of all the tiny details (A cut on one tau's arm with blue blood, a fixed gash on one's leg, random bits of salvaged equptment, etc.)  

Silvia Crow

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100

wash_away

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:57 pm
User Image

User Image

these are the main points I did on my dreadnought, it's not done yet but it's getting there 3nodding

Quote:

try to keep the black lines there, it add's a lot more depth to the model and since you are imitateing depth to begin with it's always a nice help.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff