Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

[OFF-TOPIC] Post here, earn gold!!!!! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:44 am
Priestley
freelance lover
Priestley
Lazarus The Resurected
Priestley
I'm no longer Christian.

congrats.

Thanks. It was really more a case of fooling myself into thinking I was and doing what was expected of me.

It's just a label to me now.

I understand what you mean. I'm basically Christian in the sense that I believe in Jesus and God. Everything else is subject to debate for me. Sometimes I think not attending church while I was in college was good for me.

Ah. I am very much of the school that Jesus never existed in the first place. I suppose that's dodging the isssue of whether I think Jesus told the truth, whether he was lying or whether he was crazy, but... eh. sweatdrop

Really now? That's interesting. I've actually never heard anyone say they never believed Jesus existed in the first place. Most people just insist he was crazy or something.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:21 pm
freelance lover
zz1000zz
freelance lover
zz1000zz
freelance lover
We got a massive snow storm down here in Oklahoma. I've been snowed in since Thursday. Anyone else get hit with snow?

Seeing as I live in Oklahoma, yeah, I got hit. To be honest though, this weather is not that bad. There was one day where the roads here were somewhat iffy, but otherwise I haven't had any problems. I'm not sure if other parts of Oklahoma were hit worse, especially the less urban ones (there are a few benefits to living in Tulsa).

Odd note. The day the weather first hit was the same day a bunch of Tulsa police officers lost their jobs.

zz, I always forget you're so close to me. I'm going to be in Tulsa in March for a Flogging Molly concert too!

Just where is it you live anyway? I know we talked about how close we are to each other, but I really don't remember.

Oklahoma City. I've lived here about three years now for college. I'll probably be moving to Florida come May '11. This past weeks weather is making me reeeeeaaally look forward to Florida.

I could never live in Florida. It is way too sunny.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Lord Maxdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:24 pm
freelance lover
Priestley
freelance lover
Priestley
Lazarus The Resurected
Priestley
I'm no longer Christian.

congrats.

Thanks. It was really more a case of fooling myself into thinking I was and doing what was expected of me.

It's just a label to me now.

I understand what you mean. I'm basically Christian in the sense that I believe in Jesus and God. Everything else is subject to debate for me. Sometimes I think not attending church while I was in college was good for me.

Ah. I am very much of the school that Jesus never existed in the first place. I suppose that's dodging the isssue of whether I think Jesus told the truth, whether he was lying or whether he was crazy, but... eh. sweatdrop

Really now? That's interesting. I've actually never heard anyone say they never believed Jesus existed in the first place. Most people just insist he was crazy or something.

I also believe he didn't exist. Though, as I said it is what I believe or think, I don't say he couldn't have existed, instead I just feel he didn't. Other characters such as the Buddha I believe did live, Jesus is just one I do not consider as once living.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:11 pm
freelance lover
I've actually never heard anyone say they never believed Jesus existed in the first place. Most people just insist he was crazy or something.

The reason I say that is because I know it's human nature to take something, in this case a story, and make use of it for profitable purposes. If it's one of the human species' characteristics, it's the use of tools. A story like Jesus' that builds upon an existing culture but seperates from it is a good tool to garner a following of people and establish a new religion. Whether or not Jesus actually existed doesn't really matter if you can convince people to believe the story. It's no different to someone picking up Harry Potter or Star Wars and creating a religion out of it. So long as someone is there to believe in it, it has served its purpose.

We only have to look at various forms of media to realize their use to teach, preach, inform and inspire.

Eh, anyway, this is supposed to be off-topic. xd

Priestley

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:00 am
Priestley
freelance lover
I've actually never heard anyone say they never believed Jesus existed in the first place. Most people just insist he was crazy or something.

The reason I say that is because I know it's human nature to take something, in this case a story, and make use of it for profitable purposes. If it's one of the human species' characteristics, it's the use of tools. A story like Jesus' that builds upon an existing culture but seperates from it is a good tool to garner a following of people and establish a new religion. Whether or not Jesus actually existed doesn't really matter if you can convince people to believe the story. It's no different to someone picking up Harry Potter or Star Wars and creating a religion out of it. So long as someone is there to believe in it, it has served its purpose.

We only have to look at various forms of media to realize their use to teach, preach, inform and inspire.

Fair enough.

Did you know about 2% of the Australian population is officially listed as "Jedi?" Apparently during the census so many people wrote "Jedi" for religious preference it actually totaled up. I love crap like that.

And I agree with what you said about human nature. Case and point: scientology.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:51 am
freelance lover
Priestley
freelance lover

Did you know about 2% of the Australian population is officially listed as "Jedi?" Apparently during the census so many people wrote "Jedi" for religious preference it actually totaled up. I love crap like that.

I've certainly heard of the phenomenon. xd

freelance lover
And I agree with what you said about human nature. Case and point: scientology.

Right. 3nodding

But, in all seriousness, said religions can be used to inflict acts of great suffering and injustice on individuals. People should (and can in most places) be able to believe what they want so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of other people not to believe it.

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:34 pm
I've decided the Politics subforum of Extended Discussion is insane.

Because stupidity could not explain it.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:54 am
Took a peek in there as well as the general ED forum. While I've seen some humour, it does nothing to redeem the sheer amount of ego masturbation that goes on there.  

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:26 am
Priestley
Took a peek in there as well as the general ED forum. While I've seen some humour, it does nothing to redeem the sheer amount of ego masturbation that goes on there.

I am starting to become a resident troll of the Politics subforum. Granted, I am trolling by being correct when the popular position is wrong.

And idiotic.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:44 am
hiiiiiiii  

Zolof Keeper Of Souls

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 am
Hello.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:05 am
zz1000zz
Priestley

I am starting to beco
me a resident troll of the Politics subforum. Granted, I am trolling by being correct when the popular position is wrong.

And idiotic.

Bahaha! So you're a good troll- I can be down with that.  

freelance lover
Crew

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:32 pm
freelance lover
zz1000zz
Priestley

I am starting to beco
me a resident troll of the Politics subforum. Granted, I am trolling by being correct when the popular position is wrong.

And idiotic.

I'm not sure if it counts as being a troll, but I'm fine with it.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:51 am
zz1000zz
freelance lover
zz1000zz
Priestley

I am starting to beco

And idiotic.

I'm not sure if it counts as being a troll, but I'm fine with it.

Cutting up specious arguments is the most beneficial kind of trolling.

The best kind of trolling, however, is making intentionally false statements and deliberate mistakes in order to lure people into devoting time and energy into correcting them.

Priestley

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:25 am
Jangle jangle goes my pocket.  

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out