Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Music Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

loIitoads

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:27 pm
Boolean Julian
Pokegirl Princess Lolicat
I did mean she represents it in the same way you guys do... I just happen to revel in modern culture... It's amazing! But yea, I'm aware that there are a great many problems with it... I just feel too enamoured of the world to really care.

And yea, we weren't always musically stunted if you look at the Beatles, etc, but it's been a long time since we've had a really, truly great band with staying power. (Whoops, talk about loving disposable culture, then talk about staying power, haha!)

Erm. Radiohead? Probably the greatest and most innovative band in the world today?

I'd hardly grace Radiohead with that title... Greatest is pure opinion, but the most innovative? I think both you and I know that that is not true at all?

'Musically stunted' might have been a little extreme, so lay off razz  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:01 pm
Boolean Julian
I did mean she represents it in the same way you guys do... I just happen to revel in modern culture... It's amazing! But yea, I'm aware that there are a great many problems with it... I just feel too enamoured of the world to really care.

And yea, we weren't always musically stunted if you look at the Beatles, etc, but it's been a long time since we've had a really, truly great band with staying power. (Whoops, talk about loving disposable culture, then talk about staying power, haha!)

Erm. Radiohead? Probably the greatest and most innovative band in the world today?

I'd hardly grace Radiohead with that title... Greatest is pure opinion, but the most innovative? I think both you and I know that that is not true at all?

Name any more innovative contemporary artist.

(Within the restrictions of "popular" music, of course. Comparing them with the likes of Michael Berkeley is hardly fair.)  

Boolean Julian
Crew

loIitoads

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:40 pm
Boolean Julian
Boolean Julian

Name any more innovative contemporary artist.

(Within the restrictions of "popular" music, of course. Comparing them with the likes of Michael Berkeley is hardly fair.)

Bjork...? There was no they had to be British stipulation...

Edit: A great British artist (possibly the best...) JULIAN COPE.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:03 pm
I say this as a big fan of Björk.

She's hit and miss.

Radiohead have been consistently been producing music that is both innovative and listenable.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

loIitoads

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:08 pm
Foetus In Fetu

She's hit and miss.

Radiohead have been consistently been producing music that is both innovative and listenable.

Opinions, really... Radiohead have never been my favourite band, anyway, so I'm biased. (Ie; I only enjoyed their first single and that's it).  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:32 pm
Foetus In Fetu

She's hit and miss.

Opinions, really... Radiohead have never been my favourite band, anyway, so I'm biased. (Ie; I only enjoyed their first single and that's it).

Innovation isn't subjective, and I believe that's the claim we're discussing.

I agree that Björk is also great, but as Mary said she's not so consistent. I think some of her music is a bit of a case of the emperor's new clothes.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:38 pm

I only enjoyed their first single and that's it

I agree actually. The rest of their music's just really whiny.

...right?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:46 am
Boolean Julian

I only enjoyed their first single and that's it

I agree actually. The rest of their music's just really whiny.

...right?

No, the rest of their music's just really over-rated by people where I live, so it grates on me razz

And I think you could make a claim that Bjork is consistently innovative, just perhaps not consistently great.  

loIitoads

xXx White Lily xXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:38 am
Radiohead have been spoiled for me by the fact that someone I hate absolutely bums them rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:08 am
This is British music

Aware, informed, and still irreverant, Julian Cope really brings a national identity to his music, but retains his own at the same time. He's essentially a portrait of the old British eccentric.  

loIitoads

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:15 am

He's essentially a portrait of the old British eccentric.

Antiquarian rockstar? Yes, I'd say so!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:13 am
Invictus_88

He's essentially a portrait of the old British eccentric.

Antiquarian rockstar? Yes, I'd say so!

I can't find a copy of his books, but I think they're scheduled for a reprint.  

loIitoads

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:30 am
Someone did Radiohead in an open mike last night.

Open mikes are great. Dunno if they can be called British by any shot, but it's a good import.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:47 am
Shadow of an Illusion

Open mikes are great. Dunno if they can be called British by any shot, but it's a good import.

Open Mike night always means one wanker sits and plays the most depressing set of songs he can to get back at his ex-girlfriend, when I've had to sit through them.  

loIitoads

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:25 am
Shadow of an Illusion

Open Mike night always means one wanker sits and plays the most depressing set of songs he can to get back at his ex-girlfriend, when I've had to sit through them.

The one I go to is pretty cheery. It's country and folky and bluesy and just generally friendly. The guy who runs it wrote an amazing song entitled "Macdonalds Gives You Tits" but we've only managed to get him to do it once. Theres not a terrible lot of getting back at girlfriends.
Someone brings a mouth organ most weeks, plently of guitars, maybe a banjo, often a few drums and theres a piano so theres normally some good jamming. We had a beatboxer turn up one week. He was doing his thing, and then took out his mouth organ and beatboxed while playing Mozart on the mouth organ. He also did some jazz piano, a bit of juggling (all while beatboxing) and then did a Prodogy cover on the sorprano recorder while beatboxing. Now that is Great British music.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff