Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:58 pm
Illiezeulette
Tea, i think all of those topics are really interesting.
I'm kicking around revisiting Body Modification and the Divine with commentary on Rites of Passage and Fashion Victims in modern cultures.

Quote:
maybe that's why they die so quickly? because people aren't educated enough to argue one way or another and can only contribute questions?
Ah, but even questions are a welcomed contribution.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:50 am
too2sweet
TeaDidikai
True Colours of Destiny
Let's make more topics!
I'm all for that. It always seems a shame that some of the most interesting topics die in the first couple days.

That's what happens to me, the few times I ventured to make topics, they all disappeared into oblivion almost instantly. gonk

Same goes with me.

I'm thinking about recycling some of my very older topics and hoping they fare much better the second time around.

However, there is one topic I'm hoping that will flourish, but I can't stress enough that I will report anyone who turns it into a discussion whether the afterlife is real or not. Mostly because I don't want it to devolve into that since we already have so many discussions on that in the first place.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:38 pm
rant: talking to new-agers is so frustrating. one told me that logic is limited and therefore should be abandoned. he said he likes logical fallacies because they breach limitations and limitations are the enemy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:51 pm
Illiezeulette
rant: talking to new-agers is so frustrating. one told me that logic is limited and therefore should be abandoned. he said he likes logical fallacies because they breach limitations and limitations are the enemy.
Maybe he needs to ponder what a curse it would be if our options were limitless?

Boundaries create structure, they present goals. If we could do anything and everything, imaginable or inimaginable, reality as we know it wouldn't exist.

For instance, the reason his heart is still beating because it can only act within the limits of a normal heart. If those limits were removed, it might not sustain his life, indeed, it might burst out his chest of it's own free will. Or hey, the atoms that make him up might suddenly decide to disperse, thus disintegrating him.

Even these analogies are working within limits, and if we were to remove any and all limits, there is no saying what could happen, but it would be beyond our comprehension, and most likely not all that pleasant.

Further, by abandoning logic, he is limiting himself. Thus he is partaking in a self-defeating world view. Limits are bad, he is limited and limiting himself, and thus he is bad.  

Gho the Girl

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:19 pm
Gho the Girl
Illiezeulette
Maybe he needs to ponder what a curse it would be if our options were limitless?

Boundaries create structure, they present goals. If we could do anything and everything, imaginable or inimaginable, reality as we know it wouldn't exist.

For instance, the reason his heart is still beating because it can only act within the limits of a normal heart. If those limits were removed, it might not sustain his life, indeed, it might burst out his chest of it's own free will. Or hey, the atoms that make him up might suddenly decide to disperse, thus disintegrating him.

Even these analogies are working within limits, and if we were to remove any and all limits, there is no saying what could happen, but it would be beyond our comprehension, and most likely not all that pleasant.

Further, by abandoning logic, he is limiting himself. Thus he is partaking in a self-defeating world view. Limits are bad, he is limited and limiting himself, and thus he is bad.

eh, don't get me wrong, i totally tried to correct him on it. he's just very stuck in his worldview.

another thing he said that bugged me was that obligation is betrayal to himself, and that it is selfish for other people to ask things of him that he doesn't want to do.

he's one of those guys who will do whatever feels good and avoids whatever feels bad. he wants unlimited happiness and no suffering.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:29 pm
Illiezeulette
Gho the Girl
Illiezeulette

eh, don't get me wrong, i totally tried to correct him on it. he's just very stuck in his worldview.
Meaning he is limited, and thus has defeated himself.
Quote:

another thing he said that bugged me was that obligation is betrayal to himself, and that it is selfish for other people to ask things of him that he doesn't want to do.
Obligations isn't necessarily betrayal to the self, especially if the obligation is in line with ideas/desires of that self.

Further, yes, it is selfish to ask something of another, but this doesn't make it wrong.
Quote:

he's one of those guys who will do whatever feels good and avoids whatever feels bad. he wants unlimited happiness and no suffering.
Then pity him. He shall never truly be able to appreciate the good in life, since he shall never know the bad. He shall never be able to grow, for it is through hardship and suffering that we become stronger. He will remain an emotional vegetable, and that is a horrible fate.  

Gho the Girl

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:20 pm
Gho the Girl
Then pity him. He shall never truly be able to appreciate the good in life, since he shall never know the bad. He shall never be able to grow, for it is through hardship and suffering that we become stronger. He will remain an emotional vegetable, and that is a horrible fate.

This is exactly what I said to him. He still doesn't understand/willfully ignorant/or what have you.

I really appreciate your feedback... it's great to know that I'm not alone on this one. Almost all of the spiritual people I'm surrounded with IRL nowadays are new-agers and other anti-suffering-ers, and I just don't understand why they are so afraid of it/hate it.

I told him that I had dysmenorrhea, which is a menstrual disorder that basically turns one day per month into a living hell. Extreme vertigo/passing out, can't even keep water down the nausea is so bad, severe cramping, runny poos, etc. I could take birth control to help regulate it, but I choose not to. Because every time I come out stronger and with a greater understanding of the world around me. I live a really, really charmed life so this is my means to bring me down to earth. It's one thing to understand the necessity of suffering intellectually, and another to experience it. My disorder is my experience of suffering, and I love it in that it teaches me so much... more than I can put into words.

He looked at me like I was NUTS.

I have a polarity-loving, suffering-is-necessary cosmology, so no wonder we don't understand each other.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:40 pm
So many of my topics hit an early grave from neglect. But I think I might know why many of mine and many of others topics (very well written and informative topics too) are dying.

Sometimes being well known is problematic. People may find some of us intimidating even if we're gentle as lambs. So how to make the information and presentation less intimidating to new folk? I see so many new saavy intelligent folk in the M&R that are scared shitless to respond to topics or don't think they have anything to offer.

Some have even posted in this thread saying such about themselves. wink

So some words for those of us who could be rather intimidating in the M&R for whatever reasons and some words for those who are new (or even not so new) and feeling inadequate or intimidated.

For the latter folks, don't be intimidated. Present your material carefully, calmly and if you have doubts on what you're saying, express those doubts too. Nothing quite helps to avoid a confrontation like saying, "I'm not sure if this is correct but, ..." or "If my sources are reliable then this..." It keeps you safe from some of the problematic occurrences and conflict in the forum and shows that you also comprehend any possible limitations you may have in your knowledge on the topic. Which makes you very worthy of respect, in my opinion. I'll regularly throw a qualifier into something I don't know because well, I don't want to be taken as an authority if I can't guarantee my accuracy. 3nodding Whether you think you have something to contribute or not, you do have plenty to offer. Even if it's just multitudes of questions. Hell, especially if its multitudes of questions. Questions are a good thing. It makes folk think and thinking helps keep bloodflow strong. *grin*

For the latter group (the intimidating folk) a big problem you guys run into is a wealth of information that makes it seem as though the topic is already an open and shut case. Sometimes its better to actually scale down the topic a bit so that there's still more to say. Even if you're seeking to educate, people will often learn better from an interplay of question and answer then just being told or lectured on a topic in a single post. Sometimes you may even want to raise more questions than statements in an OP just to get discussion moving.

I know information overload and overwhelming material is an issue I have massively. *sweatdrop* I'm sure you all remember my threads with their blue titles and subtitles and huge walls of text. And how they survive for a very short period of time... >.> The regs of the M&R can be very verbose and that's perfectly fine. But if we want to fire up discussion, we need to leave something for other folk to discuss instead of saying most of it ourselves. XD

That's all I can think of for now, but getting a lot of good topics out that generate discussion without too much controversy will really revitalize the forum, imo. So I'm hoping these suggestions help that. 3nodding  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:13 pm
Dear Teammate:
No- me telling you that you need to stop wasting company time by sitting on your a** is not harassment. Especially not the way I phrased it to your face.

Yes, under the guidelines of our company, calling me a ******** b***h is harassment.

No- me reporting your inappropriate behavior is not harassment.

Yes, you getting all your friends at work to treat me like s**t for filing a formal complaint is harassment.

No- I am not picking on you because you're homosexual. rolleyes

Kindly ******** off,
~Tea  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:15 pm
TeaDidikai
Dear Teammate:
No- me telling you that you need to stop wasting company time by sitting on your a** is not harassment. Especially not the way I phrased it to your face.

Yes, under the guidelines of our company, calling me a ******** b***h is harassment.

No- me reporting your inappropriate behavior is not harassment.

Yes, you getting all your friends at work to treat me like s**t for filing a formal complaint is harassment.

No- I am not picking on you because you're homosexual. rolleyes

Kindly ******** off,
~Tea

Just tell them that your gay brother told you it was ok to be homophobic to asshats.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:46 pm
CuAnnan

Just tell them that your gay brother told you it was ok to be homophobic to asshats.
That, or have them talk to my ex-girlfriends. It'll be news to them that I find same sex couples repulsive.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:07 pm
Illiezeulette
I told him that I had dysmenorrhea, which is a menstrual disorder that basically turns one day per month into a living hell.

Is that what it's called? I think I have that too, but the doctors here didn't even know enough to give it a name really. I took the BC for a while, but it didn't really help. They said if they couldn't find any other treatment, I could opt for getting my reproductive organs taken out, but I said hell no to that. I want kids someday.
I've tested it, sort of (had it since I was 11). If I eat more protein, and take calcium and magnesium supplements regularly, and stay out in the sun more, I can stave off the worst of it. So mine may be a diet problem. Not sure what yours might be.

Anyway, on topic. I've started trying to post a bit more in M&R, rather than lurking a lot. It does try my knowledge a bit, but like Poe said, I'll probably learn more by doing that than just lurking.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:38 pm
If nothing else, you might get questions answered. ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:04 pm
TeaDidikai
If nothing else, you might get questions answered. ninja

3nodding Granted, if some take notice.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

patch99329

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:52 pm
Illiezeulette

I told him that I had dysmenorrhea, which is a menstrual disorder that basically turns one day per month into a living hell.

You know, that has resonance with me!
I get alot of the symptoms you listed. Including cramps so bad I can't walk and no amount of painkiller will help, vomiting a whole lot etc.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games