Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Music Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 90 91 92 93 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXx White Lily xXx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:13 am
Heterodyne
I continue to be entirely sold on IAMX.
I saw them live last week! Chris Corner is a fittie whee  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:26 am
I just booked to go and see The Turn of the Screw in London, I'm so excited.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:48 am
Enter Shikari on the 1st of Nov. ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:19 am
I was camped next to some guys with the best Enter Shikari piss-take impression at Download Festival this summer.

Heaven & Hell are on the 10th of November. Dio and Iommi, pure British legends. Iommi playing at his unrivalled standard after losing the tops of his fingers to machinery as a kid is way more impressive than Def Leppard's one armed drummer.

Colibee

loIitoads

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:57 am
Lily Allen. I can quite happily mention her next to Dio, Iommi and all. She's captured modern day Britain in her music. Those others just made music... Britain always has been a little musically stunted though D: I'm sick of our Indie crap D:  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:01 am
Pokegirl Princess Lolicat
Lily Allen. I can quite happily mention her next to Dio, Iommi and all. She's captured modern day Britain in her music. Those others just made music... Britain always has been a little musically stunted though D: I'm sick of our Indie crap D:

It's like, everything you say is a direct inversion of the truth.

It's great.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:31 am
I'm not sure Mary. "She's captured modern day Britain in her music" is at least partly true - she represents a good deal of what's wrong with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:30 am
Hm, in modern terms we do kick the world's a** at music. We had the Beatles, Rolling Stones etc.

However, if you look at the classical composers we've had, our's are pretty pathetic compared to the rest of Europe's. Look at the area which is now Austria. They've had Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, Mahler, Schoenberg, Bruckner and the Strauss family. Look at Germany. They've had Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner, Schumann, Handel, Mendelssohn, J.S. Bach etc. Look at Russia. They've had Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, Rimsky-Korsakov etc. France and Italy have had fantastic composers as well.

We've had Elgar, Purcell, Britten and Vaughan Williams. And they don't even come close to the might of Austrians and Germans...

We fail at classical music. emo  

Le Aristocrat

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:39 pm
Boolean Julian
I'm not sure Mary. "She's captured modern day Britain in her music" is at least partly true - she represents a good deal of what's wrong with it.

Not in the sense that Pokegirl meant.

You're talking about Lily Allen as an example of what's wrong with Britain -- P-girl meant that Lily Allen's music itself explains what modern Britain is like. Like, deliberately.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:58 pm
Le Aristocrat
Hm, in modern terms we do kick the world's a** at music. We had the Beatles, Rolling Stones etc.

However, if you look at the classical composers we've had, our's are pretty pathetic compared to the rest of Europe's. Look at the area which is now Austria. They've had Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, Mahler, Schoenberg, Bruckner and the Strauss family. Look at Germany. They've had Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner, Schumann, Handel, Mendelssohn, J.S. Bach etc. Look at Russia. They've had Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, Rimsky-Korsakov etc. France and Italy have had fantastic composers as well.

We've had Elgar, Purcell, Britten and Vaughan Williams. And they don't even come close to the might of Austrians and Germans...

We fail at classical music. emo

I disagree. I think Britten is one of the greatest composers of the 20th century. In my opinion to say he "doesn't even come close" to Austrian and German composers simply demonstrates a lack of knowledge of Britten's masterpieces. I also recommend you listen more to the music of Ireland, Bridge, Stanford, Pott et. al....there's a whole wonderful tradition of post-impressionist English composers in the mid 20th century.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:59 pm
Foetus In Fetu
Boolean Julian

Not in the sense that Pokegirl meant.

You're talking about Lily Allen as an example of what's wrong with Britain -- P-girl meant that Lily Allen's music itself explains what modern Britain is like. Like, deliberately.

I was aware of that. It was simply my pathetic attempt at humour.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:49 am
I did mean she represents it in the same way you guys do... I just happen to revel in modern culture... It's amazing! But yea, I'm aware that there are a great many problems with it... I just feel too enamoured of the world to really care.

And yea, we weren't always musically stunted if you look at the Beatles, etc, but it's been a long time since we've had a really, truly great band with staying power. (Whoops, talk about loving disposable culture, then talk about staying power, haha!)  

loIitoads

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:36 am
I did mean she represents it in the same way you guys do... I just happen to revel in modern culture... It's amazing! But yea, I'm aware that there are a great many problems with it... I just feel too enamoured of the world to really care.

And yea, we weren't always musically stunted if you look at the Beatles, etc, but it's been a long time since we've had a really, truly great band with staying power. (Whoops, talk about loving disposable culture, then talk about staying power, haha!)

Erm. Radiohead? Probably the greatest and most innovative band in the world today?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:08 pm
Also, you know -- The Libertines.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

xXx White Lily xXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:27 am
Britain always has been a little musically stunted though D:
I dunno why I'm saying this cause everyone already knows it but...
That's just so not true on so many levels

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 90 91 92 93 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces