Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
The topic which rapidly degenerated... [MISC] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 103 104 105 106 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:06 pm
Foetus In Fetu
It must be really nice to afford to do that. >_>

I'm not sure I can, even having traded three cooks for one.

I'm in my overdraft, after all..

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:13 pm
Shadow of an Illusion
Invictus_88
Shadow of an Illusion
Invictus_88
Shadow of an Illusion
Invictus_88
I'm no good at cooking and have never enjoyed it. Other people love it though, so surely having them cook for me supports the greater good? Surely?

I'm not convinced.

Whyever not? Seems reasonable, surely?

Still getting someone else to cook for you.

You get someone else to grow your food, I presume, even if you do cook it yourself. No?

Don't you get someone else to make your clothes?

Just as your time is too valuable to spend time making clothes, growing vegetables and butchering animals, mine is too valuable to learn to cook. If that changes, I might learn, but I just don't value the skill in myself.

It's a basic life skill.

And my ma's a farmer, more food produced than consumed so the food balance is in my favour. If I could get the sewing machine to work I would give the whole clothes thing a shot. As it is purses and bags have to suffice

If your time really is that valuable I have nothing against doing it on occasion. But time spent not doing anything more than surviving is time well spent IMO. Reflection and all that.

Making one's own clothes used to be a basic life skill too, like weaving mats. Really, there's nothing more to what is deemed an 'essential life skill' (cooking, as a current example) and an endearing eccentricity (making one's own clothing or furniture, as a current example) than the societal expectations of the day.

If I pay someone to cook for me, the same transaction is taking place for the same reasons as most in this country pay someone else to make their clothes and furniture.

What happens if I can no longer afford to employ a cook? Same as to those who can no longer afford to buy furniture or clothing. I'll struggle, but cope.

I remember having time to reflect. I miss that.

Invictus_88
Captain

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:46 pm
Invictus_88

Perfect excuse to make some.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:45 pm
Shadow of an Illusion
Invictus_88

If I make time, I fail my degree. I hope that clarifies the situation.

I'm not hoping to convert you, I'm hoping to ascertain your reasons. So far you've simply not been convinced without really saying why.

Unless one has to have a business account and special business paper to employ someone, it seems.

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:43 pm
In true miscellaneous style: [link]  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:22 pm
Invictus_88
Shadow of an Illusion
Invictus_88

If I make time, I fail my degree. I hope that clarifies the situation.

I'm not hoping to convert you, I'm hoping to ascertain your reasons. So far you've simply not been convinced without really saying why.

Unless one has to have a business account and special business paper to employ someone, it seems.

I have said why. You just don't see my reasons as valid. That's fine, I can see ways round your reasons too.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:14 am
Just it's a basic life skill?

Damn. I can't ride, quote the Bible or remove shirt-stains either.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:21 am
Actually, you should try learning to cook. It's extremely useful, it's fun and therapeutic. Try doing it just once or twice a week. I can't believe that your workload is quite so intensive that you can't take half an hour to cook a meal once a week.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:45 am
Boolean Julian
Actually, you should try learning to cook. It's extremely useful, it's fun and therapeutic. Try doing it just once or twice a week. I can't believe that your workload is quite so intensive that you can't take half an hour to cook a meal once a week.

It's boring and frustrating. Like a chemistry set without explosions.

I can an do boil pasta, and I do toast, fried breakfasts and, er. Boiled eggs.

I'm not utterly incapable, just mostly. And I am shockingly busy.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:28 pm
Okay, it may be that I'm just naturally good at cooking or something, but I really don't see how intelligent people can find it difficult. I mean, you just follow a recipe, right? I think there's a bit of a myth a lot of people believe in that cooking is some mysterious art which only a few people have skill for, and some people just can't do. That's not true. You just put some stuff in a pan, poke it a bit, put some more stuff in, etcetera. It's all basically variations on that.

And yeah, cooking on your own not doing anything else is boring. That's why I look cooking for friends, where you can be having a conversation at the same time, or listening to music while cooking, or an interesting radio programme, or something.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Creatio ex Nihilo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:10 am
Boolean Julian
Okay, it may be that I'm just naturally good at cooking or something, but I really don't see how intelligent people can find it difficult. I mean, you just follow a recipe, right? I think there's a bit of a myth a lot of people believe in that cooking is some mysterious art which only a few people have skill for, and some people just can't do. That's not true. You just put some stuff in a pan, poke it a bit, put some more stuff in, etcetera. It's all basically variations on that.

And yeah, cooking on your own not doing anything else is boring. That's why I look cooking for friends, where you can be having a conversation at the same time, or listening to music while cooking, or an interesting radio programme, or something.

I like cooking and listening to Daily Cooks or MTV razz Our radio is rather rotten so I don't bother with it. I also cook whilst talking to my sister or to my mum.
It helps but you really do have to keep your eye on it...or else it shall burn. Anybody knows that.  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:32 pm
Thought I'd better share it.

Quote:
(angry gaian fellow)
Invictus_88
Denied Application
Hello, I live in Northampton, england and must say that joining this guild would be my salvation. At present, gaia appears to me to be a pprtal into a swirling mess of incorrect spelling, improper grammar and "fries". Ahem. And I would also like to use your guild as a means to spread the word that not all "Britishers" have a fondness for tea and sconnes. Eat shortbread, yanks. thanks.

You're free to reapply when your grammar has improved, but until you show you can use copital letter in the right place you'd feel and look very out of place posting on out forums.

Whilst honing your presentation, you may wish to join the UK Guild of Gaia or one of the other Anglic guilds.

Firstly, the only time in that post a capital letter was not correctly used was in the word 'thanks' at the end. Secondly, how dare you complain about my grammar when you spell like a pig on cocaine? What the hell are 'copital letters' and it's 'our' forums, not 'out forums'. You are a hippocrite and I shall report you.

With respect, I am at university and have been sitting exams all week. I typed this having fallen and shredded the skin from my left hand and sat a three hour exam and I'm severely dyslexic.
Anyway, excuses aside. I would have stepped down and let you in - my spelling having been so bad there - but you got terribly angry and threatened to waste admin time over it all.
Admittance is at the discretion of the Guild staff, and as Guild owner and Captain it is my view that you take life too seriously to fit in here.

Best of luck elsewhere.

Cheerio,

Invictus_88

I was happy to admit my typos were dire, but he got all serious on me, and it's late, and I'm tired, so I decided to shoot him down.

Good call/bad call?

Invictus_88
Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:32 pm
Too uptight. While it may be a little harsh to refuse them, they could at least take it with some grace. Hell, making up a response along your lines would have been more appropriate.

I'd love to see you reported for being a hippocrite [sic].  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:18 pm
You should have told him that you'd just done a line of coke and that was why your spelling was so bad.

I think it was kind of harsh not to let him in in the first place, but his reply was ridiculous.

EDIT: It's even more hilarious because that's what he'd accused you of. Smart subconscious.

You should have told him you were having sex at the time, and then accused him of being jealous because you get more action than him.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

[Finrod]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:33 pm
Might want to change his username to "Denied Application" in the later nested quote as well, chap.

(Currently, the quote is nested thus:

1st quote- "Denied Application"
2nd quote - Invictus_88
3rd quote - Actual username)

Agree that although initial refusal was somewhat harsh, applicant launched teddies out of cot far too swiftly and vehemently. It's also pretty much a fundamental law of the internet that all posts with spelling and grammatical criticisms contain spelling and grammatical errors themselves and it's refreshing to see that the tradition continues (I now have an image of a fantasy creature to be called a "hippocrite": half horse, half critic ... )

EDIT: Now username altered to "Angry Gaian Fellow" - sorted.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 103 104 105 106 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games