Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
What ruins a good fantasy story? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read a book that is ruined?
yes
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
no
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
In a way, yes, but it came out good in the end
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

Black_Rose10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:50 pm
One way that ruins a good book is when your brother tells you the ending.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:51 pm
Yes.

1) Bad grammer that is obvious
2) Slow going and never seems to go anywhere
3) The evil/hated characters win
4) The ending is spoiled.
5) Can't think of any thing else.  

Sumus Pura Lux

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:05 pm
What I hate is when the final part of the story collapses. Like the author was just tired of writing the book and rushed through the last 4/5 chapters.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:17 pm
I'd have to say-rather type-that it gets ruined when it gets too caught up in being grand, majestic, and the end of the world. Some authors can pull the end of the world off, others get so tied up that it just feels like they wrote the story through a form. It's not really coming out right, don't know if any of ya'll will understand what I mean.  

doodlebuggey88

JRay18

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:36 pm
Here's waht ruins it for me.
a. bad grammar, as said before
b. Too little action
c. Too much action (You need to have a good balance of both)
d. when ANYONE tells you the ending or tells you the plot before you've read it.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:41 am
Poor writing. If the style is so obtuse, or the sentences so poorly worded I can't understand them without rereading at least 3 times, I'm putting that book down. No matter what. I just can't force myself through things like that. I've had to stop books before that I found really interesting just because it wasn't worth it to read 'em.

Uninteresting characters. I want to enjoy follow the characters around. Even if I think they're bad people I want them to be neat characters. If they're dull, or contradictory (without seeming like the author did that on purpose) or just plain annoying to read about, I'll probably drop that book and move on.

...Other than that? I dunno. I'm pretty easy with getting in to books--the story doesn't even have to blow me away, if I like the writing and/or the characters.
I like when there's a lot of action.
I like when it's mostly just a character study.
I like dragons and knights and wizards, or when there are no dragons and knights and wizards.

I'm like some sort of book slut. biggrin  

Mink Biscuit

JRay18

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:54 pm
So...... you like it when there are wizrds, knights, and dragons, and when there aren't, so..... do you not like it when there kinda are knights, dragons, and wizards? burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:55 pm
bad puncuation.
in my group of friends, several of us are writers, and we'll switch stories and critique and stuff, and one of us, im not name names *coughshawncough* needs to learn how to use commas.

also, endings that are a)obvious, expected, and utterly predictable, and b)that are just flat out given away.  

haelia

portofships

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:16 pm
One of the biggest down falls of the fantasy genre is that it is hard to be creative. I find that if a fantasy book is ridden with cliches and archetypes, it is hard to stay interested, especially as a more advanced reader. The best fantasy books are one part fantasy, one part realism, one part comedy, and one part tragedy. They have to have a bit of everything, which is why it is so hard to write really good fantasy.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:16 pm
1. bad ending (like protector of the small, i mean c'mon! the ending would b better w/out the epilogue!)
2. obvious plot line: if they just used different WORDS it wouldn't be so obvious, like in the riddle, OBVIOUSLY cadvan doesn't die...characters like that don't die in young adult fiction. that's just not how it works.
3. when u know there's a sequel but u don't want to read it. that means u were either disappointed w/ the ending and don't feel up to it or there's no cliff hanger (feels like there's nothin left to tell)
4. ruins the feeling for me when its too short or the author jumps around so much on the timeline i can't follow it (the only time that happened to me tho wasn't fantasy)
5. when the plot is a total rip off. i actually don't mind when they'r similar, b/c it's hard to b creative AND if the author's any good s/he'll add a couple unforseen twists. but when it's something like a fairy tale retelling...at least make it funny!
6. when i have to do a book report. i don't like describing plots, i like READING them.

kk, done spazing now mrgreen  

Ziannna

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:42 pm
1. Plot that's way too predictable.
2. too much gooey discription
3. BAD romance stories (you know the ones, where they fall in love in like 5 minutes and aways call each other "dear" or "my heart")
4. When the main character dies
5. WHen the main character falls in love with an animal *twitch*
6. Too little or unimaginative description.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:03 pm
What ruins a good story for me is when an author writes a great story that captivates your mind so completely that your holding your breath for this stupendous ending, and then, the story just ends, plain and boring.  

Twilights_dawn13

Foodable Noodles

2,050 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:33 am
What would ruin a good book for me?
It would probably be a book with a good story, but too many hard words. When there are too many difficult words in a book, I read really slow, and after a while I just give up on the book.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:03 pm
For me a bad fantasy is when the main character is ANNOYING! Not annoying in good way because tht can work. But when the character is wishy washy and then to make it worse he just got a dual personalty! And they'reboth annoying.
Another thing that makes a bad fantasy is too much romance or rather where the romance is all bickering!!! Sorry to say I didn't like Molly in Farseer. I wanted to boot her in the tush!!
For me I like characterization. So books that don't I don't like.
There you have it  

Bun-Chan

portofships

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:16 pm
Bun-Chan
For me a bad fantasy is when the main character is ANNOYING!
Amen to that, buddy. Why read a book when you can't stand the main character?  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff